Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny plans to compete next season

Trewyn

Medalist
The whole 4CC thing rubbed me the wrong way, too- she said last year that she didn't do well because of the short prep time between Nationals and 4CC- as a result, USFS passes this year to give her more time to train for worlds and she thinks she deserved it?? She's got a bunch of people telling her she deserved it, anyway.
The thing about regretting to do 4CC; last year wasn't the first season she'd said that. There have been instances before of her going to 4CC and then regretting it. For this year, it was obviously Jason and Alissa's plan to do the competition and it must have been frustrating not to get the option; but she got the World Team invite; isn't that the one that really matters? But I think that's probably been discussed enough on the boards :p

OT; I hope she'll have another great skate at least, maybe win another GP. I definitely hope we'll see some new, happier LP music from her. She has a beautiful smile it'd be great to see it more during a freeskate :)

If I were Alissa I would come back next year just to annoy all the people who are telling me to retire. :cool:

louisa05

Final Flight
Of course it might not be for you Toni, and let us not talk or compare suffering. .

My aunt was killed in head on car crash in January. A 17 year old girl was driving the other car and also died. Those families suffered.

My mother has been losing her vision steadily for 30 years. I found out last week that mine is going to be the same.

A friend of my husband's family is dying of cancer. Stage 4. A friend of mine from college had breast cancer surgery on Thursday. It is in her lymph nodes.

PERSPECTIVE. There are worse things in life than ANYONE not competing well at an athletic event whether you like that athlete or not.

macy

Record Breaker
I personally think it's easy to WANT to be a competitor and WANT to succeed than it is to thriving competing. I've said it before-I show horses. I LOVE riding and I really, really want to do well. But sometimes no matter how focus I am in practices, no matter how well things are going at home and at the smaller shows, I just cannot shake the expectations I place on myself and fail to accomplish my goals. I don't give up, because I really do like the competition excitement and the times it does come together, it is so thrilling. But I a no Michelle, and I have failed more often than succeed. But yet I keep trying.

i totally know what you're saying, i used to competitively skate and as i got older, i had the same problem alissa always has had--nerves. i didn't know what to do about them and i couldn't control them, but even through the painful performances i kept trying. yeah it sucked when i didn't skate how i practiced, because when you put it in front of a crowd for me it was torture. but i just kept at it because that's what skaters do and that's who they are. we can tell alissa to retire or do this or do that all we want, but it is she who will decide when it's time for her to retire.

and olympia, maybe the upcoming juniors will take some of the pressure off. next year gracie is going to be all the rave and courtney may be a contender too. along with ashley, agnes, and caroline probably and alissa won't have the attention and all the pressure she has had put on her the last 2 years, especially after her showing at worlds. it might be a good thing and if it is like that i hope she embraces it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
i totally know what you're saying, i used to competitively skate and as i got older, i had the same problem alissa always has had--nerves. i didn't know what to do about them and i couldn't control them, but even through the painful performances i kept trying. yeah it sucked when i didn't skate how i practiced, because when you put it in front of a crowd for me it was torture. but i just kept at it because that's what skaters do and that's who they are. we can tell alissa to retire or do this or do that all we want, but it is she who will decide when it's time for her to retire.

What is strange about Alissa is that she is capable of overcoming the pressure; several times we have seen her skate well, if not perfect, and win an event. I've really never seen someone who, when she is 100%, is capable of such a wide range of results (1st to 22nd). I wouldn't retire if I were her, simply because I wouldn't want that Worlds result to be my last.

Louisa, I'm so sorry to hear of all the adversity you have been facing recently.

Your remarks are a reminder that skating is for us a refuge from the difficulties of life (and certainly this year it has served as such for me), and that even for the skaters, a bad season isn't the same as a bad turn of events, a family loss, an illness, and so forth. Twenty-five is "elderly" for a skater, but it's far from old in the general scheme of things, and even if Alissa walks away right now, she can have great success in many other fields of endeavor, or even in as a coach. I am reminded of how Debi Thomas's career turned out after her "failure" at the Olympics; she's Dr. Thomas now. And even Deanna Stellato, who had a career-ending injury so early that most fans never got to see her, has become a successful esthetician and enjoys her life. As you say, Louisa, perspective.

(And as for your sight, keep in mind that just like skating skills, medical science advances year by year. There's every chance it can catch up to you by the time you need it the most. Just look at the revolution in cataract surgery. They used to take out the lens and give people those thick glasses. Now they replace the lens right at the same time. Ophthalmologists understand more about the eye every day.)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Not everyone is cut out to compete, and I understand that. But sometimes I wish certain folks up at USFS understood as well...

Like I said on FSU- she has developed an unfavorable Worlds record, being 15th, 11th, 5th and 22nd. Only ONE top 10 finish out of FOUR trips. A skater of her caliber should be doing much better than that, frankly. One look at the numbers and you really don't want to send her to Worlds again, particularly on the team that will decide spots for Sochi...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
PERSPECTIVE. There are worse things in life than ANYONE not competing well at an athletic event whether you like that athlete or not.

I'm sorry to hear of all these things that have happened for you recently. I know that definitely impacts your life and really make you prioritize what's really important.

I think why we get so worked up here is because sports is a fantasy world for us. Some of us aspired to dance (in my case) or skate and never really had the talent or opportunities that some of these athletes do. So, while we do understand figure skating is not the most important thing in the world, I think it is something that is important to us and so it does look as if we lose that perspective sometimes. I'm hard on those that don't make the best of their gifts because so few of us have world-class talent and know what it's like to want something and no matter how hard we work we can't get there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm hard on those that don't make the best of their gifts because so few of us have world-class talent and know what it's like to want something and no matter how hard we work we can't get there.

The flip side of this statement is that the "gifts" you speak of often wind up with people who don't have a passion for said activity. I've been there. And I realize that it is unfair, and sometimes frustrating for the audience. But just like you cannot give talent to people, you cannot give passion or interest to talented people. It must come from within. Now, in the rare case you get both mixed in- well, that's when you become one of the greats. :yes:

The flip side of this statement is that the "gifts" you speak of often wind up with people who don't have a passion for said activity. I've been there. And I realize that it is unfair, and sometimes frustrating for the audience. But just like you cannot give talent to people, you cannot give passion or interest to talented people. It must come from within. Now, in the rare case you get both mixed in- well, that's when you become one of the greats. :yes:

An excellent characterization of the rare diamonds who are champion skaters.

Victura

On the Ice

Perhaps people who are naturally talented also have a tendency to take that talent for granted, which may lead to work ethic problems, which may or may not be in addition to a lack of passion. Couple all of that with how one reacts under high pressure, and it really is an amazing set of requirements and circumstances that need to occur in order to make a champion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
True. Being unusually talented often means things come easier to you and therefore, less work is required on your part to get far. Also, there's less of a tendency to "learn by the book" and more of one to do things "your way", that is, the way it comes naturally to you (even if it's not the proper "technique"). Again, I've sort of been there, so I know what it feels like.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Well, I wonder what Alissa is reading on the boards? Two of her comments surprise and bother me a bit. Firsst, "I love competing." Huh? It looks like torture. I think she just can't bear to leave with a 22nd place finish, and even the lingerie dress couldn't help her. I rewatched Nationals. She has something in her skating that Zhang does not. Beautiful stroking, flow, basic skills which get her over, but she is a tentative jumper whose nerves are not going to get better next year. Please Alissa, have mercy on your fans who supported you all the way. It was torture to watch you compete your last two competitons. Please do some gorgeous programs for shows and galas. Go all out and get yourself invited to every show. People will forget this year. Join SOI if not bankrupt. Look at the show programs of Shizuka Arakawa, and emulate her. Get the choreographer who gives you an upbeat number with faster movement. Dazzle us with spins and a great footwork sequence. Even Chan dropped the jumps and did "Elegy" at the WC Gala skate to show off his skating skills which is what you have. This is what I'd like to see. Sasha Cohen barely jumps but is always in demand. Use your beauty and your head. You might finish far from the podium at Nationals next year, and you'll have to live with your GP performances. I honestly think you will lose support and the majority of posters are kind but would rather see you call it a day and dazzle us in the shows. Wear what you want, skate how you want, use the music you always thought was too "unprincessy." No one asked for my advice or our advice but we are all giving our 2, 4 and 6 cents. I think it is past time to move on, whether USFS still "adores" you. There is no glory in being held up.

There are younger skaters who need to get a chance and as our senior skater, it is time. The other statement that most of the emails were supportive may be true but if you read here or at FSU a lot of people really deep down feel you can't compete, you are embarassing yourself and you did, sadly lose our chance for the third spot. Cruelty sometimes seems like truth. I offeerd much love, appreciation and consolation for the total package of beauty called Alissa Czisny and your courage in getting up.

Miracles do happen, but you are not a fierce 'bring it on' girl. It is part of why you are loved. Sweet, soft, demure, shy. So if you are reading remember people like to be PC on these boards and "seem kind." Some are brutally honest. I hope if you read this you consider everyone- your long time fans, your federation, the other younger skaters who don't get the "special" points you enjoy for various reasons. Call me mean, anyone, but I think we can all be honest and polite.:think:

I normally read all the current posts before I add my own two cents, but I can't resist an immediate post this time. I strongly disagree with skateluvr.

For one, I think whether AC continues her amateur career next year is UP TO HER. She need to decide for herself, not based on what a bunch of armchair internet posters think.

Second, AC is the best figure skater America has had since Sasha Cohen. This discussion board is full of fair weather friends who anoint a new queen based on one short program (think: the talk about Zawadzki immediately after, even DURING, her SP at nationals; folks ready to send her to Worlds after one, admittedly awesome, jumping pass).

I wish I knew (I wish we all knew) what the issue at Worlds and the Challenge Cup was. I think it was more than nerves, and more than AC's alleged fear of competition. She's dealt with those issue before; no reason those would have caused such an issue. Seems like there must have been more to it.

Whatever it is, I remain her loyal fan. I can't wait to see her next year. Her triple lutz/triple toe (!!) was really close this year (look at the Skate America LP again) and I think she can get it next year.

And I am eager to see these boards next year when Ashley Wagner and poor Gracie Gold (with the insane expectations already upon her) "disappoint" us, one of the two of them almost inevitably.

Last edited:

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
She is reading internet sites, she said so. So, you think MM, she should just keep on? Aren't you being PC nice and not honest? It is time for her to retire. How much more should her fans and fans of USFS suffer? Painful painful painful to watch her demise.

It's really none your business, skateluvr. Just fast-forward through AC's performances if she bothers you so much. Or relish that (as you think) she will fail. But it is not your job, or your right, to tell figure skaters whether or not they should retire. Jeez.

I thought for a moment you liked AC when I saw the "AC consolation thread," but I did notice the odd way you sexually objectified her in that post as well. I think it is a mistake if you honestly considered yourself her fan.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think you can be a fan and express profound disappointment. It may very well be true she just isn't tough enough for elite competition and the pressure that comes with being a favorite. Her Worlds programs were among the all time worst for someone with that amount of talent. It's perfectly acceptable to question whether she should have gone (I think she should have, if only because no one else was more qualified as our second skater) or whether she should continue (I think she should if she wants to).