Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

brightphoton

Medalist
Mira Leung withdrew after a bad SP at her last Canadian Nationals ... I don't think anyone thought badly of her though.

conga

On the Ice
Mira Leung withdrew after a bad SP at her last Canadian Nationals ... I don't think anyone thought badly of her though.

Didn't she essentially "quit" altogether right at that point, though? I didn't think she competed at all after that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

She wasn't thought too highly of by then anyway judging by most of the comments on the skating fan forums.

American sports has never been kind to quitters.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I dont think anyone faulted Leung for quitting at that moment, since it was probably a year overdue. She obviously wanted to give herself one shot at a comeback to respecability and by the short program of Canadians (which she barely qualified for) it was already clear that wasnt going to be.

brightphoton

Medalist
It's unfair to call Mira a quitter. In her last few years, she had a lot of struggles: lots of coach problems, crazy skating mama problems, skating at more than 3 rinks a day, pretty much spending every day and every hour skating. If anything, she was completely burned out by everyone's expectations of her. She tried to give the Canadian Nationals one last go, and it didn't work out. That's okay too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, SHOULD Czisny have quit?

As I said before, no difference would have been made in terms of spots...perhaps she might have saved face but I don't think she would have been free from criticism that she should at least have gone for it and tried to move up. Of course, she goes and blows the FS even harder. That was her choice, and she'll have to live with it. Whether it continues to haunt her into next season, well...we'll find out. She may be more of a Fumie Suguri than a Mira Leung, though- she might try to hang on until USFS/other skaters push her out for good. Maybe for Team USA's sake it'll happen sooner rather than later...

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't see Alissa hanging on until she's 29,30 it would just get plain ugly by that time. TO many young skaters coming up for her to try to last that long. I give her until after Sochi then she calls it a career.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I can't see Alissa hanging on until she's 29,30 it would just get plain ugly by that time. TO many young skaters coming up for her to try to last that long. I give her until after Sochi then she calls it a career.

Yeah I agree. It's pretty obvious to me she wants to be on the team in Sochi. It's also pretty obvious to me that she's not going to be, especially if we don't get three spots back (though I never say never , I just have a strong feeling) which actually is kind of tragic in a way.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah I agree. It's pretty obvious to me she wants to be on the team in Sochi. It's also pretty obvious to me that she's not going to be, especially if we don't get three spots back (though I never say never , I just have a strong feeling) which actually is kind of tragic in a way.

Well, she tried in 2006. She was actually a good prospect- made a splash in fall 05, things were looking good for her...then collapsed under the pressure at Nationals.

She also tried in 2010. She was coming off an '09 Nationals win, disappointing world finish (costing us spot #3) but was still in the hunt (she took part in the USOC Olympic shoot). She collapsed under the pressure at Nationals.

With all due respect to her, there is absolutely nothing that makes me think she'll be on the Sochi team. And if she can't handle the pressure at worlds, I don't even want to imagine how she'll do under the Olympic spotlight. :jaw: I give her credit for trying, putting in the effort, but...when it's all said and done, she's just not a competitor. Of course USFS should reconsider sending her to worlds since she's sabotaged our chances 3 out of 4 times.

I can't see Alissa hanging on until she's 29,30 it would just get plain ugly by that time. TO many young skaters coming up for her to try to last that long.

Isn't that what we said after 2006? And yet, here we are with all those "youngsters" (now grown up, of course) and she's still around, getting on world teams. I was ready to dismiss her after 2010- she surprised the following season, she told us she was a new skater...she seemed to have a handle on things. Then she started tinkering with her jump content and things went awry...here we are, 22nd place at worlds. This is arguably an even BIGGER hole to climb out of than two years ago, since this happened in front of the world. I suppose if Kostner could do it.......still though, the other US ladies better step it up if they want that 3rd Olympic spot. Czisny is surely not part of the Dream Team and I doubt she will ever be.

Yeah I agree. It's pretty obvious to me she wants to be on the team in Sochi. It's also pretty obvious to me that she's not going to be,

Yup...perhaps in the way MK was destined never to win the OGM, Czisny is destined never to be on a US Olympic team.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I suppose there's the SLIGHT (read: 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%) chance that it would be a fairy-tale ending like that, but I think (and frankly, hope) that she is done as far as worlds and Olympics are concerned.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I suppose there's the SLIGHT (read: 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%) chance that it would be a fairy-tale ending like that, but I think (and frankly, hope) that she is done as far as worlds and Olympics are concerned.

The same was said for Wylie...

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
She isn't. You have to go with meissner- the ONLY US lady with a world medal since Cohen (and a 4CC championship, which Czisny also lacks). Even Ashley Wagner has arguably matched Czisny (if not surpassed her) in a single season- a 4CC championship, and 4th at worlds (Czisny's highest finish was 5th). Yes, Czisny has GPF, but I'd say currently, 4CC trumps that as it's a major championship. Really, the only thing Czisny has going for her is that additional US championship (one that she happened to back into, perhaps).

Agreed, R.D. But I don't mean just placements. Honestly. I love Kimmie, and it makes me so sad that she is still not around to contend with Mao. I thought KM was the next big thing at the time. I look back at her skates on youtube now, and see otherwise. Regardless, Alissa Czisny is objectively just simply a better skater. Meisner's jumps (which I was not informed enough to recognize at the time) were consistently under-rotated. Kimmie could have been so much more than a blip in figure skating history if the CoP had not been designed as it was, and if she had been trained properly.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
No she isn't; she has no international championship medals [i.e. Junior Worlds, 4CC, World medals]

as noted on FSU:

Kimmie--junior world medalist, world champ, 4cc champ
Ashley--4CC champ and 4th at worlds [the highest since 2007], Junior World Bronze x2
Nagasu--4CC medal, Junior World silver and bronze
Zhang--4CC medal x2, Junior World gold and silver x2
Flatt--Junior World gold
Zawadzki--Junior World silver and bronze
Gold--Junior World silver

Katy Taylor [4CC gold], Bebe Liang [4CC bronze], and Emily Hughes [junior world bronze medal and a 4CC silver medal] were also mention to have more international success than Czisny.

GP medals aren't championship medals by the way. Her best title is GPF gold.
So Meissner is the most decorated followed by Wagner, then everybody else.

I apologize to all for responding before I've read all posts. Sometimes posts strike me so much that I feel compelled to respond immediately.

With respect to this one: For real?! Alissa Czisny won the the Grand Prix Final last year. Part of me has felt (long before AC won this title) that GPF Champion is the most prestigious title of the year. More or less anyone can swoop in and win the World Championship. GP Final Championship requires consistency, ironically, the one thing AC is so often alleged to lack.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well we are just going to have to disagree cause no GPF is not the most prestigious title it's not even a championship, 4CC is ranked above GPF. The ISU even agrees with me. And I don't think you need consistency to get to the GPF, some of it depends on the luck of the draw.

And if Kimmie had bad technique than what do you consider Czisny's??? Her technique is not great at all. If COP wasn't designed as it was she would struggle just as much as Kimmie cause her PCS would not hold her up when she is off on her jumps.

And Czisny totally lack consistency, PERIOD.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter who goes if they can't finish in the top 8. Assuming Ashley can finish in the top 5 at next year's Worlds (not a safe assumption at this point) the 2nd skater is still going to have to skate really well because she will have to place ahead at least a few of the 3 solid Russians, 3 solid Japanese, Carolina, Ashley, Elene, or (maybe) Yuna. Perhaps the USFSA decided to promote Alissa because she has a small chance of a top 8 finish, whereas no one else has a remote chance.

I had all intentions of not posting any more this evening, but PLEASE........

***Can we stop predicting the future a year out?*** [I hear it fall on deaf ears as I type.]

Just stop and think for a minute. In how many past years did the immediate past year's success predict what happened next year???

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Well we are just going to have to disagree cause no GPF is not the most prestigious title it's not even a championship, 4CC is ranked above GPF. The ISU even agrees with me. .

That others agree with you is not in itself an argument.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well just because you feel that GPF is the most prestigious is not in itself an argument as well. We can just disagree but fact is she has never won a 4CC or World medal to date. So I don't see how she is the best lady since Cohen. She's not even consistent, none of the US girls are.