Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Michelle also admitted that she loved the pressure and the nervousness she felt before competing. For the most part, she was able to turn the nerves into great performances...except for four nights in her career =(
    What really helped Michelle was Irina. For me, her greatest performances were her 2000 and 2001 LPs at Worlds, when Irina's magnificent jumps forced Michelle to produce her absolute best skating. Michelle rose to the challenge so many times, and sometimes I think having a solid rivalry would help skaters like Mirai and Alissa attack their programs rather than skating so defensively. They are so talented but I always get a sense they are skating "not to lose" rather than to win.

Down With It
    Well, Nagasu IS sitting on the sidelines missing worlds for the 2nd year in a row...she is being passed by more and more skaters, even watched her old junior rival Caroline Zhang rise from the ashes to bypass her. If that doesn't kick her, what will?

As for Czisny, she just does not have the nerves for competition. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear her saying she enjoys it...looks can be deceiving!

Custom Title
    Yeah you're probably right about Mirai and Alyssa. I still just think for these really naturally talented skaters, they know that just skating clean is enough to medal. They don't have to stretch themselves technically or do anything special. I just think back to Lipinski and Hughes who both had their best skates at the Olympics, particularly Lipinski who also had pressure as a co-favorite for gold. A superior rival forced both to go out and do more technically than they might otherwise have. Lipinski's 3L/3L wasn't all that solid; she missed it a few times during the season and fell on it at the Olympics LP run-through practice. Hughes had never done 2 3/3s. Yet both pulled off the big moves, I think, because they knew they needed to; simply skating clean wasn't going to do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Yeah you're probably right about Mirai and Alyssa. I still just think for these really naturally talented skaters, they know that just skating clean is enough to medal. They don't have to stretch themselves technically or do anything special.
    At the World level this is clearly not true, and never has been. Nagasu had the performances of her life at the 2010 Olympics and still came a distant 4th. An imperfect Rochette bested her for the bronze medal by the margin of roughly 3 falls worth of mistakes. Not only that but Ando skating just a bit better, Lepisto without her doubled jump in both the SP and LP, and Flatt without her 2 questionable URs would have all placed above her too. Last year at a regular grand prix she had a good outing and lost to Korpi who had major mistakes.

Czisny skated almost as well as she could at Worlds last year, only one missed jump in both programs. She did not even medal, beaten out by Kostner who had mistakes and lesser content, and also by Leonova. Far behind winner Ando and a 55% Kim who took silver (and nearly gold). This was in argaubly the worst year of World ladies competition in decades too.

So should either of these ladies have a myth that skating clean with what they have now guarantees them a medal at the World level, they are already operating off track with reality. With Wagner, Gold, and possibly Zhang above them in the UFSA's viewpoint going into next season, they may have to add things just to make the U.S World team should they skate clean, unless the others falter.

Banned
    Bobek had such an amazing SP and beginning of her Worlds LP, it's a pity she couldn't hang on. Even though Lu skated great, I think if Bobek had hit all her jumps that even the turn-out of the 3Z-3T wouldn't have cost her the title. Her LP outfit was one of my all time favorites.
    Bobek would have won that year with just one fall. The second fall killed her.

Kwan boosted her career in many ways being 8th at the 94 Worlds. I guarantee if she doesnt make it to the 95 Worlds (which without being top 2 and gaining the U.S 2 spots for 94 she wouldnt have been) she doesnt come close to winning the 96 Worlds, quite possibly not even medalling. It was her experience at the 95 Worlds, skating so unbelievably well and still coming 4th, that gave the push for the Kwan transformation next year. She also wouldnt have ever entered the 95-96 season with enough reputation if she didnt even compete at the 95 Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    Actually, KWAN was the skater who benefited the next year, not Bobek. Bobek won 1995 nationals, and Kwan was second. Had Kwan not finished in the top ten at 1994 worlds, she would not have made the 1995 world team; Bobek as national champion would have been the sole entrant.
    My mistake. That was some two-person team in 1995, though, wasn't it? I agree with drivingmissdaisy that Bobek's costume for the LP was one of the all-time greats. And her program was wonderful, too. I'm glad she has that world bronze to look back on. I was already a fan of Kwan's (and my admiration of her was cemented by her gutsy skating at 1994 Worlds), and I remember my disappointment at her lack of a medal that year. But, as it turned out, she ended up with enough medals to take the sting away.

It's true that having strong rivals brought out the best in Kwan. But she also had extraordinary drive and coolness under pressure. You don't find her particular combination of skills under every tree. I'm still waiting for another one on the American team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    At the World level this is clearly not true, and never has been. Nagasu had the performances of her life at the 2010 Olympics and still came a distant 4th. An imperfect Rochette bested her for the bronze medal by the margin of roughly 3 falls worth of mistakes. Not only that but Ando skating just a bit better, Lepisto without her doubled jump in both the SP and LP, and Flatt without her 2 questionable URs would have all placed above her too. Last year at a regular grand prix she had a good outing and lost to Korpi who had major mistakes.
    You are right, and in regards to Mirai and Alissa I was speaking to their competition at the national level. Of course Mirai would need a 3/3 to compete with Carolina, YuNa, Miki, etc but at the national level 2 clean programs with no 3/3s would have won her the gold. Same for Alissa. Mirai by all accounts had great practices at Nationals so her technical content was not outside her comfort zone by any means.

Custom Title
    You are right, and in regards to Mirai and Alissa I was speaking to their competition at the national level. Of course Mirai would need a 3/3 to compete with Carolina, YuNa, Miki, etc but at the national level 2 clean programs with no 3/3s would have won her the gold. Same for Alissa. Mirai by all accounts had great practices at Nationals so her technical content was not outside her comfort zone by any means.
    This is what's most frustrating for fans of these two ladies. Though Alissa doesn't have a 3/3, she apparently is a far better jumper in practice than she ever is in competition. And several people have reported that even this year, Mirai's practices have been solid. Then the actual competition starts, and it so frequently goes out the window. Do they need to be hypnotized or something, so they can show the world their best?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is what's most frustrating for fans of these two ladies. Though Alissa doesn't have a 3/3, she apparently is a far better jumper in practice than she ever is in competition. And several people have reported that even this year, Mirai's practices have been solid. Then the actual competition starts, and it so frequently goes out the window. Do they need to be hypnotized or something, so they can show the world their best?
    They should spend a week with Michelle. Just the three of them. A lot of people said Michelle was better in competition than she was in practice.

A lot of skaters are like Mirai and Alissa, who are far better in practice than they are when the crowds come. Angela Nikodinov used to win all the practices. So did Maria Butyrskaya...

Down With It
    I've heard reports that Czisny is inconsistent in practice, too...

I don't know about Nagasu though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I've heard reports that Czisny is inconsistent in practice, too...
    That was definitely the case at Worlds.. Though very noticable was: she landed jumps with *some* consistency in practice but the moment her music was switched on it was as if nothing was working anymore, at least for the LP.

Well, I wonder what Alissa is reading on the boards? Two of her comments surprise and bother me a bit. Firsst, "I love competing." Huh? It looks like torture. I think she just can't bear to leave with a 22nd place finish, and even the lingerie dress couldn't help her. I rewatched Nationals. She has something in her skating that Zhang does not. Beautiful stroking, flow, basic skills which get her over, but she is a tentative jumper whose nerves are not going to get better next year. Please Alissa, have mercy on your fans who supported you all the way. It was torture to watch you compete your last two competitons. Please do some gorgeous programs for shows and galas. Go all out and get yourself invited to every show. People will forget this year. Join SOI if not bankrupt. Look at the show programs of Shizuka Arakawa, and emulate her. Get the choreographer who gives you an upbeat number with faster movement. Dazzle us with spins and a great footwork sequence. Even Chan dropped the jumps and did "Elegy" at the WC Gala skate to show off his skating skills which is what you have. This is what I'd like to see. Sasha Cohen barely jumps but is always in demand. Use your beauty and your head. You might finish far from the podium at Nationals next year, and you'll have to live with your GP performances. I honestly think you will lose support and the majority of posters are kind but would rather see you call it a day and dazzle us in the shows. Wear what you want, skate how you want, use the music you always thought was too "unprincessy." No one asked for my advice or our advice but we are all giving our 2, 4 and 6 cents. I think it is past time to move on, whether USFS still "adores" you. There is no glory in being held up.

There are younger skaters who need to get a chance and as our senior skater, it is time. The other statement that most of the emails were supportive may be true but if you read here or at FSU a lot of people really deep down feel you can't compete, you are embarassing yourself and you did, sadly lose our chance for the third spot. Cruelty sometimes seems like truth. I offeerd much love, appreciation and consolation for the total package of beauty called Alissa Czisny and your courage in getting up.

Miracles do happen, but you are not a fierce 'bring it on' girl. It is part of why you are loved. Sweet, soft, demure, shy. So if you are reading remember people like to be PC on these boards and "seem kind." Some are brutally honest. I hope if you read this you consider everyone- your long time fans, your federation, the other younger skaters who don't get the "special" points you enjoy for various reasons. Call me mean, anyone, but I think we can all be honest and polite.

Custom Title
    Alissa will be a successful show skater because her signature move, the spins, are truly in a league of their own. I could watch her spin all day long, and both casual fans and more knowledgable ones can appreciate the speed, difficulty, and variety she shows. On top of that, she moves across the ice so elegantly and she should have no problem doing the doubles up to the lutz in programs.

if you read here or at FSU a lot of people really deep down feel you can't compete,...
    Well, Alissa might not be overly curious about what a lot of people here feel deep down. (FSU, well yeah, I can see that...)

One day at a time. See what happens at Skate Canada or TEB or Cup of Russia. Jason called me for my advice the other day, and I told him to get peppier music and put in more in-betweens so that the jumps just come up naturally instead of each one being a dreaded ordeal. He thought that was a pretty good idea, and why didn't he think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    One day at a time. See what happens at Skate Canada or TEB or Cup of Russia. Jason called me for my advice the other day, and I told him to get peppier music and put in more in-betweens so that the jumps just come up naturally instead of each one being a dreaded ordeal. He thought that was a pretty good idea, and why didn't he think of that?
    wow that's cool that you know him and he can just call you up for your advice! i agree though she needs something not so slow and sad...if it's still pretty music it needs to be something along the lines of dr. zhivago or her 07 lp (sabrina i think?)

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast