Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TV Alert NBC Figureskating at 3pm Eastern time

Custom Title
    No, she's the on-air interviewer. She's not a skating analyst, I believe. It's either Tracy Wilson or Susie Wynne, both of whom are experts on skating.

Custom Title
    Oh opps sorry i didn't know that.
    omg they couldn't spare some time to show at least two pairs' fs... 1 hour of ladies fs...
    Last edited by FTnoona; 04-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Custom Title
    We have been spared, though; they aren't going to show poor Alissa's long program. That would have been cruel. Yipes, they say that Alissa fell five times.

Ashley's acquitting herself extraordinarily well. She looks so calm and determined. Great to see!

Where are Scott and Sandra? All Canadian on air help? They must be chaeaper than Scott. Here is Ashley-underscored Ashley! Loved her attack, barely saw that double foot. She deserved better marks in her SP. It is tough, as she deserved bronze too, but someone has to lose. John Nicks has been the coach for her. Amazing how she can do that LP almost perfectly clean and makes mistakes in her SP. Finally she is getting respect due her. Next year sh e will be a force. It was Caro, Akiko's year. We may not see them on podium again with the Russians in the mix next year, though Liza is the one you can bank on other than Leonova. I can't help but wonder what Leonova could do with better choreo/packaging. She could be a WC. I'd like to see Leonova have a Mills program.

Ashley is pretty. She can totally be ice princess like Mao and Caro. I am not an Alena fan but she gets better with time.

ETA Thankyou - "built for the jumps" I hate her footwwork sequence, spins slow sub par. Did she deserve second with those two performances? Ugly, slow spots. Why is she on podium and Ashley fourth? Clean Alena but just an ugly LP. Sorry, nice girl, but no wonder the Russians prefer every teenager over her. She used to look like an Irina clone.
    I have just hated this LP all season, though her SP was pretty good, but not in Ashley's league.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 04-08-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Oh, I know how this skate goes, but I think "lovely" the word was invented for Asada Mao. Kanao is improved but she reminds me o a Yuna clone without Yuna's beautiful upper body. Her speed and 3x3 ice coverage reminds me of Yuna, even her leg shape and the club foot thing. But she might be a beautiful skater in two years. I don't think she heard a note of her music, and she seemed to just blast around the ice. Lucky she can afford Zueva to give her a program. Just a jumper to me now. Not in the league remotely of Mao or Akiko. Here comes the goddess, Caro!
    Last edited by skateluvr; 04-08-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Custom Title
    I could watch Asada just skate around for a warmup.

Caro did wonderfully, and I love what she said in her interview, that she knew she shouldn't settle for second or third but should go full steam ahead for gold. And she did it!

I just loved Suzuki's skate also. How wonderful to see her win a medal. I'm only sorry they didn't have time to show the medal ceremonies.

Back to ice dance, how lovely to see both of the top couples do so beautifully. There really is a huge chasm between those two and the rest of the field. I'm not as fond of V/M's actual program, though I'm happy with their win. But for me this year, it's Die Fledermaus all the way.

We were talking about advertising opportunities for Davis/White, and maybe that's what made me notice how beautiful both ladies are, and how handsome the guys are. (Though I think the prize for ice dance guys goes to Poje. Like a Greek statue!) Virtue is like a flower, with that frosty, velvety complexion, while Davis is like an exotic moth. If sponsors can't come up with ideas for these folk in print ads or televised commercials, shame on them. But maybe I just want to watch ice dancers everywhere I can, as often as I can.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    This is OT, but you are a linguist it seems. I just saw a preist say "The crux of the matter," and wonder at the etiology of that word. Cruz is cross in spanish (maybe Latin, too?) "Crux." Cruxifiction? Any ideas re this word's etiology?
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Crux is the Latin for "cross." You're right that the word is related to cruz. And cross and the French croix, for that matter. So the crux of the matter is the structural heart of the matter, where things intersect, rather than way out at the edges.
    Yes, and the word "crucial" is of the same etymology, if that is of interest to skateluvr.

No Shibutanis??
    I hope that the Shibutanis will come back like gangbusters next season. IMHO, it's just as well that NBC did not show their uncharacteristically flawed FD.

... My mom loves skating and doesn't do puter at ninety-too small to see.
    Adorable that you and your 90-year-old mother are fellow fans! Is it possible to plug your computer into your TV so that she can watch Internet videos on the bigger screen?

It must be posible golden but I have no idea how to plug my internet into TV. I have someone I can ask, but if he doesn't know I'm afraid I'm quite lost. My mom and I are behind on skating- I have caught up this season with a lot, but she was a big fan of Michelle and Sasha, and she notices a lot. But skating is hardly on TV thee last few years. She notices a great deal when it is. She would be happy if Michelle came back I'm sure.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

Adorable that you and your 90-year-old mother are fellow fans! Is it possible to plug your computer into your TV so that she can watch Internet videos on the bigger screen?
    Yes it is possible, but exactly how you do it (and how easy it is to do) depends on what model computer and what model TV you have.

One of the important thing is to have the right TV-when you next get one, check that there is a USB port and HDMI ports in the back. The Toshiba even has the kind of plug that your old desktop CRT uses. If you have one of everything, there is a good chance that if your computer is at all able to hook to a TV, you can do it.

When you buy your computer, check that it is TV compatible, and if you are buying it in a store, ask how to hook it up, and what cables you need to have.

This article discusses what you need to do.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1115253AANw4dT

Thanks Doris for your always helpful links.

As much as I Alissa, I am glad we were spared the heartbreak of her free skate this time. I am disappointed that the pairs got short shrift again. I really wanted to see all the medalists' performances and the two US pairs who finished within the top ten.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    As much as I Alissa, I am glad we were spared the heartbreak of her free skate this time. I am disappointed that the pairs got short shrift again. I really wanted to see all the medalists' performances and the two US pairs who finished within the top ten.
    I agree about Alissa. I think it was an act of kindness (toward both Alissa and the viewers) on the part of the producers to keep that performance off the air. I was clenching my teeth in anticipation, and it was such a relief to know that it wasn't on the schedule.

Like you, I'm sorry not to have seen the pairs. But the fact that they showed the top four singles performances of ice dancers, men, and ladies was splendid, especially that they showed Joubert. They very rarely show a non-medalist from another country on American TV. And they showed Mao Asada. So they did use their time well and were obviously aiming toward a knowledgeable audience.

Rinkside
    i didn't get to watch the whole thing because they didn't show the whole thing where i live

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2