Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 120

Thread: 2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,039
    I am more curious about whether Yuzuru or Daisuke will take up another GP event, and who will get the NHK host pick

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Each federation HAS to pick in each discipline:

    Three host pick skaters

    One from seeded skaters 1-3
    KOSTNER
    LEONOVA
    SUZUKI

    One from seeded skaters 4-6
    WAGNER
    MURAKAMI
    ASADA

    Two from skaters 7-12 at Worlds
    ZHANG (Kexin)
    MARCHEI
    MAKAROVA
    GEDEVANISHVILI
    HELGESSON (Viktoria)
    SILETE


    Three from among the other 'guarantees'

    Top 24 WR and SB
    KORPI
    CZISNY
    ZHANG (Caroline)
    NAGASU

    Top 24 SB (and/or JGPF / JW)
    SOTNIKOVA 3 JW
    LIPNITSKAYA 1 JW, 1 JGPF
    KOROBEYNIKOVA 3 JGPF
    SHELEPEN 2 JGPF
    GOLD 2 JW
    TUKTAMISHEVA
    BIRYUKOVA
    LI
    MIYAHARA
    SHOJI

    top 24 WR only
    (ANDO)
    (KIM Yu-Na)
    IMAI
    FLATT
    PHANEUF
    MEITE
    HELGESSON (Joshi)
    HECKEN

    Seems to me that with the ladies, there are more 'guarantees' than slots.
    this looks good
    thanks for the info on the available slots per skater

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    170
    It will be interesting to see the World rankings after the 2009-10 season results are purged and the 2010-11 season points are reduced by 30%. On the men's side, Lysacek will be unranked. However, he may qualify for GP as a comeback skater.

  4. #19
    Custom Title DobrinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    695
    Lysacek already used his opportunitiy to get GP as a comeback skater for the 2011-2012 season. He was supposed to be at Skate America and Trophee Eric Bompard so I don't think he can qualify again.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,406
    I hope Gracie gets two spots. Rachael should get only one and Mirai with how she's been fading lately probably deserves only one also. It's time to see who really wants to make the team for Sochi so why waste spots for skaters who don't seem to care?

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Lysacek already used his opportunitiy to get GP as a comeback skater for the 2011-2012 season. He was supposed to be at Skate America and Trophee Eric Bompard so I don't think he can qualify again.
    Did Lysacek use the comeback skater provision to get two GP assignments last season? He would have qualified for one GP event last year b/c he was ranked 18th, plus the USA host pick at Skate America.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,028
    Since it's in Sendai, Hanyu's assignment to NHK is a done deal (I guess). So is Takahashi. The highest place Japanese skater at worlds is always assigned to NHK. It probably means Hanyu needs to skate three GPs. He's young. To have more competition experiences and some additional prize money should not be bad.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Since it's in Sendai, Hanyu's assignment to NHK is a done deal (I guess). So is Takahashi. The highest place Japanese skater at worlds is always assigned to NHK. It probably means Hanyu needs to skate three GPs. He's young. To have more competition experiences and some additional prize money should not be bad.
    Yeah that was what I was thinking....NHK host pick will go to takahashi and hanyu will need to compete in three GPs to get assigned to NHK. The only barriers preventing hanyu from doing 3 GPs are school and his physical condition. Hopefully it will all work out

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    It will be interesting to see the World rankings after the 2009-10 season results are purged and the 2010-11 season points are reduced by 30%. On the men's side, Lysacek will be unranked. However, he may qualify for GP as a comeback skater.
    This should happen sometime after the final competition of the season (Gardena) is posted.

    I took a quick snapshot of how the top 24 Ladies would look:

    1 4289 Carolina KOSTNER
    2 3414 Akiko SUZUKI
    3 3244 Alena LEONOVA
    4 2650 Alissa CZISNY
    5 2547 Kiira KORPI
    6 2450 Kanako MURAKAMI
    7 2431 Viktoria HELGESSON
    8 2362 Mao ASADA
    9 2073 Adelina SOTNIKOVA
    10 2020 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI
    11 1967 Ksenia MAKAROVA
    12 1901 Ashley WAGNER
    13 1804 Mirai NAGASU
    14 1694 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
    15 1668 Mae Berenice MEITE
    16 1659 Valentina MARCHEI
    17 1584 Joshi HELGESSON
    18 1556 Haruka IMAI
    19 1537 Amelie LACOSTE
    20 1533 Agnes ZAWADZKI
    21 1488 Miki ANDO
    22 1382 Polina SHELEPEN
    23 1377 Sarah HECKEN
    24 1371 Cynthia PHANEUF

    Zhang and Flatt drop out of the top 24 and several others move up: Lacoste, Shelepen, Zawadzki

    But the SB lists remain pretty much the same.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    667
    Wouldn't Zhang's score from 4CC put her on the top 14 scores list?

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    103
    I hope Hanyu won’t skate 3 GPs. Five of the top-six men from the 2011 Worlds chose not to skate 3 GPs this season. Brezina was the only one who did 3 GPs. He got very lucky to win the gold at SA and so qualified for the GPF, but we saw what happened to him as a result when it backfired and he finished last at the GPF. He was quite exhausted at both the GPF and Czech nationals.

    I’m sure most of the top-six men from the 2011 Worlds would’ve liked to earn more money, but they still chose not to skate 3 GPs because they knew that could hurt their chances to medal at the GPF. Hanyu’s physical condition is probably worse than Brezina’s, so doing 3 GPs might create a bigger problem for Hanyu.
    Last edited by doctor2014; 04-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,518
    Brezina already expressed regrets about doing 3 GP events last season and won't do it again. Is it so important for Hanyu to be at NHK against Takahashi? Kozuka OTHO can go against either of them anywhere.

    I really wish the ISU would switch up the order of events from year to year so top seeds would have a chance to skate at different events. Chan, e.g., usually does SC and either TEB or COR. He will likely never do NHK because there usually being at least a Japanese World medalist. COC is right after SC while SA is right before, especially making no sense to debut there and done with the GP events after the first two weeks until the GPF.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Wouldn't Zhang's score from 4CC put her on the top 14 scores list?
    Yes. The World Ranking list is separate from the Seasons Best list.
    Right now, Zhang is 19th on the World Ranking list and 9th on SB; Flatt is 15th on WR and 36th on SB.

    Once the 2009-2010 data is purged and the 2010-2011 is reduced to 70%, both Zhang and Flatt should move off the WR top 24. But Zhang is still 9th on the SB list.

    If the GP is based on the purged list, then Flatt is guaranteed no GP event, but Zhang should still get at least one based on her Seasons Best score.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I really wish the ISU would switch up the order of events from year to year so top seeds would have a chance to skate at different events. Chan, e.g., usually does SC and either TEB or COR. He will likely never do NHK because there usually being at least a Japanese World medalist. COC is right after SC while SA is right before, especially making no sense to debut there and done with the GP events after the first two weeks until the GPF.
    The order IS changed from last year: this year, CoR comes right after CoC and NHK is last.

  15. #30
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Yes. The World Ranking list is separate from the Seasons Best list.
    Right now, Zhang is 19th on the World Ranking list and 9th on SB; Flatt is 15th on WR and 36th on SB.

    Once the 2009-2010 data is purged and the 2010-2011 is reduced to 70%, both Zhang and Flatt should move off the WR top 24. But Zhang is still 9th on the SB list.

    If the GP is based on the purged list, then Flatt is guaranteed no GP event, but Zhang should still get at least one based on her Seasons Best score.
    Does anyone know for sure, is it based on the purged list? If so do you think Flatt will get on invite?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •