Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
In fairness I think Zhang caught everyone off guard. No one was expecting her to skate that well and maybe she would have been marked higher in the SP had she carried any sort of momentum into nationals.

Momentum? Are we asking too much for judges to judge what they see on the ice? ( Yes, I guess we are. )
Anyway, Caroline's only chance to make the World team next year is to be the absolute BEST lady on the ice at next year's Nationals. Then, she will get to go to Worlds along with the champion - who had momentum.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In fairness I think Zhang caught everyone off guard. No one was expecting her to skate that well and maybe she would have been marked higher in the SP had she carried any sort of momentum into nationals. Agnes gave away the lead, so that really left Czisny as our #2. Based on any criteria, if you were to pick a team on their performances through nationals, it had to have been Ashley and Alissa. For NEXT season, I hope they remember her last two performances and weigh that if she is shaky at nationals again. Although if she does get it together she is capable of some really great marks.

I agree, actually. Even under my revised world team selection system, Wagner/Czisny likely would have been the team- although again, I probably would have had Czisny do 4CCs before making a final decision on the team. (what happened afterward is still a mystery to the fans) But next year, Czisny is OFF the team unless she is simply phenomenal across the board.

If Zhang was indeed undermarked because she wasn't "expected" to do well...I don't think that is fair, and for ONCE I think I agree with PB (!).

russell30

Final Flight
I agree, actually. Even under my revised world team selection system, Wagner/Czisny likely would have been the team- although again, I probably would have had Czisny do 4CCs before making a final decision on the team. (what happened afterward is still a mystery to the fans) But next year, Czisny is OFF the team unless she is simply phenomenal across the board.

If Zhang was indeed undermarked because she wasn't "expected" to do well...I don't think that is fair, and for ONCE I think I agree with PB (!).

The USFSA do not do "test skates" National placements is paramount, unless a skater gets a bye ie M Kwan for 2006 Olympics.

All skater's have off days, i think it is very hard these days for the USA (or any other country) to get 3 spots, the level of competition these days is so high. Achievable Yes but in reality hard to achieve.

I am not American I can feel your sympathies with Alissa - "I love her too" but she has done the USA PROUD. I would be proud as a USA citizen. She will bounce back I am sure!! - She has the best artistry (along with carolina, Kiira) out there today.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Momentum? Are we asking too much for judges to judge what they see on the ice? ( Yes, I guess we are. )
Anyway, Caroline's only chance to make the World team next year is to be the absolute BEST lady on the ice at next year's Nationals. Then, she will get to go to Worlds along with the champion - who had momentum.

I think it's always been the case that favorites are help up, both at the national and international level. The judges kind of have an idea of what the skaters are earning from international judges and they aren't going to give the skaters 7's and 8's on PCS when they will get 6's from international judges, particularly after Jeremy got left off the team last year. Zhang skated well and I could see the argument for having her in 2nd place, but I do think she would have just squeaked by Alissa because Czisny does everything better than Zhang (except jump).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The Grand Prix will be critical, as it usually is, in establishing a pecking order of the U.S. ladies next season. I think Ashley, Alissa, Caroline and Agnes will all get 2 events. Mirai and Rachael, I'm not so sure.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Grand Prix will be critical, as it usually is, in establishing a pecking order of the U.S. ladies next season. I think Ashley, Alissa, Caroline and Agnes will all get 2 events. Mirai and Rachael, I'm not so sure.

I think Wagner's the only one out of the lot assured of 2 spots? Everyone else MAY or may NOT get 2.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Wagner's the only one out of the lot assured of 2 spots? Everyone else MAY or may NOT get 2.

Also by finishing as a seeded skater, Wagner also has the option of competing in three GP events.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also by finishing as a seeded skater, Wagner also has the option of competing in three GP events.

That said, last year under the smaller contest pool-3 event option system, all of the top six (Czisny, Flatt, Nagasu, Zawadski, Gao and Wagner) from 2011 Nationals got two events, with Joelle Forte (9th) and Caroline Zhang (12th) getting Skate America host picks. Czisny qualified for three events but opted to do just two (Skate America and Trophee Eric Bompard).

However, I feel 2012-2013 GP series won't be as clean cut. I believe all the top six were able to get two events either because of Worlds placement (Czisny and Flatt) and the others were in the top 24 in WR.

I don't think we have that situation this time. In addition we will likely have several junior skaters (last year, oddly enough there really weren't any juniors moving up- Hicks, Lam, Gold and others stayed junior) who will likely move up to senior international competition and will vie for those GP slots.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think Alissa isn't too old to keep competing. Look at Suzuki.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Alissa isn't too old to keep competing. Look at Suzuki.

It's not so much chronological age as it is "skater age". Czisny's been at this level a LONG TIME. She's dealt with several ups and downs emotionally and physically and that takes its toll after a while...

macy

Record Breaker
i think who gets grand prix slots and how many is going to be a bit of a mess this year. there are so many skaters who haven't fully proven themselves yet (caroline, agnes, gracie) or have had a bad season (alissa, rachael, mirai). i really have no idea what to expect.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i think who gets grand prix slots and how many is going to be a bit of a mess this year. there are so many skaters who haven't fully proven themselves yet (caroline, agnes, gracie) or have had a bad season (alissa, rachael, mirai). i really have no idea what to expect.

Ashley will get two GPs for sure.

I think Caroline, Gracie, Alissa and Mirai will get two as well. Caroline and Gracie because of decent showing on the international stage (4CC, JW and WTT) and Alissa and Mirai because they still have high SBs and world's ranking (currently 5th and 8th and the two highest ranked US skaters) despite relatively bad seasons.

For me Christina, Rachael and Agnes are the big question marks. All three are on the bubble or out of the top 24 in SB and are either close or out of the top 24 in WR. If they reset the rankings (i.e remove the 2009-2010 points, a move that will hurt Rachael in particular) before giving out invites, all three will be affected as they will likely be out (or stay out) of the top 24 in WR.

Also it will be interesting to see whether any slots will go to Vanessa Lam, Samantha Cessario or other junior-level skaters who choose to move up.

macy

Record Breaker

I think Caroline, Gracie, Alissa and Mirai will get two as well. Caroline and Gracie because of decent showing on the international stage (4CC, JW and WTT) and Alissa and Mirai because they still have high SBs and world's ranking (currently 5th and 8th and the two highest ranked US skaters) despite relatively bad seasons.

For me Christina, Rachael and Agnes are the big question marks. All three are on the bubble or out of the top 24 in SB and are either close or out of the top 24 in WR. If they reset the rankings (i.e remove the 2009-2010 points, a move that will hurt Rachael in particular) before giving out invites, all three will be affected as they will likely be out (or stay out) of the top 24 in WR.

Also it will be interesting to see whether any slots will go to Vanessa Lam, Samantha Cessario or other junior-level skaters who choose to move up.

I will be extremely surprised if samantha gets a GP. she will most likely be on JGP again i think because she hasn't even competed in nationals the past two years.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

I think Caroline, Gracie, Alissa and Mirai will get two as well.

I know somebody who hopes Caroline does not get 2 assignments. I've time-linked this video of Caroline's National SP to the end of her skate. While Karen Kwan is jumping up and down, look to the left at Mr. Nicks in the background. He looks very grim. ( And a camera is following him. ) :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtu_eBx40LE#t=3m34s

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Honestly, he has his own student to worry about. I doubt he cares about what happens to Zhang!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I know somebody who hopes Caroline does not get 2 assignments. I've time-linked this video of Caroline's National SP to the end of her skate. While Karen Kwan is jumping up and down, look to the left at Mr. Nicks in the background. He looks very grim. ( And a camera is following him. ) :laugh:

You may be right. Of course, he may have looked grim because 1. That's just Mr. Nicks and 2. His skater is up next. He's known to keep a poker face right before his skater takes the ice.

mskater93

Record Breaker

I don't think he very much cared about what was going on with Zhang, just getting his own student ready to take the ice. No matter what happens, you have to bring it to the best of your ability when the time comes and you can only prepare your student to bring it, you can't worry about what another skater brought or might bring.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Rachael or Christina deserve two assignments for next year. Flatt is on her way out and Gao has yet to prove herself. Agnes has the potential but she needs to start laying down clean Long Programs. Mirai is a question mark especially with new coaches as is Allissa.