Missing old Easter time movies | Golden Skate

Missing old Easter time movies

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Besides Ten Commandments, which I still like, they don't show the movies we used to see every year. I'd like to see The Robe with Richard Burton, or Spartacus, or anything they used to show at Holy week each year. These movies matter, esp since I couldn't sit through three hour vigil- caught some Mass on TV but missed most. I liked JC Superstar. I 'll watch any Easter movie except Gibson's-oops, I forgot its 3:15- missing skating...

I haven't paid much attention this year because I was out, but I distinctly remember that last year on Turner Classic Movies, they played several Easter-related movies, including, back to back, Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar. I had never seen either of them in their entirety before. Godspell was especially interesting. The man who played Jesus was an almost radiant actor--it wasn't just his aureole of fuzzy reddish hair--with a lovely quality of simplicity. It turned out to be Victor Garber! who's had a wonderul and varied career since then, including a role in Titanic.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Garber is a fantastic actor... Only "Easter" movie worth its salt is The Passion of the Christ, but I prefer The Easter Beagle and my church's Pagaent just for the fact that I'd prefer to not have to go through the graphic details that are portrayed in the film. It's too bad Gibson's rep has now tainted the film.

I haven't seen The Passion yet, I must admit. The graphic details you allude to are what have kept me away. Gibson is a bit too fond of flaying for my taste. I understand that this was part of what happened, but I always preferred the idea of films such the Zeffirelli Jesus of Nazareth, which cover the whole span of His life. The teachings, the way He interacted with and inspired people, and the fact that He lived as an ordinary working stiff are all an important part of the story to me. He didn't just show up and leave in splendor; he hung around for thirty years: eating rough food with grubby laborers, sleeping in the dust, having to step aside when a bunch of Romans came striding down the street because Judaeans were second-class beings. I want all of that in any story of Him. That movie just gets inside of me. I also love the casting of the other characters: James Farentino as a rather bumptious Peter struggling to become greater than he had been in his previously narrow life, Anne Bancroft as an older, world-weary Magdalen. Also, the music is tremendously potent. I think it's by Ennio Morricone, who's always splendid.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have not seen Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth in many, many years. Where could I see that? Being Catholic, we don't have Easter pageants and tho I have been to evangelical pageants in the past, time is always ahead and I am behind.

Well. I rented 'Fireflies in the Garden' and am not getting into it. Went out to eat, came home, there was a fire on the 9th floor (kitchen fire-but I am on 14 and it gets scary). So I will give up on the redbox movie I never heard of.

I will check TCM and guide to see if anything of Holy Week is left. I have lots of writing to do and I am avoiding it as usual.:think:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I haven't seen The Passion yet, I must admit. The graphic details you allude to are what have kept me away. Gibson is a bit too fond of flaying for my taste. I understand that this was part of what happened, but I always preferred the idea of films such the Zeffirelli Jesus of Nazareth, which cover the whole span of His life. The teachings, the way He interacted with and inspired people, and the fact that He lived as an ordinary working stiff are all an important part of the story to me. He didn't just show up and leave in splendor; he hung around for thirty years: eating rough food with grubby laborers, sleeping in the dust, having to step aside when a bunch of Romans came striding down the street because Judaeans were second-class beings. I want all of that in any story of Him. That movie just gets inside of me. I also love the casting of the other characters: James Farentino as a rather bumptious Peter struggling to become greater than he had been in his previously narrow life, Anne Bancroft as an older, world-weary Magdalen. Also, the music is tremendously potent. I think it's by Ennio Morricone, who's always splendid.

The Passion of the Christ shows his humanity very well - but it's definitely done with a Catholic viewpoint, "The Virgin" Mary is definitely a key player (which she was there and what not, but she's pretty much sainted in this film) as is Mary Magdolene. Creative liberties were taken with a few books used from Gibson's church as well... but for the most part yes it is about Jesus' final hours and ends with his rising from the tomb... his humanity is done in flashbacks as he makes his long way to Golgotha...

Christ was a teacher, but he was God in Human Form... and His most important moment was the Cross. That's not to negate his 33 years on Earth, they had a purpose, but it was all leading up to this single moment.

"It's Friday, but Sunday's coming." *chills*

I watched part of it yesterday... it was way less graphic on a smaller screen than what it was in the theater. That or movies have just gotten more grotesque and I've become used to it?

Oh, I think it was all crucial (pun intended). Every moment of it. But in this matter, I'd say that you and I are both right.

Thanks for the description. Maybe I could deal with it on a small screen. (And I have a very small screen. Thirteen inches, I think.) I'll give it a try at some point.

I find Caviezel an impressive actor, a great piece of casting (I've been watching Person of Interest). Not to trivialize his work in this film, but I first found him in a lovely little fantasy called Frequency, in which he could communicate with someone in the past through a ham radio.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of Frequncy, but I think that was his first "big role" that people noticed him for? Could be wrong. I prefer him in roles like Passion... or in The Count of Monte Cristo.

Had a hard time watching him in the golf movie he starred in. Saw it right after it came out on DVD and he swears a lot... totally not what one wants to hear coming from the dude who plays Jesus. lol

Yes, I like his Monte Cristo. It's very lavish. He does wounded very well. I wonder if he's got any capacity for comedy at all. My first favorite Monte Cristo was the old TV movie with Richard Chamberlain at his romantic peak, with great supporting actors such as Tony Curtis as Mondego (I think) and Louis Jourdan also. In this Caviezel one, Guy Pearce is as slimy as all get-out as Mondego. After that and his turn as the Prince of Wales in The King's Speech, I'd shudder if he walked into a room I was in. He's so effective.

I haven't seen the golf movie.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't seen The Passion yet, I must admit. The graphic details you allude to are what have kept me away. Gibson is a bit too fond of flaying for my taste. I understand that this was part of what happened, but I always preferred the idea of films such the Zeffirelli Jesus of Nazareth, which cover the whole span of His life.
I've always loved Jesus of Nazareth like you Olympia, and for many of the reasons that you mentioned. I thought the characters were excellent and played their roles to the hilt. I loved Anne Bancroft screaming "Jesus" and the soldiers hitting her to shut up and she keeps screaming, I think would I be so brave or be like Peter and run away. The walk with the soldiers beating Jesus and finally the crucifixion was enough beating that I could handle. But the most heartfelt moment was when they laid Jesus in his mother's lap and she wept uncontrollably as any mother would for their child.

I have not found the courage to watch the Passion yet.