Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What We Talk About When We Talk About Pairs (Y/T/T)

Aren't Z/Z - Zhang/Zhang?

Custom Title
    Yes, thank you. It's Freudian. My least favourite Chinese team. I like to forget they exist.

Custom Title
    My favorite pairs team is Sui and Han. Two Chinese kids performing as American cowboys? That's hilarious. They should get a gold medal just for that. I love watching those two. They do such awesome tricks. The girl is absolutely fearless and so bendy. I wonder why they didn't medal at Worlds. Probably because the judges have a fetish for angsty, operatic, dramatic, romance programs. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    As for the Americans, I'm just a bit sorry that Evora and Ladwig aren't among the promising up-and-comers. I know they're closer to the end of their career than the beginning, but they have such a lovely flow and unison that I would love to see more of them in the coming years. At least they have that wonderful memory of skating well at the Olympics.
    They have split.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2010-ol...9339--oly.html

They finally finished their career together. I'm not surprised since other American couples are becoming more consistent at jump elements.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    My favorite pairs team is Sui and Han. Two Chinese kids performing as American cowboys? That's hilarious. They should get a gold medal just for that. I love watching those two. They do such awesome tricks. The girl is absolutely fearless and so bendy. I wonder why they didn't medal at Worlds. Probably because the judges have a fetish for angsty, operatic, dramatic, romance programs. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    I guess you missed the part up thread wherein we discussed all of the reasons why, they not only didn't place on the podium, but why they SHOULDN'T be on the podium, big tricks or not. They're very entertaining, but the judges are catching on to their smoke and mirrors choreography.

Custom Title
    I read it after I posted, but I disagree. First off, I don't mind the pumping stroking that Sui, Kanako Murakami, and early Ashley Wagner do. It just doesn't bother me. For people that it does bother, Besides, lots of skaters lack power in their stroking and it's fixable.

Secondly, which I think is more important, Sui and Han are the only pairs I can watch without nodding off or shrugging my shoulders at. Pang and Tong's Turandot? Meh. Shen and Zhao doing yet another classical music rendition? Seen it. Zhang and Zhang are serious and in love. I get it. The epitome of pairs, that Russian G-number1 and G-number2, only did quietly angsty, serious, lovey-dovey programs that all looked the same. I'm sure their stoking skills and etc are better, but what's the point if their programs are boring to watch? Does anyone want to take a second look at any of Patrick Chan's Take Five variations?

I take back my statement that only Sui and Han are entertaining. At last year's worlds, the German pair's Pink Panther was fun.

Custom Title
    I read it after I posted, but I disagree. First off, I don't mind the pumping stroking that Sui, Kanako Murakami, and early Ashley Wagner do. It just doesn't bother me. For people that it does bother, Besides, lots of skaters lack power in their stroking and it's fixable.

Secondly, which I think is more important, Sui and Han are the only pairs I can watch without nodding off or shrugging my shoulders at. Pang and Tong's Turandot? Meh. Shen and Zhao doing yet another classical music rendition? Seen it. Zhang and Zhang are serious and in love. I get it. The epitome of pairs, that Russian G-number1 and G-number2, only did quietly angsty, serious, lovey-dovey programs that all looked the same. I'm sure their stoking skills and etc are better, but what's the point if their programs are boring to watch? Does anyone want to take a second look at any of Patrick Chan's Take Five variations?

I take back my statement that only Sui and Han are entertaining. At last year's worlds, the German pair's Pink Panther was fun.
    Iliushechkina/Maisuradze were really fun too, but unfortunately they are no more.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What does Y/T/T mean in the title of this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I'm not sure but I think it means Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow?
    Yep and thanks DianaSelene. I was getting bored of my "What'll happen in..." titles, and Nathan Englander's recent book of short stories was amazing, so I riffed off of him.

Banned
    Well for starters they made alot of mistakes at Worlds, something the surprise bronze medalists didnt do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Dube & Davison had easier elements, skated slower and "smaller" than the the two teams who finished above them. Bronze was the right placement for them at that event.

Who are Z/Z?
    I would have had them 2nd in the LP over the Zhangs who both made mistakes and were themselves slow and boring in the LP. However the Zhangs deserved the silver over D/D based on their excellent short program where they were rightfully placed 1st, and D/D rightfully 4th behind 3 stronger performances.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Yes, alas, I have just found the thread that details Evora and Ladwig's split. I am sad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3