Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
Even though Rachael was injured at Worlds she still manged to place 11th. As oppsoed to Alissa who placed 22nd.

b-man

Final Flight
Well when Flatt lost her consistency she had nothing left. She never had any medal winning potential whatsoever even at her best and she was no longer the rock who people could rely on to come 5th-8th and help the U.S cause for 3 spots so people were just over her. Czisny still garners some support as she has more talent and does have medal winning potential at her very best, so atleast she is a risk with possible benefits (even though more probable drawbacks).

I am certainly not a fan of Flatt's skating, but she was the only person clean in the FS at Nat's this year, at least among the top seven. Have we heard of Flatt's plans for next year? With Gold and maybe Hicks going up to seniors next year, and maybe no one retiring, the GP assignments will be brutal. We need maybe 18-20 slots to give everyone 2 assignments. Last year we got 14 slots, so many top skaters are likely to have only one assignment.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I for one expected her to continue. I think she wants to be an Olympian. She has her work cut out for her. But she has as much right as anyone to try. Despite all her struggles, nationals would not be the same without her.

I wasn't sure if she was going to continue but I think it's clear now that the Olys are her goal. I respect that and I really wish her well. I have always enjoyed Alyssa's skating, clean or no. I'm hopeful for her for next year :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even though Rachael was injured at Worlds she still manged to place 11th. As oppsoed to Alissa who placed 22nd.

Rachael with a stress fracture landed four triples and two 2As at the Worlds 2011 FS and did not fall once. In the Worlds 2012 FS, Alissa, with no reported injury, fell five times, landing no triples and no 2As.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Good for you Alissa, good for you!!

I watch figure skating because it is a vulnerable and unpredictable sport (removing politics and questionable judging aside). The beauty in the sport is not merely in the win, but the personal journey and the story each skaters brings on the day facing their own sets of odds and history, both the highs and lows.

US skating would certainly have lost a large part of its aesthetic beauty without Alissa these past years. It is strange considering fragility is a usually a natural characteristic of beauty, yet can be quite unforgiving in the face of national pride.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I watch figure skating because it is a vulnerable and unpredictable sport (removing politics and questionable judging aside). The beauty in the sport is not merely in the win, but the personal journey and the story each skaters brings on the day facing their own sets of odds and history, both the highs and lows. US skating would certainly have lost a large part of its aesthetic beauty without Alissa these past years. It is strange considering fragility is a usually a natural characteristic of beauty, yet can be quite unforgiving in the face of national pride.

:thumbsup:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let me rephrase this, just in case Alissa is reading this thread.

WE LOVE YOUR SKATING NO MATTER WHAT! :cool:

Now that just about sums things up. I would add that we love you, the person. BTW, I agree with Jason. No matter if this temporary slump is an injury or purely mental, she needs a rest either way and a new
beginning. Who would have thought she would have come back to win the GP final? See you in Omaha....

I watch figure skating because it is a vulnerable and unpredictable sport (removing politics and questionable judging aside). The beauty in the sport is not merely in the win, but the personal journey and the story each skaters brings on the day facing their own sets of odds and history, both the highs and lows.

US skating would certainly have lost a large part of its aesthetic beauty without Alissa these past years. It is strange considering fragility is a usually a natural characteristic of beauty, yet can be quite unforgiving in the face of national pride.

Amen to all this! So glad that Alissa will continue in the sport!

Re: Rachael, we were so thrilled for her that she skated very well in her Nationals free skate. It was great to see that happen too, and we loved her reaction afterwards.

Amen to all this! So glad that Alissa will continue in the sport!

Re: Rachael, we were so thrilled for her that she skated very well in her Nationals free skate. It was great to see that happen too, and we loved her reaction afterwards.

Absolutely. There's no reason we have to choose one or the other of these ladies to support. We can enjoy both and urge both of them on. If they're good enough, they deserve to win, and if they're not good enough, someone else will win. As simple as that. Meanwhile, we can enjoy their skating.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Absolutely. There's no reason we have to choose one or the other of these ladies to support. We can enjoy both and urge both of them on. If they're good enough, they deserve to win, and if they're not good enough, someone else will win. As simple as that. Meanwhile, we can enjoy their skating.

Agreed! I may not be Rachel's biggest fan (I do enjoy aspects of her skating), but I think both ladies, and Mirai have unfinished business in the sport. I don't want them to walk away until they say they're done.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice fighting words but those are the cliches of an athlete. Do you expect her to say she doesn't believe she can win again? I skate to lose. Life isn't fair. Alissa gets so much support from fans and then skaters like Flatt and Chan get dumped on. Its almost like if you are pretty it is okay to fall and get overmarked or whatever. One could argue Czisny is like Chan in respect to pcs but really she doesn't have the speed or command of the ice. And as much as people pick on Chan he can land a quad too bad he can't land a double axel (lol hee hee hee ha ha ha okay bad joke). Good for her if she wants to skate; she should prepare to win or lose though. And great about Mirai and CAroline and Gracie and...however someone has to win and someone has to be less successful. Alissa might come back to the top or be found at the bottom of the heap. Only time will tell. And yes, she probably needed some time off. I still can't believe she fell five times!!!! and was behind the Canadian lady at world's. She really needs to get it together.

Everyone was wrong to pick on Rachael last year and wrong again to pick on Alissa this year. They tried their best. We are not the ones out there on the ice.

(That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :) )

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Irrelevant really though. Neither a 12th (that is where Flatt finished, not 11th) or a 22nd will help the U.S regain 3 spots. Neither can be relied upon to help the U.S gain 3 spots, but atleast wtih Czisny there is medal winning potential if miracelously everything comes together. For Flatt there is none. That is why of the two Czisny will get more support, atleast there is something (medal potential but potential for disasester) as opposed to nothing (no medal potential and potential for disaester). On top of that Flatt has only regressed further since then in both performance and reputation with the judges. At this point she would be almost certain to come outside the top 12 at Worlds, even with one of her better outings. Atleast Czisny with a very mediocre and subpar, but not disaesterous showing, might still come in the 7th-10th range, and possibly contribute to the U.S getting 3 spots assuming her teammate does alot better.

Frankly I dont think either have much of a future in the amateur side of the sport anyhow, so it is almost moot to compare them. Gold and Wagner are already earmarked for the 2 U.S spots to London and if either falter they will look to one of Zhang, a revived Nagasu, an improved Gao, or Agnes as next options. Czisny will find a very unfriendly U.S panel of judges just like Flatt this year, barring something spectacular on the grand prix circuit before that. I predict Czisny and Flatt both to finish far down the pack at Nationals next year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, but I see NO potential for Czisny to medal at Worlds given the new competitive climate. Nearly all the top ladies are doing at least 3t/3t, while Czisny is lucky to land all her jumps in the SP with no 3/3. A 5-triple FS won't make it, either, not when many of the ladies are landing 6 or 7.

Czisny said she was going to do 3f+3t and 2a+3t this season. But we never saw a real attempt at either, even in her better GP performances. Instead we saw meltdowns. Alissa is just not capable of venturing beyond the basic jumps she feels capable of landing.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Czisny said she was going to do 3f+3t and 2a+3t this season. But we never saw a real attempt at either, even in her better GP performances. Instead we saw meltdowns. Alissa is just not capable of venturing beyond the basic jumps she feels capable of landing.

I would think a 2A/3T would be a viable option, but as someone else said, she couldn't even land a 2A at Worlds.

AlexaD

Rinkside
I really like Alissa's sweet nature and good for her for coming back, but I am unsure if I want to see her at Worlds again unless she really pulls out all the stops next season and is confident in her jumping abilities. I am excited to see what Gracie will bring and I hope Ashley gets another shot at Worlds to get on the podium. I haven't always been a fan of Ashley's, but I really respect the way she gave 100% this season. I also hope to see Caroline deliver again!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I do not see any merit in this post. It is very silly to be angry at a skater for a bad performance. It's not like the skaters screw up on purpose just to get our goats. Likewise, why wish anyone bad luck in the future?

Last year I was highly critical of Phil Hersh (it's OK to wish Phil bad luck :laugh:) for trying to manufacture a story out of nothing. I was even more critical of the USFSA for letting Hersh bully them into a foolish response.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth Rachael did come back at Nationals and skate a great long program, and I hope Alissa does, too.

I'm angry at the judging panels for putting her in. She has no merit being in the top 2 for the kind of skates she did at Nats. As long as she does 2-3 triples in the LP, she will be #2. Hence, I don't want her to land a single triple in the future, just to be sure.
I'm sure she didn't sabotage her SP and LP to get on anyone's nerve.

I remember only a few people who were supportive after World. Mrs. P was one. I'm sure you said something about vile old Phil, but was there any "hope she comes back strong next year" like in this thread?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sorry, but I see NO potential for Czisny to medal at Worlds given the new competitive climate. Nearly all the top ladies are doing at least 3t/3t, while Czisny is lucky to land all her jumps in the SP with no 3/3. A 5-triple FS won't make it, either, not when many of the ladies are landing 6 or 7.

In theory a skater who has won the Grand Prix final and who beat this years World Champion at Skate America does have a hypothetical chance at a World medal. I am not saying it will happen, in fact I am probably Czisny`s career to go down the drain and her to be down in about 6th place at Nationals next year. I was just explaining what others and the USFSA`s line of thinking probably was. Even if you want to argue she doesnt have any medal potential even at her best in any coming years, she definitely had medal potential in 2011 and 2012. Flatt never did, and post 2010 is no longer reliable either.

I'm angry at the judging panels for putting her in. She has no merit being in the top 2 for the kind of skates she did at Nats. As long as she does 2-3 triples in the LP, she will be #2. Hence, I don't want her to land a single triple in the future, just to be sure.
I'm sure she didn't sabotage her SP and LP to get on anyone's nerve.

I remember only a few people who were supportive after World. Mrs. P was one. I'm sure you said something about vile old Phil, but was there any "hope she comes back strong next year" like in this thread?

I don't remember all of us being down on Rachael--there are quite a few of us who have trouble saying that any skater should find her way to the door and scram--but it's good that you have remained so loyal. Think of it: if Rachael even just skims a site like this, she sees your screen name and knows she has a fan. So you've redeemed the site no matter what the vote on Rachael was last year. And she redeemed herself. That long program was a delight to behold.

I remember a lot of the anger being directed at Rachael's old coach, Tom Z, and deservedly so if he encouraged her to skate while injured. I had no sympathy for him, but this year I have great sympathy for Yuka and Jason. I'm worried about the fallout for them after three of their skaters...well, the best you can say about the guys is that they peaked at Nationals.

I'm curious: when did you become a fan of Rachael's, and what sparked your admiration? (If you want to give out such details, that is.) I remember when I became a solid and forever fan of Michelle's, when she was twelve, at her first Seniors. I've seen early-teen footage of Rachael, and she had a very musical quality. That long program of hers to Brahms chamber music was a standout. Was that what pulled you in?

Last edited: