TV Alert NBC Figureskating at 3pm Eastern time | Golden Skate

TV Alert NBC Figureskating at 3pm Eastern time

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Happy Easter to all, Happy Palm Sunday to Orthodox, Happy Passover to Jewish brethren, and to our Asian friends Bhuddists, may you all pray/contemplate for peace in the world. Enjoy whatever skating you can catch between ham dinners. Mir!

Right back at you, Skateluvr. And thanks for the alert about skating. I looked yesterday, and I ended up seeing bits of ice hockey and skiing. (The skiing was nice.) And golf, and an ad or two for (ugh) pro wrestling. So I forgot all about it today. Thanks for reminding me!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes, I hope we get the skating as promised. My guess will be ice dance as focus as we took our only medal there! Did you ever think you'd see the days of ice dance saving us from utter ? what word. I somehow don't think they will show but parts of the mens and the ladies, given how embarassing it is, poor kids. I have yet to watch Adam rippon's skate, so that'll be good-though I am going out to eat and don't have any old blank tapes. I have no idea how to record DVD. never worked years ago. DvD is spotty-my electronics are always in trouble! I need a techie geek on call 24/7!

I wonder if many GSers celebrate this holiday. I wonder where most of our current memebers hail from? With Yuna not competing, :( we don't seem to have a lot of Koreans but maybe I am wrong.

This is OT, but you are a linguist it seems. I just saw a preist say "The crux of the matter," and wonder at the etiology of that word. Cruz is cross in spanish (maybe Latin, too?) "Crux." Cruxifiction? Any ideas re this word's etiology?

Blessings and I hope to watch the ballet you found this evening. I am leaning towards I like Prokofiev's music. Who could skate to that, though?

Enjoy the skating-great to see it off of the internet for a change!

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I missed 15 mins. Anyone tell me what I missed. I just tuned in to Weaver and Poje, and I love them. I do not know how they pick among the top 7-8 teams. As I guessed, we're seeing ice dance. I must have missed at least one performance? maybe two? If you are watching, chime in. My mom loves W/P and it seems even the most casual viewer sees how special they are-love 'Je suis Malade.' Did not know Anjelika Krylova is their choreographer. Just touching. Best score for them. Now Pechalat/Bourzat-not my favorite program but...

ETA, so great to see comp. on TV P/B were fab and crowd of course goes crazy. Who is watching? Chime in even if you saw this live in comp threads! What do you think? New SB for P/B well deserved I think.

Last edited:
Yes, you missed Die Fledermaus, unfortunately. Don't worry, though; that you can always catch in one version or another on YouTube.

Crux is the Latin for "cross." You're right that the word is related to cruz. And cross and the French croix, for that matter. So the crux of the matter is the structural heart of the matter, where things intersect, rather than way out at the edges.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ah, thanks...Rats. saw D/W on puter but 13 inches kinda stinks--I have just 32 inch Tv but so much better. I loved D/W and I think it lloks a more difficult program than V/M. But ice dance judging is so hard for regular joe like me!. Die Fleidermaus is my favorite program this year, then W/P Je Suis Malade. V/M were awesome-such a show routine.They look so happy, but, they all deserve gold. No Shibutanis??

Well, we will at least see Ashley, and I never tire of her SP or LP. I can't get Universal Sports with my cable provider, and no Dish is on this bldg. Imagine now I am thrilled to see Tv coverage after so little, sigh.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Hey, everyone out? We're going later as My mom loves skating and doesn't do puter at ninety-too small to see.

I cannot believe they are showing nothing but two clips of the pairs? Not even our teams? V/T were awesome! GRRRR NBC!

Three hours of skating pig-out heaven. Better than chocolate!

I'm sorry they're not showing pairs, but how great to see all four top ice dance teams. Like you, I continue to adore D/W's Die Fledermaus program and saw nothing in V/M's admittedly impressive program to shake Die Fledermaus loose from top spot in my mind. I'm not a judge and have no obligations to the CoP.

Oh, dear, Rippon is so bad they're not showing either program. Here's Abbott, looking good so far, but I never feel confident while watching him, and besides I know it doesn't end well.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, baby Hanyu-so amazing, to my eye, just that catching an edge was it? Weird fall. People are crazy for him. Can't say enough this kid may change it up for Chan. I kind of hope so, given some of the favoritism and unfair wins in GP, when his PCS are always bailing him out. Love Patrick, but tweak the system...get to see Dai again -wish I had a 60 inch TV but hardly watch TV -because no skating, LOL. Jeremy did indeed fight, wow, he seems so winded. It is a great program, too bad JA.

Florent has a back story like Surya-France loves him! Florent was amazing! How tall is he? Only one obvious error, what a showman. He must idolize Dai. Joubert, a 6.0 skater jumper from another era and young flashy, fierce, and frantic (per the rules in CoP it seems). Love that performance. The crowd got great skating from the mens for sure. I'd LOVE to see a WC from those seats. AHHHHH!

Last edited:

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Die fledermaus was just a basic waltz nothing impressive or original about it, V&M have the edge in polish, posture, lines difficulty of lifts and storytelling interpretation.

Oh, oh, oh, Amodio! He's electric. I had such fun watching him. I'm thrilled that they're showing so many of the men. If they show Florent, they definitely have to show Joubert, I think. So we're in for a treat.

And here he is! Go, Brian. Listen to the din in that arena. Deafening.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Are you a skater romanoff? Or huge icedance fan?

Oh, Joubert, again, so happy for him, and love the French response-their skaters delivered. Best Matrix ever. 2004, 2006, 2012. Like a fine wine he keeps improving. Love his strong, virile style. He and Florent could not be more different, but they were both wonderful in Nice. SB, audience booing. But here comes the japanese artist.

So a little snow, not perfect landings, but what a skate. It's great to see him doing programs like this with his age, his knees, just have to give it up for Dai. He is truly a world favorite. Since Stephane left, it is Dai that continues to try to hold an artistic vision in his CoP programs. Camerlengo is such a talent.

Wish theyn had shown Michal's SP. Too bad re quads. Hate that LP music, whole thing anyway, but like him. Here's King Chan!

Last edited:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Oh, baby Hanyu-so amazing, to my eye, just that catching an edge was it? Weird fall.

Yup that's all it takes to go down like that. He tried to turn at the wrong part of the blade and boom hello ice.
Ohh..They are showing Brezina >.<
I actually like Brezina's costume. Wonder if I am the only one :)

Yeah, Brian has such a commanding presence on the ice. Strong, almost majestic. Beautiful posture, and of course it doesn't hurt that he looks like a matinee idol. In fact, both the French guys look like works of art.

And ahhh, Takahashi. Like the commentator, I could watch him skate all day. Is that Tracy Wilson? Interesting what she said about the snow he kicks up on the landings. I guess that's a hindrance to high scores, but it's something he could work on. But the way he uses his arms, his hands, his upper torso, and his spine are second to none. And so musical! Every movement seems to be motivated by the rhythm of the music.

And here's poor Brezhina. This is the kind of skate that makes you grateful for athletes like Joubert, Lysacek, and Plushenko, who don't back down for anything.

No, she's the on-air interviewer. She's not a skating analyst, I believe. It's either Tracy Wilson or Susie Wynne, both of whom are experts on skating.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Oh opps sorry i didn't know that.
omg they couldn't spare some time to show at least two pairs' fs... 1 hour of ladies fs...:disapp:

Last edited:
We have been spared, though; they aren't going to show poor Alissa's long program. That would have been cruel. Yipes, they say that Alissa fell five times.

Ashley's acquitting herself extraordinarily well. She looks so calm and determined. Great to see!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Where are Scott and Sandra? All Canadian on air help? They must be chaeaper than Scott. Here is Ashley-underscored Ashley! Loved her attack, barely saw that double foot. She deserved better marks in her SP. It is tough, as she deserved bronze too, but someone has to lose. John Nicks has been the coach for her. Amazing how she can do that LP almost perfectly clean and makes mistakes in her SP. Finally she is getting respect due her. Next year sh e will be a force. It was Caro, Akiko's year. We may not see them on podium again with the Russians in the mix next year, though Liza is the one you can bank on other than Leonova. I can't help but wonder what Leonova could do with better choreo/packaging. She could be a WC. I'd like to see Leonova have a Mills program.

Ashley is pretty. She can totally be ice princess like Mao and Caro. I am not an Alena fan but she gets better with time.

ETA Thankyou - "built for the jumps" I hate her footwwork sequence, spins slow sub par. Did she deserve second with those two performances? Ugly, slow spots. Why is she on podium and Ashley fourth? Clean Alena but just an ugly LP. Sorry, nice girl, but no wonder the Russians prefer every teenager over her. She used to look like an Irina clone.
I have just hated this LP all season, though her SP was pretty good, but not in Ashley's league.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, I know how this skate goes, but I think "lovely" the word was invented for Asada Mao. Kanao is improved but she reminds me o a Yuna clone without Yuna's beautiful upper body. Her speed and 3x3 ice coverage reminds me of Yuna, even her leg shape and the club foot thing. But she might be a beautiful skater in two years. I don't think she heard a note of her music, and she seemed to just blast around the ice. Lucky she can afford Zueva to give her a program. Just a jumper to me now. Not in the league remotely of Mao or Akiko. Here comes the goddess, Caro!

Last edited: