Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 120

Thread: 2012-13 Grand Prix Speculation

  1. #61
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    this is what i would do.

    only the skaters who went to senior worlds would get the required 2-3 spots. all other skaters would get the 1 spots if qualified.

    any left over spots would go to next on rank list.

    that is until if they ever get back to 12 per gp event.

  2. #62
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    292
    Then only the 12 who went to senior worlds could compete for the GP final. You need 2 GP's to get enough points to make the final. The other 20+ skaters would be elliminated before they step on the ice.

  3. #63
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,402
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Then only the 12 who went to senior worlds could compete for the GP final. You need 2 GP's to get enough points to make the final. The other 20+ skaters would be elliminated before they step on the ice.
    This. I think a better move would be to:
    1) Not give people the option to do three
    2) Up the number of skaters who can skate in each event from 10 to 12, especially in a year like this when SO many skaters will qualify to do one GP event.

  4. #64
    Custom Title DobrinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    662
    This would have been my argument as well. Doesn't make sense to do it that way as a lot of skaters would not have the opportunity to skate in the GPF providing that they are better than any of the top 12 at worlds.

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,275
    ISU was trying to save money and raise some with star power. There were few takers and those who chose 3 events had bad experiences. This experiment to entice top seeds has failed completely. The question is, what next?

  6. #66
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Did it fail? Of the seven skaters that chose to do three, two of them are World Champions (Kostner, S/S), a further earned a medal (Leonova) and a fourth certainly cemented a higher position in the ice dance ranking (W/P). Brezina and K/S suffered, as did P/B (who didn't actually do three due to illness). I was rooting for it to fail, but I don't think that's an accurate reflection of what actually happened.

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Did it fail? Of the seven skaters that chose to do three, two of them are World Champions (Kostner, S/S), a further earned a medal (Leonova) and a fourth certainly cemented a higher position in the ice dance ranking (W/P). Brezina and K/S suffered, as did P/B (who didn't actually do three due to illness). I was rooting for it to fail, but I don't think that's an accurate reflection of what actually happened.
    Thanks for this information! I was wondering how it all balanced out. I only knew that for Carolina the strategy to compete as often as possible really worked.

    I wonder who's going to do 3 next season...

  8. #68
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,101
    I would say it failed. I don't think attendance was any better at these events because of the presence of supposed stars.

    Plus, there was one aspect of the way they handled it that was absolutely reprehensible. If a skater did three events then he/she/they could count the highest two out of three results in the final standings. (In previous years at least they had to designate in advance which would be their non-scoring event.)

    This is wrong. You can't have an athletic contest in which the favored athletes have a two-out-of-three advantage over everyone else. That's just cheating.

  9. #69
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,275
    Thank you IPogue for pointing out the balancing facts. Brezina wearing out and P/B being penalized financially due to illness have left a strong negative impression with me and I think their examples will be very discouraging to other top seeds contemplating doing 3 events, especially for financial reasons because it can backfire badly. If event attendance did not improve, then I still deem this formula a failure, particularly when the spots deprived non seeded skaters are taken into consideration.

  10. #70
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Didn't Carolina and Alena benefit from doing two three events? Well definitely Alena cuz she made the GPF because she placed better in her third GP event.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,268
    I hope they do away with 3 GPs for seeds. With only 10 spots for singles and 8 for pairs and dance, it definitely limits opportunities for up-and-coming talented skaters. And for skaters whose federation isn't a host, it may mean no opportunity at all.

  12. #72
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,484
    I'm with MM in that while I don't have a problem with certain skaters doing 3 events, they should at least be required to designate which one they wish not to count toward their total in advance, as opposed to simply having the highest two scores count.

  13. #73
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I hope they do away with 3 GPs for seeds. With only 10 spots for singles and 8 for pairs and dance, it definitely limits opportunities for up-and-coming talented skaters. And for skaters whose federation isn't a host, it may mean no opportunity at all.
    But chuckie, the GP events are “championship” events for established skaters, not events for up-and-comers. The ISU has been very clear that these are not development competitions at all and they don’t want no stinking new kids.

  14. #74
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    But chuckie, the GP events are “championship” events for established skaters, not events for up-and-comers. The ISU has been very clear that these are not development competitions at all and they don’t want no stinking new kids.
    Well it makes more logical since to develope them at the GP instead of throwing them into Euros, 4CC, and Worlds.

  15. #75
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,087
    They should be sent to Senior B events to get their feet wet according to ISU.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •