Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Programs by Discipline

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Toni, I've never watched the whole of Mary Poppins :slinkaway: so I don't know all the songs.

Which of the songs sounds like a polka to you?
    I answered in the other thread but I think Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious would work with the pattern as well as Step in Time... mix in a bit of Chim Chim Chiree and I think you have a good program for the SD... they're not *polka* but in the case of the first one espeically the music does work for what the pattern calls for... and if Harlem Nocturne worked for the SD last year...

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    doris , I thought I was the only one who'd never watched all of Mary Poppins.

Maybe there's more..it could be a secret sisterhood...( so secret we don't even know who we all are...)

For its day it was such a good film. Disney may be considered "just for kids and saps" but a lot of technology that they pioneered led to advances in film and sciences that we still benefit from. I wish the days of Eisner and even the current leadership had more of Disney's mindset and not just the $$ signs...

Mary Poppins is a bubblegum musical, but it showcased some real talent, and was a good retelling of the books. And who doesn't love the pairing of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke?!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I answered in the other thread but I think Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious would work with the pattern as well as Step in Time... mix in a bit of Chim Chim Chiree and I think you have a good program for the SD... they're not *polka* but in the case of the first one espeically the music does work for what the pattern calls for... and if Harlem Nocturne worked for the SD last year...
    Forgive me if I am repeating old news, but FWIW:
    Gilles and Poirier have been tweeting lines specifically from Chim Chim Cher-ee and A Spoonful of Sugar (but without saying outright that those are their chosen Mary Poppins songs).

Custom Title
    Announced by 2012 U.S. Senior ice dance pewter medalists Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt on their newly re-designed official site today: http://www.lynnandlogan.com/main/our...e-dance-music/
    We want to take this opportunity to announce that we will be skating to Adele’s “Turning Tables” and “Rumor Has It” for free dance. Short dance is still up in the air, but we have a few options that we are equally as excited about.

Ugh. Why would they skate to Adele???

I for one am really looking forward to Lynn and Logan skating to Adele. I'm not sure how I feel about Piper and Paul's Mary Poppins. I am a fan of the movie/book, but I'm not a huge fan of Piper and Paul.. that could change though.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Tweeted by @RichardDornbush today (re. his new SP music):
    I'm skating to an instrumental of "With or Without You"

This is a version of a U2 song

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I actually like that Piper/Paul are doing something upbeat. I don't think they've had enough time together as a team to do something dramatic, but hopefully, they will. I just hope that their coaching team doesn't force anything on to them that is beyond their performing capability.

Custom Title
    Jeff Buttle will be choreographing all of Nan Song's programs. No info on music yet.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Do tell us when you hear!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Florent Amodio has just sent tweets ("shouting" even) to solicit ideas for his new programs:

@AmodioFlorent
    "HAVE YOU GOT NICE IDEAS FOR MY NEW PROGRAMS 2013 !! ?? WRITE IT PLEASE !!"

‏@AmodioFlorent
    "Si vous avez de belles idées pour moi pour mes nouveaux programmes en cette saison pré olympique je serais heureux de vous lire!! A très vite"
    Last edited by golden411; 05-07-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: content tweak

Toni, I've never watched the whole of Mary Poppins :slinkaway: so I don't know all the songs.
    But check out the stage version if you get a chance! -- I think it is still touring.

Chim-chim Cher-ee won the oscar for best song in 1964. (A Hard Day's Night by the Beatles wasn't nominated! ) Although the words are nonsensical and upbeat, the actual music is in a spooky minor key -- very much the two sides of the character of Mary Poppins from the books. (The half-way scary supernatural side of Mary Poppins was not present in the Julie Andrews portrayal.)

Spoonful of sugar seems a little slow for a polka. It is, however, very similar to "Shall We Dance?" from the King and I (Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner) which is supposed to be a polka. (Mrs. MM always swoons at the first few seconds of this clip. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdyqmN5cnRQ&t=3m5s

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Ice Dance

Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giuiletti-Schmitt USA
    SD
    FD Adele’s “Turning Tables” and “Rumor Has It”
    I love this team, and I like Adele, but I'd rather watch them skate to this Adele song:

http://youtu.be/8glDy7OsHNs

Rinkside
    rumor has it program should be good!!

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast