Why Do People Insist on Arguing?! | Golden Skate

Why Do People Insist on Arguing?!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Seriously this week seems to have brought out the weird in people. I've been "schooled" by many potential guests to our establishment this week on the finer points of all things Alaska. My favorites?

That Mt. McKinley is more NORTH of Mt. Denali. THEY ARE THE SAME MOUNTAIN. Denali is the Alaskan name, but folks down in teh states thought it was better to name it for a president instead of keeping the Native name. Alaskans have "changed it back" (or rather we never accepted the other name). When I tried to explain this over the phone I was told I was mistaken. Um. Okay. :disapp:

Seward is pronounced "Sew - ward", not "Sea-ward". The town was named for the dude who bought us from Russia for two cents an acre. I know it looks like the E should sounds like an E, but it's not pronounced that way. One caller I've spoken with told me that they talked to an "official Alaskan" who said it was Sea-ward... Fine.

Kenai is "Keen-Eye" not "Ken-aye" or "Kenya". And, yes, I'm sure. I was born and raised in KEEN-EYE. One caller said they were sure I lived in Kenya now, but how could they be sure I'd always been there. Um, I don't live in Kenya. We don't have lions or elephants.

Yes dogs can run on dry land. Yours do at home, don't they? This gets asked in just about every call... I get people are concerned for the dogs welfare - so are we - but seriously these dogs are just that DOGS... they may be more athletic than yours back at home, but they do just fine without snow. :laugh:

I'm not sarcastic over the phone, and I don't argue, but I'm very much trying to help - especially for that poor woman who's going to be very confused when going on her mountain viewing trip... why argue with someone who actually lives here? I just don't get the mentality lol:confused:

Toni, I sympathize deeply! If it makes you feel any better, this Lower 48 city slicker knows that Denali is the native name for Mount McKinley. (Do I get extra credit because I know that it's the highest peak in North America?) I would have mispronounced Kenai, however, although I wouldn't have called it Kenya!

It must be so frustrating to have people tell you that they know more than the expert (you) that they called to ask. I'm glad you're able to hold your temper on the phone. Do you remember that film title from some years ago, My Own Private Idaho? I guess a lot of people feel that they have their own private inner Alaska, where they get to make up the details.

Johar

Medalist
My friend lives in Redmond, Washington, and people who live outside of the state insist they are experts on that area's weather.

I'm from Indiana and not everybody grows up on a farm with a basketball hoop in the driveway. We do have large cities in Indiana.

People who know nothing about horse racing believe all the lies PETA tells.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I live in Nebraska and people think there are cornfields everywhere and that we ride horses???

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Don't get me started on that group!

Oh and people are always so shocked when I am 1. not a member of the family I work for 2. I don't drive dogs and 3. I don't like seafood. I can only imagine what they would think if I said I don't wear a parka (can't afford one) and I also don't ski or snowboard :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Polar Bears play nicer - most of the time, not always - with dogs than moose do... Danny Seavey had to shoot one in the dog lot a few weeks ago. Moose came into the area and started kicking the crap out of the dogs in their dog houses... thankfully the dogs are ok...he may be on an episode of "Alaska State Troopers" because of it. The Trooper that came out to the scene that night had the camera crew! *facepalm*

Yipes! Life is much less exciting here in the big city.

Polar bears, moose...camera crews. I think I'm not cut out for the hubbub of Alaskan life. I'd expire of a conniption in no time at all.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
PolyBob, that video is amazing! I learn more about sled dogs and polar bears by the day from you Toni! And moose too! I'd love to see a polar bear paw up close (preferably while the rest ofit is sedated). Alaska is just a whole 'nother world out there!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ha ha the excitement hasn't happened to me in a long time. When I was in 1st grade we had a cow moose with a broken leg come in and kicked the crap out of my dad's dog (we had outdoor dogs then, no more though!) and then refused to leave. She put herself between our house and the dogs for DAYS we were trapped... troopers/cops couldn't get her to leave us alone. They finally had to shoot her - which is when they realized she had a broken leg so it was the humane thing to do in the end... but it was terrifying... they were using fire crackers, trash cans, other noise makers, and she wasn't budging!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wish he'd actually tour up here... I'm not sure he's ever done a show here - Scott's done at least two... even Kwan I think came up here...

Dorothy Hamill apparently did a show at the Kenai/Soldotna ice arena umpteen bazillion years ago. She came back up in 2006 to honor Susan Butcher's Memory at the start of the Iditarod that year... They were good friends.

Kwan did go to Alaska. I know this because my dear late friend Kath and her husband were on a summer cruise there, and Kath learned somehow (she had unerring radar for such things) that Michelle was there. She announced to her spouse that they were getting tickets for the show, and so they did.

I didn't realize that Hamill and Butcher were good friends. How lovely that Hamill helped honor her friend's memory. I remember when Susan B. was ill; I think they even reported on it in People. One of the saddest things to me was that she couldn't get treatment in Alaska, so she had to go and be down in Washington State or some other southern place. It must have been extra hard for her, being in exile away from the dogs.

As for that skate of Brian's, I remember seeing that on his TV special...blissfully beautiful! I think they lowered him from a helicopter somehow to get to that patch of pristine ice. It was one effective skate, wasn't it? Thanks for the reminder, Polymer.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually we have a very good cancer program up here, the issue was her type of Leukemia... it was better taken care of in Seattle. A lot of major issues like that have to be done in Washington. Things are changing. Providence Hospital now has an entire wing in Anchorage that is for paitents with Cancer - it also has a children/family area. It's the Susan Butcher wing. There's a bronzed Statue of her beloved lead dog Granite. I keep meaning to go and take pictures of the area.

And yes, I don't believe Boitano hiked up to the top of a glacier. It was no doubt a helicopter trip. Spendy!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Today I watched a movie with Sandra Bullock?Ryan Renolds called the proposal. Not bad, 2 2009 Sandra film. It was supposed to take place in Alaska, and most of it was shot in Massachusetts, in a resort town called Rockport. They gave the town a million dollar makeover. I recognized parts of Rockport. The house they used was ? where? I wish they would have shot it in Alaska to see beautiful scenery, but I guess they had their reasons.

The house was so beautiful...I did not recognize it as part of Boston's North Shore. Speaking of movies, I was disappointed by the Clooney vehicle "The Descendants." I saw beautiful scenery from Hawaii. I think people dream most of seeing Hawaii and Alaska in their lifetimes. I did.

After watching Streep as Thatcher I guess little could live up to such a movie.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
They shot part of the Proposal in Sitka. The first Hollywood film shot entirely in Alaska was Big Miracle that came out two months ago.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
They shot part of the Proposal in Sitka. The first Hollywood film shot entirely in Alaska was Big Miracle that came out two months ago.

Toni, How is the Big Miracle? Is it at Redbox? Worth renting? If it has a lot of outdoor shots, it's worth it for that alone.

I had several hours of sleep and that helped me to not have another horrific headache tonight. PM me if your migraine medicine is not working for you and I can share what I get. Not sure if I said its not a by mouth med, so hence PM needed to not gross out any reader. Let me know if help is needed. I have no purpose in life left if not to help where i can. I should be revising documents after a week of so much, but of course am just "avoiding" while hanging at GS.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No help needed I know my triggers and what works for me...

Big Miracle is a decent movie. Don't look for the mountainscapes of Alaska, the top of the world is flat and white... it's a very good retelling of the story - if not a big one sided, but not so much that Alaskans are completely offended by the side they take. John Krasinski was the only reason I enjoyed it... and finding all the local celebs/people.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

I had heard of PETA but didn't know they were also interested in sled dog racing.
( I checked their web page. These people shouldn't keep their feelings all bottled up like that. :eek: )