2012-2013 Programs by Discipline | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2012-2013 Programs by Discipline

Macassar88

Medalist
Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran
SP "Ain't No Sunshine" http://youtu.be/tAvK0lZ4mQE

I love the choreography and the transitions but I HATE the music. This may be a program that I have to watch on mute. I think that the idea was interesting and I love the intricacy of the program, but I can't get over how bad the music is. I think this is one of those songs that needs vocals, and I think it could have been great for a post sochi season when vocals could be allowed.
Also, it brings up inevitable comparisons for me with Navka and Kostomarov who have possibly my favorite original dance of all time (2004 OD) which used this music as well.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I love the choreography and the transitions but I HATE the music. This may be a program that I have to watch on mute. I think that the idea was interesting and I love the intricacy of the program, but I can't get over how bad the music is. I think this is one of those songs that needs vocals, and I think it could have been great for a post sochi season when vocals could be allowed.
Also, it brings up inevitable comparisons for me with Navka and Kostomarov who have possibly my favorite original dance of all time (2004 OD) which used this music as well.

I am not a fan of the music choice, although it doesn't quite rise to the level of a must-mute. To me, the music sounds the instrumental part of some American Idol contestant's cover of Bill Withers, but the vocals are replaced with strings. It's a very, very uninspired arrangement. Waste of an orchestra.

And yeah, it is things like this that makes me look forward to the post-Sochi season of vocal music in the rest of skating. Can you imagine footwork done to the "I know... I know... I know..." part? Or maybe a series of butterflies...

inskate

On the Ice
I don't really mind the music, although I'd prefer if they left out the David Garett part, the weepy violin part is sort of Muzak-y sounding. The part at the beginning and in the middle is actually quite lovely and suits T/T to a T. ;) I wish they would replace the Garret parts with a better arrangement,, but I heard worse.
The program itself looks very promising. The spins/jumps and some parts (like the ending) look quite rough at this point, but the choreo looks lovely and innovative and they have amazing posture and extension. I pray they manage to fix their jump issues! :)

aniela

On the Ice
from icenetwork's article:
Cappellini and Lanotte plan to skate to music from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers for the short dance and Carmen for the free dance.

Macassar88

Medalist

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran
SP "Ain't No Sunshine" http://youtu.be/tAvK0lZ4mQE
I believe this version of "Ain't No Sunshine" (Bill Withers) is performed by violinist David Garrett on his 2009 album. Julie Marcotte is T/T's choreographer.

A few more updates...

LADIES

Mariah Bell USA
SP Bruch's Scottish Fantasy, Op. 46. performed by violinist Vanessa-Mae.
It's not the original classical piece by Bruch but is based on the 3rd movement as arranged and peformed by violinist Vanessa-Mae. I searched online and believe Bell's SP version is from a track titled "I’m A-Doun for Lack O’ Johnnie (A Little Scottish Fantasy)" -- see: http://www.vanessamae.com/doun.shtml
You can listen to it here (starting around the 1-min. mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGUVfg82B8g
Video of Bell's winning Junior SP as skated at the Vail Invitational this past weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDXOiVltfU

Polina Edmunds USA
SP "Two Guitars" (Russian Gypsy Folk Song) - identified by "Stephanie" at FSU

Zoe Gong CAN
Her Novice FS is to James Bond medley (though Novice level skaters usually are not listed here?)

MEN

Harrison Choate USA
SP Latin medley of "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" and "Mambo Jambo" by Perez Prado
LP "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue"

Timothy Koleto USA
SP "Dark Secret" (last year’s Waltz program)
LP Samuel Barber's "Cello Concerto in A minor," choreographed by David Wilson (from an April 2012 Inside Edge blog on IN)

PAIRS

Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage USA
LP Carmen by Bizet

Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier USA
LP "La Strada" soundtrack by Nino Rota (Julie Marcotte choreographed for them this season, according to a May 2012 Golden Skate article.)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Aunt Joyce says V&M's FD is to Carmen.

I hope this is an unsubstantiated rumor that turns out to be untrue.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aunt Joyce says V&M's FD is to Carmen.

I hope this is an unsubstantiated rumor that turns out to be untrue.

Whatever the truth is, now would seem to be a good time for V/M to work extra-intensively with Zoueva.
The Shibutanis and D/W have left for Japan to perform in The Ice 2012 shows through July 29.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Oh god PLEASE NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless it's Karmin lol (although that might be even worse)

OMG YES! I like this! Honestly, I think Scott would make an amazing Don Jose. Maybe Tessa will play not Carmen, but the often-forgotten, Micaela...the girl Don Jose leaves for Carmen.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
An ice dancing team doing Carmen may not be so bad. At least they'd be able to use the vocal version, and not some insipid instrumentals. I like the Carmen opera, and wouldn't mind seeing my favorite ice dancing team take it on. Mind you, I can't think of any ice dancing competitive routines set to Carmen vocals. If someone would post a batch of them, I will watch them all, then maybe I'll be sick of it and turn against V/M's music choice. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Where? I can't find it. If Aunt Joyce deleted it, I'll presume it's an unsubstantiated rumour.

Based on what I have read on FSU and then looked at myself, I think what transpired is the following:
The unsubstantiated comments about V/M and Carmen are not on the "Aunt Joyce" blog per se (or at least they did not originate there); instead they are on an "Aunt Joyce" Q & A page [I don't know whether posting the URL for the Q & A site is against GS rules].
And the initial comment came not from Aunt Joyce, but from an anonymous poster (who did not specifically indicate Carmen as SD or FD, by the way).
Aunt Joyce then asked that person to "vouch" for what he/she said. As far as I can see, he/she never did.
But then further down on the Q & A page is Aunt Joyce's own comment that seemed to accept the V/M Carmen choice as fact (without citing any official or at least reputable source).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
-- Coomes/Buckland
FD:
Basement Jaxx Vs. Metropole Orkest

per his tweet:
http://twitter.com/N_Buckland/status/225405933633806336/photo/1

ETA:

-- Weaver/Poje
SD:
Although they already announced that they are using "The Sound of Music," is the specificity of their tweet today new?? (Emphasis added.)

Kaitlyn / Andrew ‏@WeaverPoje
These are a few of our favourite things! ‪#privateice‬ ‪#makingprogress‬ ‪#newFD‬ pic.twitter.com/nPg3jHTU
4:56 PM - 17 Jul 12

Last edited: