Your most embarrassing moment on skates | Golden Skate

Your most embarrassing moment on skates

treesprite

Final Flight
So, what was your most embarrassing moment while skating? Or at least, what is the most embarrassing thing you have ever seen anyone else do while skating?

I will tell you one by giving a warning: do not spin while having a sinus infection. Every single person on the ice becomes a moving target to a long, stretched out gooey strand. When I was a kid I was in the midst of a very fast spin, and to my shock and disgust... and shame... I saw the string stretching longer and thinner from my nose before it went flinging away. I was spinning, so I have no idea where it went, and have no idea if anyone saw it happen. I hope no one saw it - no one ever said anything to me, but if you saw such a thing, would you say something? Would y ou say something if you were the target it hit?

So that was my deep dark embarrassing skating secret. How about yours?

^^ Yes, if I got close to that thing I would be telling people about it for the rest of my life. Thanks for the warning. I'll make sure never to get on-ice seats! LOL.

Skaters: Blow your nose!

treesprite

Final Flight
When a person has a sinus infection, blowing the nose is not much help.

Ripped my pants at the seem when I fell on my butt...
I hope you were wearing attractive underwear... or just plain underwear....

AmuChan363

Rinkside
walking on in my soakers and completely killing myself.

or putting one foot down with my guards but almostfalling over, but trying to look cool but just falling between the ice and the land.

mskater93

Record Breaker
When a person has a sinus infection, blowing the nose is not much help.

I hope you were wearing attractive underwear... or just plain underwear....
Unfortunately, no, it was a wake up and run to the rink throwing on "whatever" kind of morning. :eek:: Full moon and all. Luckily there were only a few people out there and I had a pair of shorts I threw on underneath.

thevaliantx

Rinkside
As a newbie there will be LOTS of more falls for me before it's all over, but today I had one. About a month ago I had some really nasty falls in which landed squarely on my knees on the ice. Both knees still have deep bone bruises. Because of that I have been wearing hockey knee/shin guards. Those things definitely have nice padding in them, and they also ... don't ... stop you when you're sliding on the ice after a fall. During the lesson today I ended up doing a belly flop after tripping on my toe picks, and slid about 30 feet or so across the rink. I had to literally hug the ice to stop sliding. When I got up I did fist pumps with both hands while looking up into the crowd of parents watching their kids on the ice. My coach started cracking up. :laugh:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was many years ago now, but I still remember the fall I took where somehow I fell very awkwardly and cut both my pants and my butt with my blade. Getting off the ice while trying to staunch the bleeding was a nightmare. Plus they were my favorite pants at the time...

macy

Record Breaker
probably the times i have stepped on the ice with my guards on... -________________-

UsedtoDance

Rinkside
Well there was the time I came down with the flu after a layback in the middle of my program, wandered around a bit while figuring out where I was then completed the program with single jumps only willing myself not to throw up. I did come back a couple of events later to win the solo dance. There was also the program where my brother dislocated his finger mid program getting it caught in my dress and skated the rest of the program essentially giving to finger to everyone. I wondered why he ran off to the first aid room after the marks. Oh ya the time he sliced my ankle in a show program and I ended the program with blood dripping down my boot...probably should have had stitches for that. Not paying attention one time during a seminar and doing some exercise right into the end boards. The time my synchro team came out of an element the wrong way and most of the team stood around the middle confused while my line kept going with the program turned around. The rest of the team gathered in the corner to start the next element so my line had to push like H E Double hockey sticks to join back up with them. Btw this was in a competition...and my line never broke hold while racing to join the rest of our team.

I think that is about it.

skaterlover

Spectator
I had just started skating, and I thought that I was really good and stuff. I took off my sweatshirt, and was skating it over to the boards (keep in mind that I am skating with excellent skaters and I can barely do a toe loop at the time), and I stepped on my sweatshirt and fell. Everyone was laughing at me.

Another time I was skating, and I tripped over my toe pick and went head first into the boards. Of course Don Jackson (1960 World Champion, currently teaching at my club) had to see it.

treesprite

Final Flight
A couple months ago when I hit my elbow nerve on the ice, it hurt so bad I let out an unexpected f- word which I think everyone heard. Not very lady-like.

icedust

Rinkside
It's a heads-up for me between two incidents which occurred many, many years apart.

1) Went on to the ice during a gala, wearing my guards. It was televised. I was like, 10. Thankfully it was edited out!
2) Having a bit too much champagne to celebrate the end of gruelling show rehearsals then going back on for the last session of the night (in my defence this was at like 9/10pm). Whoosh, straight on my butt. Alcohol + cold = embarrassment!!!!!!

Gigi
X

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildstorm

Rinkside
Haha I've stepped on the ice in guards, ripped my pants, had the booger fly out of the nose while spinning, crashed straight into the boards while shoot-the-ducking, tripped the dance partner...
But my most embarasing things were:
1) During our ice show finale I tripped over my toepics a biellman spiral, fell, got back up, and fell again.
2) Was partnering with Kyle on the American and took the guy's position insead of the girl's.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Wildstorm, I love yours! LOL! My most embarrassing moment was the very first time anyone in my family came to see me skate. It was a competition, and my father, brother, sister-in-law and nieces all came to watch. On the 6-minute warmup, I suddenly remembered near the end that I hadn't warmed up my flying camel. I was clearly a little too hyped up about it, because I overshot, flipped myself over and landed on the back of my head. Great first impression. . .NOT!! And of course I was so shaken up that I did not skate well. :(