Hip Hop a choice for Junior Short Dance next season | Golden Skate

Hip Hop a choice for Junior Short Dance next season

enlight78

Medalist
It appears Hip Hop will be a choice of Rhythm in the Short Dance for juniors next year. Should be interesting! Of course it would have been exciting to see the senoirs try it out.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Profanity in the hiphop section is forbidden. I'll be interested to see what the juniors choose. Probably just do all blues :laugh:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Serious Business said:
REQUIREMENTS FOR SHORT DANCE SEASON 2012/13

Rhythm
Junior: Blues or Blues plus one of the following Rhythms: Swing, Hip Hop.

So alas, it's not a requirement to do hip hop, which would be exciting. But I'm sure lots of teams will still opt to put some hip hop into their programs. That rhythm and style has really pervaded popular music for the last two decades. And the dance style (along with pop jazz) is really the dominant dance style in the world for just as long. It's what most competitors grow up with. I'm looking forward to it!

In 2010, Belbin/Agosto had wanted to use hip hop as their folk dance. They ended up doing the Moldovan dance...

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I don't think hip hop will work. I'm still traumatized by Tara Lipinski's Hip Hop Special. Hip hop and gliding smoothly is an oxymoron.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Hip hop and gliding smoothly is an oxymoron.

It's the same with Irish step dancing and Flamenco, but how many times have we been subjected to Riverdance, Lord of the Dance, Carmen, Malaguena, Mala-Carmen, etc?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh dear God... all I can think of is that horried exhibition that Ben and Tanith tried in 2008 to Hip Hop... dear God NO!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If someone will do a good hip-hop, great, but I fear most will be more like what Tanith and Ben tried. I give them credit for attempting it, but it didn't really work for me... maybe if they attempt lyrical hip hop and not the more popping and locking and that sort... but who knows.

Antilles

Medalist
Didn't Tanith and Ben skate to Justin Timberlake and called that hip hop? I like Timberlake, but he ain't hip hop.

Trying to find a hip hop piece without profanity ought to be interesting. It might be good for skaters who can actually dance, but I fear a lot of the programs might be cringe-worthy.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there's different styles of hip hop dance... and it is commonly used with Timberlake's music... I think they skated to Sexy Back?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Most hip-hop songs have radio friendly edits, so I don't think that'll be too challenging. Timberlake considers himself hip hop.

At the very least, it should be better than the Yankee Polka.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ah, but Toni & I both like the YP!

And it will be awesome with some decent polka music rather than the ISU CD.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Are we going to see an exciting dance like this one?:rock::rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCuZottNEc

This is one kind of piece of music only Daisuke can make it alive, or the one program only he skate to, many say.
And I kind of agree; no one but Dai can skate like this.
What surprised me a lot and appreciated back then, was it was actually a competitive program. I still appreciate for Nikolai's idea and Dai's efforts to create such an exciting program. But to tell the truth, this is not my cup of tea as a skating program...I have other favorite programs done by Nikolai for him.

I hope junior ice dancers can dance well enough, while skating on the ice; I mean without stopping at one point on the ice and start dancing.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Most hip-hop songs have radio friendly edits, so I don't think that'll be too challenging. Timberlake considers himself hip hop.

At the very least, it should be better than the Yankee Polka.

Even with radio-friendly edits, there are often sexually explicit underlying themes to this genre of music, which I think are inappropriate for junior skaters. I do admit, it could be entertaining, but it seems like a thinly-veiled attempt at making ice dancing more relevant to casual fans because, as someone else said, hip-hop movement wouldn't translate well to ice.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Thank you for that link, deedee1! It's a great reminder that you absolutely can do hip hop on ice. No less a skating artistic master than Daisuke Takahashi demonstrates, in back to back footwork sequences, how hip hop can translate directly to the ice. And yes, he is skating to hip hop. A lot of posters don't seem to realize how diverse and pervasive hip hop is. Hip hop, even in its earlier, less influential days, was never limited to just sex and the rawer aspects of life. Though of course that was a large part of it, as with everything from tango to bluegrass to the blues, really any music that arose from the masses. From the 90s onward, the hip hop rhythm, which is what's germane when it comes to ice dance music selection, began to pervade almost every form of music. You'll find the hip hop beat in everything from a Bruce Springsteen song (Streets of Philadelphia) to Bollywood numbers to remixes of classical music, such as the one Daisuke used. Hip hop melded with other genres and birthed new ones such as trip hop and reggaeton.

Here's another competitive program that uses a hip hop song perhaps even more effectively than Daisuke did: Stephanie Rosenthal's Rockit SP. She actually incorporated more hip hop moves in her number. Everybody loved that number, even Dick Button. Adrian Schultheiss's very memorable Olympic season FS used a number of hip-hop/hip-hop derived songs, although, alas, I could only find non-Olympics performances of it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzDWsec4N2U He uses Massive Attack's Teardrop and Cypress Hill's Insane in the Membrane, along with some hip-hop-ish moves. Hip hop already is a part of competitive figure skating, and provided the beats for some of the most memorable programs the sport has seen.

I always associated hip hop with rap, so I didn't like it much. Then the TV show So You Think You Can Dance started featuring hip hop among its other dance styles. What a surprise to see what a good dancer, either studio-trained or street-trained, could do with hip hop. I have a completely different feeling about it now. I can see that it has so much potential, both on the floor and in the ice rink.