2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Lysacek already used his opportunitiy to get GP as a comeback skater for the 2011-2012 season. He was supposed to be at Skate America and Trophee Eric Bompard so I don't think he can qualify again.

Did Lysacek use the comeback skater provision to get two GP assignments last season? He would have qualified for one GP event last year b/c he was ranked 18th, plus the USA host pick at Skate America.

NMURA

Medalist
Since it's in Sendai, Hanyu's assignment to NHK is a done deal (I guess). So is Takahashi. The highest place Japanese skater at worlds is always assigned to NHK. It probably means Hanyu needs to skate three GPs. He's young. To have more competition experiences and some additional prize money should not be bad.

Becki

Medalist
Since it's in Sendai, Hanyu's assignment to NHK is a done deal (I guess). So is Takahashi. The highest place Japanese skater at worlds is always assigned to NHK. It probably means Hanyu needs to skate three GPs. He's young. To have more competition experiences and some additional prize money should not be bad.

Yeah that was what I was thinking....NHK host pick will go to takahashi and hanyu will need to compete in three GPs to get assigned to NHK. The only barriers preventing hanyu from doing 3 GPs are school and his physical condition. Hopefully it will all work out ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will be interesting to see the World rankings after the 2009-10 season results are purged and the 2010-11 season points are reduced by 30%. On the men's side, Lysacek will be unranked. However, he may qualify for GP as a comeback skater.

This should happen sometime after the final competition of the season (Gardena) is posted.

I took a quick snapshot of how the top 24 Ladies would look:

1 4289 Carolina KOSTNER
2 3414 Akiko SUZUKI
3 3244 Alena LEONOVA
4 2650 Alissa CZISNY
5 2547 Kiira KORPI
6 2450 Kanako MURAKAMI
7 2431 Viktoria HELGESSON
8 2362 Mao ASADA
9 2073 Adelina SOTNIKOVA
10 2020 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI
11 1967 Ksenia MAKAROVA
12 1901 Ashley WAGNER
13 1804 Mirai NAGASU
14 1694 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
15 1668 Mae Berenice MEITE
16 1659 Valentina MARCHEI
17 1584 Joshi HELGESSON
18 1556 Haruka IMAI
19 1537 Amelie LACOSTE
20 1533 Agnes ZAWADZKI
21 1488 Miki ANDO
22 1382 Polina SHELEPEN
23 1377 Sarah HECKEN
24 1371 Cynthia PHANEUF

Zhang and Flatt drop out of the top 24 and several others move up: Lacoste, Shelepen, Zawadzki

But the SB lists remain pretty much the same.

doctor2014

On the Ice
I hope Hanyu won’t skate 3 GPs. Five of the top-six men from the 2011 Worlds chose not to skate 3 GPs this season. Brezina was the only one who did 3 GPs. He got very lucky to win the gold at SA and so qualified for the GPF, but we saw what happened to him as a result when it backfired and he finished last at the GPF. He was quite exhausted at both the GPF and Czech nationals.

I’m sure most of the top-six men from the 2011 Worlds would’ve liked to earn more money, but they still chose not to skate 3 GPs because they knew that could hurt their chances to medal at the GPF. Hanyu’s physical condition is probably worse than Brezina’s, so doing 3 GPs might create a bigger problem for Hanyu.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Brezina already expressed regrets about doing 3 GP events last season and won't do it again. Is it so important for Hanyu to be at NHK against Takahashi? Kozuka OTHO can go against either of them anywhere.

I really wish the ISU would switch up the order of events from year to year so top seeds would have a chance to skate at different events. Chan, e.g., usually does SC and either TEB or COR. He will likely never do NHK because there usually being at least a Japanese World medalist. COC is right after SC while SA is right before, especially making no sense to debut there and done with the GP events after the first two weeks until the GPF.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wouldn't Zhang's score from 4CC put her on the top 14 scores list?

Yes. The World Ranking list is separate from the Seasons Best list.
Right now, Zhang is 19th on the World Ranking list and 9th on SB; Flatt is 15th on WR and 36th on SB.

Once the 2009-2010 data is purged and the 2010-2011 is reduced to 70%, both Zhang and Flatt should move off the WR top 24. But Zhang is still 9th on the SB list.

If the GP is based on the purged list, then Flatt is guaranteed no GP event, but Zhang should still get at least one based on her Seasons Best score.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really wish the ISU would switch up the order of events from year to year so top seeds would have a chance to skate at different events. Chan, e.g., usually does SC and either TEB or COR. He will likely never do NHK because there usually being at least a Japanese World medalist. COC is right after SC while SA is right before, especially making no sense to debut there and done with the GP events after the first two weeks until the GPF.

The order IS changed from last year: this year, CoR comes right after CoC and NHK is last.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes. The World Ranking list is separate from the Seasons Best list.
Right now, Zhang is 19th on the World Ranking list and 9th on SB; Flatt is 15th on WR and 36th on SB.

Once the 2009-2010 data is purged and the 2010-2011 is reduced to 70%, both Zhang and Flatt should move off the WR top 24. But Zhang is still 9th on the SB list.

If the GP is based on the purged list, then Flatt is guaranteed no GP event, but Zhang should still get at least one based on her Seasons Best score.

Does anyone know for sure, is it based on the purged list? If so do you think Flatt will get on invite?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The order IS changed from last year: this year, CoR comes right after CoC and NHK is last.

They simply switch NHK and the usually last COR this year because the GPF will be at Russia. It really does not make much of difference as far as event selections for the top seeds are concerned.

eta. BTW, why is the season opening SA the only GP event without an announced location? Maybe it's because the USFSA expects the tickets to sell out in minutes with so many enthusiastic American skating fans who don't need to plan ahead?

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
I think they can't find any city/local club that can afford to host it.

That can't be - surely that must have been decided by now? It seems like we whine about the location of Skate Canada International when it isn't announced shortly after the conclusion of the previous year's event, no? Even so, with all the organization needed, I can't believe they'd not have a decision by now.

IIRC in September of last year the USFSA sent out their usual call for bids for hosting 2012 Skate America.

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/eventhosting/bidpackages/2012 Skate America Bid Information.pdf

I believe the deadline for bids was some time in October of 2011. Nothing further was announced. As far as I can tell, no satisfactory bid was received. Since then there have been discussions on the Internet about who the USFSA might be able to strong-arm into hosting it. (Lake Placid? Colorado Springs?) But nothing official so far. There may also be hold-ups regarding sponsorship and television deals.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not looking for the event to set any attendance records this year. :cry:

They simply switch NHK and the usually last COR this year because the GPF will be at Russia. It really does not make much of difference as far as event selections for the top seeds are concerned.

eta. BTW, why is the season opening SA the only GP event without an announced location? Maybe it's because the USFSA expects the tickets to sell out in minutes with so many enthusiastic American skating fans who don't need to plan ahead?

Location for last year's SA was announced in March 2011. It seems more and more evident that USFSA is having some trouble finding the location or they may be lack of bidding cities to host SA in 2012.

That can't be - surely that must have been decided by now? It seems like we whine about the location of Skate Canada International when it isn't announced shortly after the conclusion of the previous year's event, no? Even so, with all the organization needed, I can't believe they'd not have a decision by now.

IIRC, the next location for SC was announced right around the time for SA 2011. For the looks of it, Canada has more promising atmosphere for figure skating than US.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
All recent skating events in the US have had very poor attendances, in no small part due to the lack of promotion since it seems often even the locals, including the hospitality industry, are unaware of them taking place. This is very discouraging for any future interested organization to bid for the events.

All the organizers involved should try the hardest to promote the event and the sport, giving away tickets if necessary. Full attendance looks good, attracts advertizers, draws new fans, and who knows which little kids may be inspired to be the next World Champions.