Am I the only one? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Am I the only one?

What would keep Agosto from becoming a Canadian citizen? Canada is a very liberal democratic independent State with many opportunities for its citizens. I believe there are many expatriate Americans living in and enjoying Canada.

I'm sure the Canadia Skating Federation would welcome him.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Unfortunately, for us, once Tanith becomes an American citizen she would have to forfeit her Canadian citizenship. They only way dual citizenship works is -if one of her parents is Canadian and one is American.

Many of our talented musicians and actors have taken up American citizenship - Neil Young for example and Micahel J. Fox, I believe Dan Akaroyd, but I am not sure. Many of them live in the States. It seems inevitable. I am not sure if Joni Mitchell relinquished her Canadian citizenship or not, but she does live in the States.

Darn Tanith should stay here and skate for Canada!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
My sister-in-law is from the Phlippines and has her green card. At present, she doesn't have plans to get her citizenship. She & my brother have petitioned for her brother and his family's permanent residencey. They started before my nephew was born and he will be 4 at the end of February. So, no matter what...it is a long process to actually get her on anything other than a student visa or work visa. Tourist visas depend on where you are coming from.

I have another friend who is just trying to arrange for her mother to visit from China. My friend is married to a US citizen and has her green card - I think it does have to be renewed. She is now thinking about becoming a citizen because her mother has been turned down 2x. It's easier to admit relatives when you haven't seen them in a number of years, but my friend can't bear the thought of not seeing her parents for years just for them to visit here. So, she tries to go back once a year for 1 week to 2 weeks depending on her class schedule.

I don't believe that people should be given preferential treatment, but it does happen. Let's face it... the microelectronics engineer from China is going to be admitted to work for an IBM more easily than a Filipino person who is not highly educated. Of course, admittance is different from citizenship , but it is the 1st step.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
A semi-related question to this:

This has been bugging me for the last couple of years and it sounds like there are some of you out there who may be able to answer it...

Denis Petukhov, last I heard, is not a US citizen and there has also been talk about if he can get HIS citizenship in time for the 2006 Olympics. He's married to Melissa Gregory, shouldn't that automatically make him a citizen, or at least a citizen in considerably less time than 2 years??

windspirit

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
Denis Petukhov, last I heard, is not a US citizen and there has also been talk about if he can get HIS citizenship in time for the 2006 Olympics. He's married to Melissa Gregory, shouldn't that automatically make him a citizen, or at least a citizen in considerably less time than 2 years??
Automatically? No. If you marry an American citizen you get a green card, and you have to wait 3 years (AFAIK) until you can apply for citizenship.

G & P got married on February 2, 2001, so it seems like he'll be able to apply for citizenship in less than two months. The process can take from one to even three years, but, 1. it usually takes about a year/year and a half; 2. 2004 is the election year, if that helps. I say he'll make it (in time for the 2006 Olympics).

heyang said:
My sister-in-law is from the Phlippines and has her green card. At present, she doesn't have plans to get her citizenship. She & my brother have petitioned for her brother and his family's permanent residencey. They started before my nephew was born and he will be 4 at the end of February.
Heyang, if your sister-in-law was a citizen it'd take a lot less time to bring her family to the States. The whole process is quicker.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
windspirit said:

If you marry an American citizen you get a green card, and you have to wait 3 years (AFAIK) until you can apply for citizenship.
Yeah. There is absolutely no accelerate process in applying for citizenship. If you got green card for any other reason, not through the marrige, you have to wait 5 or 6 years before you can apply.

windspirit said:

Heyang, if your sister-in-law was a citizen it'd take a lot less time to bring her family to the States. The whole process is quicker.

Yeah. My husband got my mother inlaw a green card while she was visiting us, just in about 6 monthes. But if her family was not currently in state it still would take a little bit longer.