Why Do People Insist on Arguing?! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why Do People Insist on Arguing?!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
PETA doesn't want people to ride, keep, pet or even look at horses.

same for sled dogs. they also will go after sporting goods stores here in Alaska. My dad had his life threatened in multiple letters when he was the buying manager for a (then) popular store here in AK... he still has the letters though I think the restraining orders are expired by now. He hasn't worked in that industry since I was in high school.

I am practically a vegetarian, but even I don't side with the idea of one group getting to decide what everyone else does. I am glad people have taken action against animal testing and some factory farming methods, but there's a difference between torturing animals in a lab and working with animals in traditional or longstanding ways, or (for crying out loud) selling sporting goods. Apparently this bunch is even trying to get rid of the word "pet" because it implies an oppressive relationship. In my line of work, which often entails writing for very young kids, I can just see us throwing out the easy word "pet" and replacing it with "companion animal"...honestly! (A friend of mine once joked that soon we'll be calling them "animal Americans.") That kind of puritanical extremism is just too close to thought police for me, especially if people try to accomplish it with intimidation.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when one of the head honchos is Alec Baldwin, and one of you main spokespeople is Pam Anderson it's no wonder those people are off in their thinking...

dad's job was directly related to hunting and fishing... some of the letters he got were pretty graphic.

I'm sorry to hear that, Toni. There's no scenario that would make such behavior acceptable. If we could just learn to disagree with people without demonizing them....too much to expect? Sigh, I hope not.

Thinking in terms of sheer common sense, it seems a bit unrealistic to think that anyone is going to make Alaskans suddenly become backgammon players instead of outdoorsmen, anyway. And then to be angry when Alaskans don't see the light and take up backgammon and get their protein from spirulina, well, that's kind of farfetched. It's like going down to Brazil and yelling at the beachgoers in Rio de Janeiro because they dress immodestly.

I am not fond of Alec Baldwin, but I have to say that he does love classical music and serves as an announcer for one concert program on a classical radio station out here in the Northeast, so scruples dictate that I put in a good word for him. Human nature is so complicated. Charlton Heston headed up the NRA and also took part in the March on Washington in 1963. People are full of all sorts of different convictions and principles.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Alec Baldwin is good at what he does, but he knows what PETA truly stands for and added to his other reprehensible things over the year (his treatment of his daughter and ex wife are good examples of his character) that it's very hard for me to like him as a person. I do enjoy some of his films, though (he's fantastic in Nuremberg and in Ghost of Mississippi).There's politics and then there... well...

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
(A friend of mine once joked that soon we'll be calling them "animal Americans.") That kind of puritanical extremism is just too close to thought police for me, especially if people try to accomplish it with intimidation.

Well, I'm not totally comfortable with that dog sled stuff, but I do have meat a couple of times a week. In fact, this evening I will have shrimp. Are they Crustacean Americans? :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, I'm not totally comfortable with that dog sled stuff, but I do have meat a couple of times a week. In fact, this evening I will have shrimp. Are they Crustacean Americans? :laugh:

unfortunately with the host of misinformation out there about sled dogs, it's not surprising people have issues with it.

>giggle<

If they were caught beyond the continental shelf, they are Bicultural Crustaceans.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My friend lives in Redmond, Washington, and people who live outside of the state insist they are experts on that area's weather.

I'm from Indiana and not everybody grows up on a farm with a basketball hoop in the driveway. We do have large cities in Indiana.

People who know nothing about horse racing believe all the lies PETA tells.

LOL about people being "experts" at Washington State weather. Everyone assumes that the entire state of Washington is like Seattle. When I tell people I'm from Washington State (the central part) the first question I get is, "It rains a lot there, right?" (When my area is an arid desert that gets 300 days of sunshine a year!). In actuallity Washington State has several different types of geography, which makes living here lots of fun. (Bored by geography or weather where you live? No worries, just drive somewhere else!).

Johar

Medalist
I am happily childfree by choice and people have argued with me about that decision. Just because you have a uterus doesn't mean you want children. I could never find a doctor to sterilize me (I can't tolerate hormonal birth control) because they said "you'll change your mind" or "We are catholic affiliated and can't discuss that." Stop treating us like we can't think for ourselves and stop treating us like potential incubators first and humans 2nd.

*bangs head on desk*

Johar

Medalist
Another one--people who repair computers. The only ones in my area now doing it are so rude and condescending!

First they asked why I was using FB, followed by a patronizing lecture about how dirty the site was. Then they asked why I uninstalled their software, which I didn't. Another business did. I complained about the power cord and battery being bad. They told me not to keep my laptop unplugged in while I am using it. I told them I would have to restart it every few minutes if I kept it unplugged. They wouldn't give me a new battery or power cord. One of them said, "If you had used our superior software in the first place you wouldn't be in this mess."

I'm going to go there and wrap my power cord around their necks and break them! JERKS! And i will use facebook if I darned well want to!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I have read someplace that if you are over 15 years old, and NOT on Facebook, you probably never will be. :)