Hip Hop a choice for Junior Short Dance next season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hip Hop a choice for Junior Short Dance next season

The ISU has always lusted after SYTYCD and DWTS type popularity for the SD.

Speaking of Dancing with the Stars, an interesting "proof" that hip-hop doesn't lend itself to couples dancing is in this beautiful exhibition dance done on the show, in which the male dancers generally do hip-hop, while the female dancers do more modern dance style. When they dance together, the mix is intriguing, to say the least. This dance is to my mind a glorious metaphor for "opposites attract." (The fact that it's done to one of my favorite songs, "Stand by Me," is a plus.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D8BuNagnWw

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The ISU has always lusted after SYTYCD and DWTS type popularity for the SD.

Very much so. It's just plain lazy/silly to use SYTYCD competition clips to explain a newly added dance style. Imagine if tango was being added now, and instead of focusing on people who've been doing it for years, using videos where they patiently explain the basic nitty gritties of the style, the ISU memo includes only videos of Cloris Leachman doing the tango on a TV show! The ISU needs to remember they're in charge of an Olympic sport, where hard work, expertise and fundamentals should be emphasized. Perhaps they think that because hip hop dancing is such a visible part of popular culture, it's something superficial that anybody can affect without much study. But of course there's a lot more to it than that. And really, it's the many basic parts of hip hop that need to be studied and integrated into ice dancing if something truly new and exciting is to be created in the discipline.