Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Good for her....but she simply can not place higher than 3rd at Nationals next year. Too much at stake, and she can't handle it. But after next year, who cares! If we get 3 Olympic/World spots I would be all for her getting on the team, in 2014! But NOT next year.....

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I became a fan after 2009 W LP. Thought she would be able to hang out with the big girls in the future. She had this wholesome image that was very charming and she really went for everything after the first mistake.
(Didn't watch any US figure skating since 2006 so I didn't even know who these girls were. Needless to say, both girls made quite an impression.)

Bentley

Rinkside
Never in my life time have I seen a member of the US figure skating team finish 22nd. And I am not young by any means as I was there when Peggy Fleming won her gold in 1968.

Bentley said:
Never in my life time have I seen a member of the US figure skating team finish 22nd. And I am not young by any means as I was there when Peggy Fleming won her gold in 1968.

Nicole Bobek did not get out of the qualifying iround n 1994 and finished 25th. This left it up to 13-year-old Michelle Kwan at her first world championships to try to finish in the top ten and get two spots for U.S. ladies for the next year. Could she she do it? :)

The year before, Tonia Kwiatkowski also did not get out of the qualifying round and finished 31st.

Anyway, yes, this was a heartbreaking setback for Alissa. That's why everyone is wishing her good luck for next year. :yes:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Nicole Bobek did not get out of the qualifying iround n 1994 and finished 25th. This left it up to 13-year-old Michelle Kwan at her first world championships to try to finish in the top ten and get two spots for U.S. ladies for the next year. Could she she do it? :)

The year before, Tonia Kwiatkowski also did not get out of the qualifying round and finished 31st.

Anyway, yes, this was a heartbreaking setback for Alissa. That's why everyone is wishing her good luck for next year. :yes:

Bentley is correct; neither Bobek nor Kwia finished 22nd. That said, I don't think Alissa's SP would have gotten her to the LP under the old system, as we saw Chen Lu at least land a 3T when she didn't make the LP in 1997.

And she came in eighth. I remember crying when she skated; it was so thrilling. Interestingly, the skater it benefited the next year was Bobek, who I think ended up winning bronze at 1995 Worlds. Kwan came in fourth in that Worlds in 1995, the last year she was off the podium until I think 2004.

Bentley is correct; neither Bobek nor Kwia finished 22nd.

:) (Note that I did not say Bentley was wrong. ;) )

By the way, another skater who didn't make the cut in 1993 (along with Kwiatkowski) was Maria Butyrskaya, a future world champion.

And she came in eighth. I remember crying when she skated; it was so thrilling. Interestingly, the skater it benefited the next year was Bobek, who I think ended up winning bronze at 1995 Worlds. Kwan came in fourth in that Worlds in 1995, the last year she was off the podium until I think 2004.

2005. 2004 was the year she got a time penalty in the short program, was harassed by an on-ice stalker in the long, and still grabbed the bronze. :)

In 1995 she landed seven clean triples, plus two double Axels (one in combination). She should have been on the podium that year, too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hopefully Czisny can go out on a more positive note, and I wish her luck. Go out like Flatt did at this year's nationals. But...I hope she's never on another US world team again. The very fact that she claims she has no idea what happened (seriously??!?) means that such a disaster could happen again. 4 trips. 3 times she blew it. 25% success rate. No, not when we have several other skaters that can do better than 22nd.

Not sure why USFS even bothered to offer her WTT. Talk about rewarding failure, man...face, meet palm :bang: and if they do put her on another world team (especially the crucial 2013 team that will decide Oly spots), they deserve what's coming...

I will be supporting other skaters at next year's nationals, hoping others will finally be given a shot. At some point you've got to look at the numbers. Time to throw support behind promising skaters and young talent. Even if Czisny bounces back, not sure it will be easy to get on the world team again. IF Wagner, Gold, Nagasu, Zhang skate strong performances...she'll have to be at her best.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ref: WTT, we may never know the real politics of who was offered what but IMHO the WTT is little more than a ice show anyway.
$130,000 for last place and $200,000 for first? Who will even remember the results in a year?
I think the USFSA wants to see how AC does over the summer before giving her GP assignments and if she can make another comeback, fine with me.

She will prove herself at Nats and on the GP circuit. Or not. If not, the young guns in this cruel sport will take her out.....
You know what the difference is between watching gladiators and ice skaters is?
The Roman seats are harder in their arenas but their fans are less cruel....
(I am also pretty sure the Romans were given better arena food.....)

russell30

Final Flight
Czisny nodded affirmatively when asked if her plans include skating competitively next season.

“I could go pro and have a career and still enjoy it,” she said. “But there’s a big part of me that says, ‘I don’t want to go out like that.’ I love competing, even as much as I struggled with it this year.”

Asked if she could ever become national champion again, Czisny said: “I have no doubts about that. It’s, obviously, within my capabilities and that’s definitely my goal again.”

http://www.freep.com/article/201204...ns-to-retire-after-dismal-world-championships

Alissa thats GREAT NEWS, put it behind you and move on, your a great skater Alissa best of luck!! for next season, if anyone can turn it around its you and your team!

:)
2005. 2004 was the year she got a time penalty in the short program, was harassed by an on-ice stalker in the long, and still grabbed the bronze. :)

In 1995 she landed seven clean triples, plus two double Axels (one in combination). She should have been on the podium that year, too.

Whoops...should have looked it up and not depended on memory. Thanks, Math!

And thanks for posting that adorable Peter Pan video with Michelle. I remember enjoying that when it was aired. Star quality even then! (And thanks for the lovely compliment.)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ref: WTT, we may never know the real politics of who was offered what but IMHO the WTT is little more than a ice show anyway.
$130,000 for last place and $200,000 for first? Who will even remember the results in a year?
I think the USFSA wants to see how AC does over the summer before giving her GP assignments and if she can make another comeback, fine with me.

She will prove herself at Nats and on the GP circuit. Or not. If not, the young guns in this cruel sport will take her out.....
You know what the difference is between watching gladiators and ice skaters is?
The Roman seats are harder in their arenas but their fans are less cruel....
(I am also pretty sure the Romans were given better arena food.....)

I for one am pretty positive she will get GP assignments. What she does with them, we will have to see.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I for one am pretty positive she will get GP assignments. What she does with them, we will have to see.

She'll win Canada (I think if USFSA decides to dump her, Skate Canada will "twist her arm" into skating up there hahaha), place 3rd or 4th in another GP, and make the final.

In response to Bentley, besides the two the others mentioned (Kwiatkowski and Bobek), Lipinski very nearly finished that low her first year at WC's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny will probably get at least 1 GP. Whether USFS gives her SA or not remains to be seen. I guess it depends on how many/which GPs Wagner, Gold (if she moves up), Zhang, et al get.

I would rather USFS judge Nationals fairly and justify keeping Czisny off the team despite her placement as opposed to intentionally holding her down. 4 trips, only once in top 10 (25%) is a pretty strong argument against her, particularly if Wagner and Gold are the other contenders.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In response to Bentley, besides the two the others mentioned (Kwiatkowski and Bobek), Lipinski very nearly finished that low her first year at WC's.

Tara was 15th at 1986 Worlds---but it was her first Worlds and she was all of 13 years old! Alissa also finished 15th at her first Worlds, but she was 19.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Czisny will probably get at least 1 GP. Whether USFS gives her SA or not remains to be seen. I guess it depends on how many/which GPs Wagner, Gold (if she moves up), Zhang, et al get.

Alissa is #5 on the ISU World Ranking list and #8 on the Seasons Best list. She is not guaranteed two GP events, but she still may get two invitations, even if it's because a federation is hoping she won't do well....

I would rather USFS judge Nationals fairly and justify keeping Czisny off the team despite her placement as opposed to intentionally holding her down. 4 trips, only once in top 10 (25%) is a pretty strong argument against her, particularly if Wagner and Gold are the other contenders.

The US judges just have to keep her PCS scores out of the astronomical range if she struggles with jumps, so no more propping her up.