Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation

2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation

This came up in another thread and I am interested so I thought I'd give it it's own topic.

Other than Ashley, who is guaranteed 2 spots next year due to her finish at Worlds, what American women do you think will be given GP spots and how many?

Russia is similar- Alena is guaranteed 2. Is Ksenia as well, actually? Who else will be given slots among the strong ladies field?

I expect Alissa, Gracie, Agnes, and maybe Zhang will get 2 spots in addition to Ashley. I think Rachael, Mirai, and Christina G. will all probably receive only 1.

As for Russia- I'll leave this to someone who knows more than me. I do expect Tuk, Sot, and Julia L to all get 2. Polina K 1 or 2. Shelepin maybe 1?

Other thoughts?

Custom Title
    Skaters aren't assigned to the GP events by their federations any more. They are given invitations based on the placements at Worlds, their ISU ranking points, and on the basis of the "season's best scores" list.

1. Seeded skaters (placing 1 - 6 at Worlds) will get two invitations, and can choose to skate in three events, but must notify the ISU of their intention to do so at the time of the drawing for assignments.

2. Skaters who finish 7th to 12th at Worlds will be given two invitations.

3. Skaters who are 1 - 24 on the ISU Ranking list and skaters who are in the top 24 list of the season's best scores list who don't qualify for invitations based on 1 and 2 above, are guaranteed one invitation.

4. Medalists from Jr. Worlds and the JGP Final will also get one invitation if they are planning to skate senior.

All you need do to determine whether or not a skater qualifies for a GP invitation or multiple invitations is to look at where they fit in the criteria noted above.

Custom Title
    And then there are the host's picks to be granted by the hosting federations, giving some skaters one sole or an additional entry they otherwise would not qualify for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Skaters aren't assigned to the GP events by their federations any more. They are given invitations based on the placements at Worlds, their ISU ranking points, and on the basis of the "season's best scores" list.

1. Seeded skaters (placing 1 - 6 at Worlds) will get two invitations, and can choose to skate in three events, but must notify the ISU of their intention to do so at the time of the drawing for assignments.

3. Skaters who are 1 - 24 on the ISU Ranking list and skaters who are in the top 24 list of the season's best scores list who don't qualify for invitations based on 1 and 2 above, are guaranteed one invitation.

4. Medalists from Jr. Worlds and the JGP Final will also get one invitation if they are planning to skate senior.

All you need do to determine whether or not a skater qualifies for a GP invitation or multiple invitations is to look at where they fit in the criteria noted above.
    Thank you for this clarification. This was actually very helpful to me.

Custom Title
    The problem these days is that the number of entries for singles skaters has been reduced to 10 and the host federation gets three of those spots for its own skaters, leaving 7 spots for other nations' invitees. If the seeds all opt to enter three events (unlikely but possible), that will leave 4 spots only for groups outlined in points 2, 3 and 4 of my previous post, making it that much harder for skaters who aren't from the Big 6 Skating Federations, to crack the elite levels of the sport.

Pairs and Ice-dance only have 8 entries per event and the same rules apply for invitations so they could have as few as 2 spots in each event for skaters in groups 2, 3 and 4.

From Russia not including host pick:

Leonova is guaranteed 2, can take 3 if she wants
    Makarova is guaranteed 2
    Sotnikova, Liza T, Julia L, Shelepen, Biryukova, and Polina K are all guaranteed 1
    Gachinski guaranteed 1
    Plushenko guaranteed 1

Custom Title
    Tuktemsheva is also guaranteed one spot.

Tuktemsheva is also guaranteed one spot.
    Yes, I've included her, she's Liza T.

For the US Men not including host pick:

Jeremy Abbott guaranteed 2
    Miner, Rippon, Dornbush, Brown, Farris are all guaranteed 1
    Last edited by DobrinFan; 04-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.

For US Women not including host pick:

Wagner is guaranteed 2, can choose 3
    Czisny,Nagasu, Zhang, and Gold are all guaranteed 1

ETA: that Agnes might get 1 assignment because after taking out 2009-2010 season and 70% agnes might fall into top 24 in world rank. Thanks fairly4.
    Last edited by DobrinFan; 04-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Custom Title
    Each federation HAS to pick in each discipline:

Three host pick skaters

One from seeded skaters 1-3
    KOSTNER
    LEONOVA
    SUZUKI

One from seeded skaters 4-6
    WAGNER
    MURAKAMI
    ASADA

Two from skaters 7-12 at Worlds
    ZHANG (Kexin)
    MARCHEI
    MAKAROVA
    GEDEVANISHVILI
    HELGESSON (Viktoria)
    SILETE

Three from among the other 'guarantees'

Top 24 WR and SB
    KORPI
    CZISNY
    ZHANG (Caroline)
    NAGASU

Top 24 SB (and/or JGPF / JW)
    SOTNIKOVA 3 JW
    LIPNITSKAYA 1 JW, 1 JGPF
    KOROBEYNIKOVA 3 JGPF
    SHELEPEN 2 JGPF
    GOLD 2 JW
    TUKTAMISHEVA
    BIRYUKOVA
    LI
    MIYAHARA
    SHOJI

top 24 WR only
    (ANDO)
    (KIM Yu-Na)
    IMAI
    FLATT
    PHANEUF
    MEITE
    HELGESSON (Joshi)
    HECKEN

Seems to me that with the ladies, there are more 'guarantees' than slots.

So if a skater doesn't fit into category 1 or 2 how do we determine which of the skaters who are guaranteed 1 spot will get 2???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    So if a skater doesn't fit into category 1 or 2 how do we determine which of the skaters who are guaranteed 1 spot will get 2???
    It depends on space and invitations, and the number of other skaters in the same discipline representing the same country being invited to the same event. I think odds are better for skaters who have 1 invite guaranteed in more than one way to get 2 assignments though. For example, if Josh Farris moves up, he might get 2 assignments ahead of Ricky Dornbush, because his SB, medal at JGPF, and medal at JW all guaranteed him 1 event, while Ricky is guaranteed 1 event ONLY due to his WR, which he barely makes the cut for at number 23 anyways. Idk. I would hope they both get 2 assignments but for the men especially space seems so tight. The same would be true of Adelina versus Sofia Biryukova, both only guaranteed 1, but Adelina by more criteria than the one for Sofia (SB).

^ Thank you.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    For US Women not including host pick:

Wagner is guaranteed 2, can choose 3
    Czisny,Nagasu, Zhang, and Gold are all guaranteed 1
    It looks like Agnes finished 25th in season's best list, just missing top 24 and the guarantee of one slot. I am sure the USFSA can still get her a slot, but it will require more maneuvering on their part.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    It looks like Agnes finished 25th in season's best list, just missing top 24 and the guarantee of one slot. I am sure the USFSA can still get her a slot, but it will require more maneuvering on their part.
    It might be tough because I'm sure the USFSA might want to try to get a second slot for someone like Gracie so maybe she could qualify for the GPF.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast