2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation

Dragonlady

Final Flight
The USFSA needs to stop treating its marquee events like local club comps and get some professional organization behind them. In this age, it's hard to find a club with the resources and the skills to take on the building rentals and other expenses of organizing a big competition with the hope of turning a profit somewhere in the future. Who has this kind of cash sitting around in their bank accounts? And then they have to have even more resources and skills to promote and advertize ticket sales.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Brezina already expressed regrets about doing 3 GP events last season and won't do it again. Is it so important for Hanyu to be at NHK against Takahashi? Kozuka OTHO can go against either of them anywhere.

The reason why being at NHK next season is so important for Hanyu is because NHK is being held in his hometown of Sendai. Hanyu would presumably want to skate in front of all his family and friends (and be a symbol of hope for his beleaguered hometown, etc, etc), but given that Takahashi is both the highest-placed Japanese at Worlds and the reigning Japanese National Champ, Hanyu probably won't be the host pick, thereby forcing him to do 3 GPs if he wants to skate at NHK next season. But I do agree it's probably a bad idea for Hanyu to do so....his stamina is not the best and there's no need to exhaust himself like Brezina did.

NMURA

Medalist
This year's NHK trophy is in Sendai. That is the special condition. There's a possibility Takahashi chooses not to do NHK. Judging from worlds, the ISU and the international judges seem to be ready to promote Hanyu. If Takahashi chooses to face Hanyu at his home town, the result could be humiliating. Even the JSF may consider evacuating Takahashi from NHK trophy. Takahashi's role (as a ticket sales mascot) is not needed this time.

evangeline

Record Breaker
This year's NHK trophy is in Sendai. That is the special condition. There's a possibility Takahashi chooses not to do NHK. Judging from worlds, the ISU and the international judges seem to be ready to promote Hanyu. If Takahashi chooses to face Hanyu at his home town, the result could be humiliating. Even the JSF may consider evacuating Takahashi from NHK trophy. Takahashi's role (as a ticket sales mascot) is not needed this time.

LOL, I just had a hilarious mental image of Daisuke wearing a giant Domo-kun costume and awkwardly imploring people to buy NHK tickets. :laugh:

On a more serious note, I don't think Daisuke will skip out on NHK. He's competed at NHK every year since 2005 (except for his injury season of course) and I doubt he's scared of facing Yuzuru in Japan. Daisuke will have to deal with Yuzuru at Japanese Nationals anyway (if not at the GPF), so what's the point of backing off at NHK?

Just wondering....do you think the JSF will really boot Daisuke off the host pick position? Didn't you say that the highest-placing Japanese skater at Worlds is always invited?

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
LOL, I just had a hilarious mental image of Daisuke wearing a giant Domo-kun costume and awkwardly imploring people to buy NHK tickets. :laugh:

On a more serious note, I don't think Daisuke will skip out on NHK. He's competed at NHK every year since 2005 (except for his injury season of course) and I doubt he's scared of facing Yuzuru in Japan. Daisuke will have to deal with Yuzuru at Japanese Nationals anyway (if not at the GPF), so what's the point of backing off at NHK?

Just wondering....do you think the JSF will really boot Daisuke off the host pick position? Didn't you say that the highest-placing Japanese skater is always invited?

Alissa Czisny didn't skate at SA after winning her national title in 2009, so I don't think it's a requirement.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Since it's in Sendai, Hanyu's assignment to NHK is a done deal (I guess). So is Takahashi. The highest place Japanese skater at worlds is always assigned to NHK. It probably means Hanyu needs to skate three GPs. He's young. To have more competition experiences and some additional prize money should not be bad.

Sometimes it seems to me that two different people are writing as NMURA. You sound contradicting. I don't get it. And why would Dai be afraid of facing Hanyu or anybody else, even losing to his ooponents? It happened with him before, I mean losses, so why would he be scared now. All these your talks that Dai is getting booed by JSF and nobody needs him anymore is just :laugh: .

NMURA

Medalist
Losing againt Chan is not a humiliation for Takahashi. That's something cannot be helped. Losing againt likes of Brezina, Gachinski, Fernandez are just accidents. It happens when Takahashi skates poorly. But Hanyu is a different matter. He can be beaten by Hanyu (more exactly, placed below Hanyu) even with his best efforts (as worlds has proved). And it's quite obvious, Hanyu will be THE favorite in Sendai. Takahashi always cared about being reconized as the #1 Japanese man. The Japanese media often use the term "Japan's ace." Its privilege was dominated by Takahashi in past 6 or 7 years. The moment of truth will come sooner or later. It could be GPF or Japanese nationals, but there's no need to be NHK trophy.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The top 3 skaters get to pick their two GP's. First the gold medallists pick, then the silver medallists. Then the bronze. They cannot be at the same event, unless they chose to do three events. Dai, as silver medallist, can pick not to do NHK, leaving it to Yuzuru as bronze medallist. Or he can pick it himself. But not both.

If Patrick chooses NHK, neither Dai nor Yuzuru will be there, unless they choose to do a third event (not that that is likely to happen. Typically the medallists give each other the courtesy of skating at their own country's event.)

For both Dai and Yuzuru to appear at NHK, one of them will have to choose to do 3 events, something few men chose to do last year.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Losing againt Chan is not a humiliation for Takahashi. That's something cannot be helped. Losing againt likes of Brezina, Gachinski, Fernandez are just accidents. It happens when Takahashi skates poorly. But Hanyu is a different matter. He can be beaten by Hanyu (more exactly, placed below Hanyu) even with his best efforts (as worlds has proved). And it's quite obvious, Hanyu will be THE favorite in Sendai. Takahashi always cared about being reconized as the #1 Japanese man. The Japanese media often use the term "Japan's ace." Its privilege was dominated by Takahashi in past 6 or 7 years. The moment of truth will come sooner or later. It could be GPF or Japanese nationals, but there's no need to be NHK trophy.

Pssshhhht. If Daisuke's going to get his butt kicked by Yuzuru (and believe me, I think it's definitely going to happen too, sooner or later), he might as well get it over and done with at NHK. What's the point of dragging it out and waiting a couple weeks to have it done at the GPF or a month later at Japanese Nationals? The end result is still the same anyway and procrastination is overrated.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The top 3 skaters get to pick their two GP's. First the gold medallists pick, then the silver medallists. Then the bronze. They cannot be at the same event, unless they chose to do three events. Dai, as silver medallist, can pick not to do NHK, leaving it to Yuzuru as bronze medallist. Or he can pick it himself. But not both.

If Patrick chooses NHK, neither Dai nor Yuzuru will be there, unless they choose to do a third event (not that that is likely to happen. Typically the medallists give each other the courtesy of skating at their own country's event.)

For both Dai and Yuzuru to appear at NHK, one of them will have to choose to do 3 events, something few men chose to do last year.

Right, but the host chooses it's three skaters first, before the World champion. So NHK can choose Yuzuru or Dai.

The GPF is in Sochi next season. 4CC is in Japan.

Really, Pogue? That's going to be interesting.

I hope that both sites are at a lower altitude than this year's pick for 4CC.

The top 3 skaters get to pick their two GP's. First the gold medallists pick, then the silver medallists. Then the bronze.

Are you sure? I thought the host federations draw, not the skaters. Whoever gets top draw gets to invite whichever of the top three it wants to invite. And the skaters only get to mention their preferences informally, which may or may not be respected. Isn't that right?

Mattieu

Medalist
Are you sure? I thought the host federations draw, not the skaters. Whoever gets top draw gets to invite whichever of the top three it wants to invite. And the skaters only get to mention their preferences informally, which may or may not be respected. Isn't that right?

I'm pretty sure that Tessa and Scott chose the Paris GP.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe Daisuke would concede NHK to Yuzuru as a courtesy, a gentleman that he is, but I doubt it very much since he is the senior as well as the multiple national and international champion and has been skating at NHK since forever. It's Yuzuru the youngster that should be deferential to the elder statesman of Daisuke's status. However, I don't for a moment believe Daisuke would yield the event because he is intimidated or worried about humiliation. He went up against Patrick Chan at SC and 4CC this season when he didn't have to and I admire how he always looks at what he needs to do to improve himself without disrespecting his chief rival or himself. He maintains his courage and dignity, accepting that winning, losing, and falling are all inevitable parts of a skater's competitive career. I am surprised how his fans would think he is afraid of competing.

The Japan federation and the two Japanese Worlds medalists will have to work it out. It's a wonderful dilemma.

doctor2014

On the Ice
I am surprised how his fans would think he is afraid of competing.
There’s only one person in this thread who thinks “Daisuke’s afraid of competing,” and s/he’s obviously not a Daisuke fan. Seriously, Daisuke and Hanyu will have plenty of opportunities to confront each other (at GPF, Japanese Nationals, 4CC, Worlds, etc). The conspiracy theory that “Daisuke is afraid of facing Hanyu at NHK” just makes no sense.

The important thing here is that neither Daisuke nor Hanyu should do 3 GPs. If Hanyu skates at NHK, then I’m sure both of them will only do 2 GPs. But if Daisuke and JSF choose Daisuke to skate at NHK, then that may force Hanyu to do 3 GPs. Considering how much Hanyu loves his home town, I’m worried that he may want to skate on his home rink at whatever cost—I hope he and his coach make a more rational decision, though.

And I’m pretty sure if Hanyu really skates at 3 GPs, then he will be beaten by Daisuke (and some other skaters) at NHK, GPF, and Japanese Nationals. So if NMURA really wants Daisuke to continue to be “reconized as the #1 Japanese man,” then s/he should encourage Daisuke to face Hanyu at NHK instead.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Losing against Chan when he zambonis the ice is not skaters' problem. It's a humiliation for the current judging system and there is a long full-of-long-posts-full-of-numbers math thread about it just right the corner. I wish I could read that collective labour. I hope I will one day. Hanyu also can skate poorly and he did this season. The Worlds 0.05 doesn't sound like a convincing "beat" to me. I am sure that Hanyu can be a J-champion and win over everyone. And? Dai lost to Kozuka last year. Once he lost to Oda originally, later the numbers and the results were changed. He had/has ups and downs like so many skaters without ISU privileges. He is fine with that and keeps competing. I don't really get where all your stuff is coming from. As for NHK-12, well all these talks who is yonger and who is older, who is from Sendai and who is not, are irrelevant. The one who will have the hard word is His Majesty Television. And those guys no doubt will want to see as many famous J-skaters as possible. I am more than sure that Dai, Hanyu, Mao will be all at NHK in Sendai. J-guys will share gold and silver. And both will win the second GP event. No third event is necessary for them in ths case. Go, boys. :thumbsup:
I am surprised how his fans would think he is afraid of competing.
Where did you read that his fans think Dai is afraid of competing? You said they think. But they don't. Twisting facts is not the right or fair thing to do :p

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Daisuke always does best in front of his adoring loyal subjects at home. Thus his season's best often comes at NHK or the Nationals. I don't think he would give up his beloved NHK.

I knew NMURA really disliked Kozuka but thought he was a Daisuke fan who might have switched sail with the wind. I really should have worded "any fan of his" instead of "his fans".

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

couldn't have said it better, Takahashi has made a name for himself and influenced many new generation skaters
but I feel his time maybe be running out with Hanyu, I see Hanyu as the biggest threat for 2014 Olympics by a Japanese man