TV Alert NBC Figureskating at 3pm Eastern time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TV Alert NBC Figureskating at 3pm Eastern time

I could watch Asada just skate around for a warmup.

Caro did wonderfully, and I love what she said in her interview, that she knew she shouldn't settle for second or third but should go full steam ahead for gold. And she did it!

I just loved Suzuki's skate also. How wonderful to see her win a medal. I'm only sorry they didn't have time to show the medal ceremonies.

Back to ice dance, how lovely to see both of the top couples do so beautifully. There really is a huge chasm between those two and the rest of the field. I'm not as fond of V/M's actual program, though I'm happy with their win. But for me this year, it's Die Fledermaus all the way.

We were talking about advertising opportunities for Davis/White, and maybe that's what made me notice how beautiful both ladies are, and how handsome the guys are. (Though I think the prize for ice dance guys goes to Poje. Like a Greek statue!) Virtue is like a flower, with that frosty, velvety complexion, while Davis is like an exotic moth. If sponsors can't come up with ideas for these folk in print ads or televised commercials, shame on them. But maybe I just want to watch ice dancers everywhere I can, as often as I can.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is OT, but you are a linguist it seems. I just saw a preist say "The crux of the matter," and wonder at the etiology of that word. Cruz is cross in spanish (maybe Latin, too?) "Crux." Cruxifiction? Any ideas re this word's etiology?

Crux is the Latin for "cross." You're right that the word is related to cruz. And cross and the French croix, for that matter. So the crux of the matter is the structural heart of the matter, where things intersect, rather than way out at the edges.

Yes, and the word "crucial" is of the same etymology, if that is of interest to skateluvr.

No Shibutanis??
I hope that the Shibutanis will come back like gangbusters next season. IMHO, it's just as well that NBC did not show their uncharacteristically flawed FD.

... My mom loves skating and doesn't do puter at ninety-too small to see.

Adorable that you and your 90-year-old mother are fellow fans! Is it possible to plug your computer into your TV so that she can watch Internet videos on the bigger screen?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It must be posible golden but I have no idea how to plug my internet into TV. I have someone I can ask, but if he doesn't know I'm afraid I'm quite lost. My mom and I are behind on skating- I have caught up this season with a lot, but she was a big fan of Michelle and Sasha, and she notices a lot. But skating is hardly on TV thee last few years. She notices a great deal when it is. She would be happy if Michelle came back I'm sure.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Adorable that you and your 90-year-old mother are fellow fans! Is it possible to plug your computer into your TV so that she can watch Internet videos on the bigger screen?

Yes it is possible, but exactly how you do it (and how easy it is to do) depends on what model computer and what model TV you have.

One of the important thing is to have the right TV-when you next get one, check that there is a USB port and HDMI ports in the back. The Toshiba even has the kind of plug that your old desktop CRT uses. If you have one of everything, there is a good chance that if your computer is at all able to hook to a TV, you can do it.

When you buy your computer, check that it is TV compatible, and if you are buying it in a store, ask how to hook it up, and what cables you need to have.

This article discusses what you need to do.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070911115253AANw4dT

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as I :love: Alissa, I am glad we were spared the heartbreak of her free skate this time. I am disappointed that the pairs got short shrift again. I really wanted to see all the medalists' performances and the two US pairs who finished within the top ten.

As much as I :love: Alissa, I am glad we were spared the heartbreak of her free skate this time. I am disappointed that the pairs got short shrift again. I really wanted to see all the medalists' performances and the two US pairs who finished within the top ten.

I agree about Alissa. I think it was an act of kindness (toward both Alissa and the viewers) on the part of the producers to keep that performance off the air. I was clenching my teeth in anticipation, and it was such a relief to know that it wasn't on the schedule.

Like you, I'm sorry not to have seen the pairs. But the fact that they showed the top four singles performances of ice dancers, men, and ladies was splendid, especially that they showed Joubert. They very rarely show a non-medalist from another country on American TV. And they showed Mao Asada. So they did use their time well and were obviously aiming toward a knowledgeable audience.