Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Thread: Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I think Alissa isn't too old to keep competing. Look at Suzuki.
    It's not so much chronological age as it is "skater age". Czisny's been at this level a LONG TIME. She's dealt with several ups and downs emotionally and physically and that takes its toll after a while...

i think who gets grand prix slots and how many is going to be a bit of a mess this year. there are so many skaters who haven't fully proven themselves yet (caroline, agnes, gracie) or have had a bad season (alissa, rachael, mirai). i really have no idea what to expect.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    i think who gets grand prix slots and how many is going to be a bit of a mess this year. there are so many skaters who haven't fully proven themselves yet (caroline, agnes, gracie) or have had a bad season (alissa, rachael, mirai). i really have no idea what to expect.
    Ashley will get two GPs for sure.

I think Caroline, Gracie, Alissa and Mirai will get two as well. Caroline and Gracie because of decent showing on the international stage (4CC, JW and WTT) and Alissa and Mirai because they still have high SBs and world's ranking (currently 5th and 8th and the two highest ranked US skaters) despite relatively bad seasons.

For me Christina, Rachael and Agnes are the big question marks. All three are on the bubble or out of the top 24 in SB and are either close or out of the top 24 in WR. If they reset the rankings (i.e remove the 2009-2010 points, a move that will hurt Rachael in particular) before giving out invites, all three will be affected as they will likely be out (or stay out) of the top 24 in WR.

Also it will be interesting to see whether any slots will go to Vanessa Lam, Samantha Cessario or other junior-level skaters who choose to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

I think Caroline, Gracie, Alissa and Mirai will get two as well. Caroline and Gracie because of decent showing on the international stage (4CC, JW and WTT) and Alissa and Mirai because they still have high SBs and world's ranking (currently 5th and 8th and the two highest ranked US skaters) despite relatively bad seasons.

For me Christina, Rachael and Agnes are the big question marks. All three are on the bubble or out of the top 24 in SB and are either close or out of the top 24 in WR. If they reset the rankings (i.e remove the 2009-2010 points, a move that will hurt Rachael in particular) before giving out invites, all three will be affected as they will likely be out (or stay out) of the top 24 in WR.

Also it will be interesting to see whether any slots will go to Vanessa Lam, Samantha Cessario or other junior-level skaters who choose to move up.
    I will be extremely surprised if samantha gets a GP. she will most likely be on JGP again i think because she hasn't even competed in nationals the past two years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

I think Caroline, Gracie, Alissa and Mirai will get two as well.
    I know somebody who hopes Caroline does not get 2 assignments. I've time-linked this video of Caroline's National SP to the end of her skate. While Karen Kwan is jumping up and down, look to the left at Mr. Nicks in the background. He looks very grim. ( And a camera is following him. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtu_eBx40LE#t=3m34s

Down With It
    ^ Honestly, he has his own student to worry about. I doubt he cares about what happens to Zhang!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I know somebody who hopes Caroline does not get 2 assignments. I've time-linked this video of Caroline's National SP to the end of her skate. While Karen Kwan is jumping up and down, look to the left at Mr. Nicks in the background. He looks very grim. ( And a camera is following him. )

You may be right. Of course, he may have looked grim because 1. That's just Mr. Nicks and 2. His skater is up next. He's known to keep a poker face right before his skater takes the ice.

Custom Title
    Yes, I am sure you are right. It just looked so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post

I don't think he very much cared about what was going on with Zhang, just getting his own student ready to take the ice. No matter what happens, you have to bring it to the best of your ability when the time comes and you can only prepare your student to bring it, you can't worry about what another skater brought or might bring.

Custom Title
    I don't think Rachael or Christina deserve two assignments for next year. Flatt is on her way out and Gao has yet to prove herself. Agnes has the potential but she needs to start laying down clean Long Programs. Mirai is a question mark especially with new coaches as is Allissa.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't think Rachael or Christina deserve two assignments for next year. Flatt is on her way out and Gao has yet to prove herself. Agnes has the potential but she needs to start laying down clean Long Programs. Mirai is a question mark especially with new coaches as is Allissa.
    It really doesn't matter which skaters we fans think "deserve" GP assignments. Excerpt for the host picks, most recently GP assignments have been based on most recent Worlds placements (top 12), and top 24 ISU Season Best total scores and/or World Standings rankings.

Czisny and Nagasu are listed among the top 24 SB scores in 2011-12 and are projected to be in the top 24 after the World Standings are updated for the new season, so they are guaranteed at least one GP assignment apiece under the 2011-12 GP selection rules (the 2012-13 GP Announcement with the selection rules has not been published yet by the ISU). Ditto for Zawadzki, who is #25 on the SB list and projected to be in the top 24 WS. It currently looks like neither Flatt nor Gao are going to be in the top 24 of either ISU list and so their 2012-13 GP status is unknown.

Custom Title
    I'm not on the Agnes bandwagon. To me she is Amber Corwin 2.0; she has the jumps but is otherwise sloppy. I think her result at Nationals this year will be the best result of her career.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23