Brian Joubert: Reloaded | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert: Reloaded

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brian Joubert of France finished a strong fourth at the 2012 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Nice, France this past week.

More

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert of France finished a strong fourth at the 2012 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Nice, France this past week.
That was an interesting read - I think Brian is very realistic regarding where he is in his career and what he needs (and wants) to do going forward.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
A decade of Brian-he is a true champion and as far as 2012, for me, Best Matrix ever! Great skate, inspiring from 27 year old brian on the heals of a decade younger wunderkind (Hanyu) who skated very well. Kudos to Jouby!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great interview. Brian sounds like he is in good place career-wise and he has a plan. Wishing Brian the best of luck next season.

Victura

On the Ice
Thanks for this article! It clearly meant a lot to him to perform well at Worlds in his home country, especially after two inconsistent seasons and a rough start this year. It's good to hear that he's trying to work on the artistic aspect of his skating, and I do see an improvement already. I was in the audience for Worlds, and his exhibition program was quite touching and not something I was used to seeing from him...he got down on his knees to bow at the end, as if to thank his countrymen and everyone else for supporting him. From a lot of his recent interviews, it sounds like he's matured a lot since his early competitive days. Wish him all the best for the World Team Trophy and next season!

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Watching Brian skating that well to that old Matrix program was a highlight of the event for me. I was so happy for him that he was finally able to skate clean the way we know he can even if he wasn't rewarded with a medal.

Victura, allow me to welcome you also.

I finally got to see Joubert's long program this afternoon. The guy is back! I am so glad he and his fans will have this splendid program, on home ice, to remember. It's immaterial that he did not get a medal. There just wasn't room for all the best skaters on that podium.

One thing I realized about Brian today (besides the fact that he's so fine-looking, which I knew already, is that he has just the most gorgeous posture and carriage. That's not automatic with skaters. For example, I noticed today that Leonova hunches a bit, as Oksana Baiul used to. But Joubert? He stands like a premier danseur noble. And then there are the jumps...wow.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Wow, Joubert will continue! Wish him all the best! If he is as great as he was at the worlds this time, he'll definitely be a force in the upcoming season!:thumbsup:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the lovely article.

Brian is likely to continue until Sochi season! Wow, how nice!

I so wanted Brian to get on the podium, since it was likely for him to be his last Worlds in France in front of home crowd.
His performances were definately brilliant and exciting. Besides he was the cleanest among the top 7...When the result did not come as expected, I was so sad for him and his fans.

His brilliant performaces on home ice was one of my highlights, along with Kevin VdP's perfect skate and Dai's quads in SP (though a fall on second 3T) and LP, at this particular Worlds.
I am glad to know that Brian in this article sounds so positive and looks ahead of his future.

I also love he is talking about having two new programs next season. (In general, I am against that skaters, especially top skaters use the same program two years in a row, barring an injury.)

I hope he will pick up a classical music again. There are lots of classical music that surely suits his style. He has so much grace with his skating. He no longer needs powerful music from movie soundtrack.
I really look forward to seeing Brian skate to lyrical, softer music to showcase his skating skill.

Brian, a lot of your fans are awating you in Tokyo next week!

Last edited:

Victura

On the Ice
Thanks, Olympia :)

I absolutely agree with what you said regarding his posture and carriage. I was very pleasantly surprised by the artistic side of his skating. Most of what I knew about him before was that he had great jumping skills and strange (at least to me) music choices, and he's been criticized quite a bit for his lack of presentation skills, transitions, and only being a jumper that I wasn't expecting much of his in-betweens. There's actually this Japanese documentary that was done a few years back that emphasized how the straightness of his body contributes directly to how fast he can rotate in the air and the success of his jumps. (I don't speak Japanese, but the visuals in the video give you a pretty good idea of what they're getting at.)

A bit of an aside, but here's a fun moment from the Worlds exhibition practice, with Brian and Florent doing side-by-side twizzles! :)

Medusa

Record Breaker
One thing I realized about Brian today (besides the fact that he's so fine-looking, which I knew already, is that he has just the most gorgeous posture and carriage. That's not automatic with skaters. For example, I noticed today that Leonova hunches a bit, as Oksana Baiul used to. But Joubert? He stands like a premier danseur noble. And then there are the jumps...wow.

Yeah, well. Back in the day that was simply enough. Gorgeous guy, decent skating skills and good speed, excellent posture and carriage, some charisma and of course - massive jumps. Voilà, a Champion.

Suddenly I feel all nostalgic. ;)

enlight78

Medalist
Joubert have finally made be a fan of his skating. it has improves a lot over the past two years, I hope he does as well over the next two years.