Am I the only one? | Golden Skate

Am I the only one?

aguyin2003

Rinkside
Am I the only one that thinks if B/A somehow manage to medal in one or both of the next two worlds before the OLY'S, that Tanith's citizinship process would get pushed up fast enough to where they can go to the 06 OLY's?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I would have to imagine that this would be the case. The United States has yet to win an Olympic medal in the ice dancing event (I'm fairly sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and this pair looks to be the best chance we've had since the 80s. But, they still have a lot to prove. They may not medal in any Worlds. It will be a battle for silver and bronze this year with three or more able teams competing.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
ice dance

BronzeisGolden said:
I would have to imagine that this would be the case. The United States has yet to win an Olympic medal in the ice dancing event

Since 1976 :) when Mills and O'Connor took bronze. Many thought Blumbert and Siebert should've beaten a very juniorish Klimova and Ponomarenko, but...oh well.

windspirit

On the Ice
aguyin2003 said:
Am I the only one that thinks if B/A somehow manage to medal in one or both of the next two worlds before the OLY'S, that Tanith's citizinship process would get pushed up fast enough to where they can go to the 06 OLY's?
Gorsha Sur, anyone?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Re: Re: Am I the only one?

windspirit said:
Originally posted by aguyin2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gorsha Sur, anyone?

Do I remember it wrong, if I´m thinking that there were powers working against Sur´s citizenship? That might have been the reason he did not get it early enough.

Marjaana

Kasey

Medalist
Weren't Punsalan and Swallow working it, petitioning so that Gorsha could NOT get his citizenship expedited at the time? I'm not at all an ice dance fan, but I seem to recall something like that and thinking "Wow, how tacky of them"...but of course, I didn't know the whole story (and still don't, I think!)

Kasey

windspirit

On the Ice
Kasey said:
Weren't Punsalan and Swallow working it, petitioning so that Gorsha could NOT get his citizenship expedited at the time?
They supposedly admitted it at some conference (and from I've heard, they didn't try to hide it at all). I had a link to some, more or less, official note about it yesterday, but I didn't save it. Btw, I also read about athletes trying to get the American citizenship, and almost everywhere people stressed that it's very hard to get it in shorter period of time than usual.

Was Gorsha supposed to get his earlier than he should have? (how were they going to do it?) I think that he came to the States in 1990, and the Olympics were at the beginning of 1994, so he had practically only three years for everything: 1. green card -- I think you have to wait five years after getting a green card before you can start the whole process of becoming a citizen. 2. then it can take one or two more years until you eventually become one.

Are there any special rules for athletes? (there are probably for other people, like super smart, with two Nobel prizes ;) ) Who takes care of it? I don't suppose that the skating federation has anything to say when it comes to immigration laws. They may petition for it, ask, etc., but if there're any exceptions, they're rather rare and strict. Is there an immigration lawyer here? ;)

Last edited:
ITA, Windspirt - I think the question of putting a sports person in front of the line (by passing others) for citizenship is probably the principal reason for the controversy.

Joe

thvudragon

On the Ice
aguyin2003 said:
:laugh: Who's to say that they will even medal!

I think, that if her citizenship does get pushed up, it will be an unfair travesty. Why should she get hers sooner than others? Just because she's some athlete? I find the whole situation to be insulting to everone else who had to wait to become a citizen.

TV

mzheng

Record Breaker
I don't think the citizenship can be pushed up. Only green card, I knew a few ppl their green card got pushed up because of their outstanding achievements in Acadmy research but still they have to wait 6 (??? not sure) to became citizen, if they choose to.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
citizenship

Being a naturalized citizen myself, the trick to getting your citizenship SOONER is to apply for citizenship a year before a presidential election. They expedite it so you can vote. No lie to this- I applied to become a citizen in 1999, and got it in 2000. I have friends who had to wait three years during a non-election year.

BOTTOM LINE QUESTION:

What is so important about becoming an American citizen?

There are expatriate Americans all over the world living in "foreign" countries and loving every minute of it.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
A Little OT...but...

Joe, do you have any close friends who are not yet American citizens, but desire that status?

I was born here so for many years took for granted what my great grand parents did to get here, and to subsequently become citizens and create a much better opportunity filled life for their progeny.

I have no idea how things get prioritized in the beaurocratic system of obtaining citizenship. I would not be in favor of "prioritizing" certain people because they are top sports figures in this process. It's cool for the USA to maximize gold medals at international and Olympic events, but that's not what it's all about.

All of us citizens (born here or naturalized) share a common bond of opportunity and responsibility. Too often, I've seen people become citizens who don't value that. While at the same time other people who DO value what American Opportunity means are left in the cold.

As an example, my husband and I have a dear friend who has been "legally" here in America for over 8 years, but full citizenship still eludes him. He truly desires the opportunity that this country represents for him and his family. He has worked hard (and paid for) an education as an engineer. He is a volunteer fireman in his local community. He doesn't have the "credential" of citizenship, but risks his life regularly to support his community and save lives, literally. He has followed every rule there is, but keeps getting the short shift with the INS. His long term dream is to become an American Citizen before it's too late (he's too old) to join the Navy and ideally, become a Navy Seal.

When I look at a "regular person" like that who already offers so much, I just can't imagine putting priority over him to a sports figure "just in time" for an Olympic event.

2 Cents Only,

DG

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
why become

an American citizen? well my reason was that a lot of the scholarships were only available to American citizens. While many would argue that I shouldn't be usurping money because I wasn't born here, I'd planned on living here in the states for the rest of my life (well, that choice was made for me when I was a child :) ), and I wanted to at least be able to compete for some of those scholarships, since I felt that I would be contributing to the American society as a teacher (I'm almost there ;) )

windspirit

On the Ice
Re: citizenship

thisthingcalledlove said:
Being a naturalized citizen myself, the trick to getting your citizenship SOONER is to apply for citizenship a year before a presidential election.
But you still have to wait 5 years after getting a greed card until you're eligible for citizenship. AFAIK nothing can change that. Well, you have to wait only 3 years if you're married to an American citizen (and that was the reason for your green card).

Joesitz said:
BOTTOM LINE QUESTION:

What is so important about becoming an American citizen?

There are expatriate Americans all over the world living in "foreign" countries and loving every minute of it.
Joe, there are very strict rules for people with green cards on how much time they can spend outside the States. This is a major drawback, since many of those people still have families and friends in other countries (just anyone who works in a billing department in a phone company). I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think 6 weeks (or two months) is the period of time you're allowed to spend abroad during one year. Every time you come back you may not be allowed into the US; if you stayed a little longer, or did something else (how much time you can spend abroad is not the only rule you have to follow; they have a nice set of them). Not a nice perspective, is it? When you're a citizen, well, I'm sure you know that no one can tell you how much time you can spend abroad.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Re: Re: citizenship

windspirit said:
But you still have to wait 5 years after getting a greed card until you're eligible for citizenship. AFAIK nothing can change that. Well, you have to wait only 3 years if you're married to an American citizen (and that was the reason for your green card).

Well, yeah :) Tanith has been here, I think since 1998. That's more than five years, and right now would be the time to move for her...I'm sure either Bush or Howard Dean would love to have her ONE vote...

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
windspirit, As I understand it (and this is mostly from other boards since I wasn't a big fan of ice dance at the time) they were trying to expedite Gorsha's citizenship and Punsalan and Swallow and their coach were vocal against expediting the process. They said they just didn't think the rules should be changed for a person, but Gorsha Sur fans said that people are expedited for all sorts of reasons and that it was tacky of Punsalan and Swallow because they were supposedly friends with Rocca and Sur (Rocca and Sur had even choreographed a program for them).

However, both teams were going for the one Olympic spot and I guess Punsalan and Swallow wanted every advantage they could get. It all turned out that they didn't need to worry anyway, since Rocca broke her wrist at Nationals and they couldn't compete after all.

Coincidentally, Punsalan and Swallow's coach was supposedly the most vocal in his opposition to expediting the process, and that coach (Sphilband) now coaches Tanith and Ben. I suspect some of his words may come back to haunt him.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Re: citizenship

windspirit said:

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think 6 weeks (or two months) is the period of time you're allowed to spend abroad during one year.

It is 6 month. With green card you are required living in State at least half year for each year.

Anothter benefit for becoming citizehship is that you can apply green card for your family members(parent, sibling), and this is one of the biggest benefit listed in the naturalizing test doc.

The other less bigger reasons for ppl come from those former communist contry are, with US passport you are much easier get visa to Euro contries. Some job positions require that you are a US citizen to applied. At least a few years ago some positions in IBM required the applicants have to be the citizen.

Tanith has been here, I think since 1998. That's more than five years, and right now would be the time to move for her...

Well, she could live in US without green card, especially if she came from Canada. All she need to do is getting the Visa (I forgot what name H1 or some other) which allow her stay here for like 6 month or a year. Then back to canada for a week, came back again. I knew a friend from Canada did this for about 3 or 4 years when her husband, also canadian, worked at US.

Does Tanith have to renounce her Canadian citizenship, or can she be a dual citizen of both Canada and the United States?

MM

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Does Tanith have to renounce her Canadian citizenship, or can she be a dual citizen of both Canada and the United States?

MM

It depends Canadian's law/policy. As far as I know US allow the dual citizen, some of my friends are maintianing both Israel and US citizenship, some are maintaining both Taiwan and US citizenship.

Last edited by a moderator: