Which Skaters are Great Dancers (all disciplines)? | Golden Skate

Which Skaters are Great Dancers (all disciplines)?

LeReveur

On the Ice
I love dance and many of you love dance, so I hope we can contribute to a great, big dance thread.

Which skaters (singles, pairs, dance) do you most enjoy watch "dancing" on the ice? Which programs do you like the most when thinking in terms of dance? Probably my favorite skater is Maria Butyrskaya, and while I've heard in the American media her flaws (would they be so attacked if she was American?), I always found her to be in great connection with her music.

Who are your favorites and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How about starting with which programs from this year will you be bookmarking to rewatch, just for the joy of the dance?

Some I'll be watching:

Davis & White's Die Fledermaus FD
Virtue & Moir's SD, as skated at Worlds
Dai's SP
Patrick's new EX
Carolina's SP
Savchenko & Szolkowy's LP "Pina Project" based on a film about the dancer Pina's life.
Mischa Ge's Swan Lake SP
Karen Chen's EX to Chinese music with 2 huge fans from US Nationals
and never thought I'd say it, but Ross Miner's SP at 4CC's to a Tango

Which dances will you be rewatching?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
When I think of a dancer I think of Kurt Browning.

As to Doris' question...
D/W's FD, ummmmmmmmm after that I have to think. I don't normally rewatch a lot of the current crop even though I do enjoy a lot of them!

You know I agree with you about Kurt, Toni. I just rewatched his That's Entertainment last night, and I almost had to check to make sure it was actually performed on ice.

Daisuke's hip hop Swan Lake, definitely.

And D/W's Die Fledermaus.

Lambiel, Asada, and Yuka Sato are also very dance-y to me.

Just for starters.

LeReveur

On the Ice
This hasn't taken off as I'd hoped, probably because people think it's about ice dancing and not dancing in general. Here's an example of what I was thinking of: I love flamenco and am a big fan of Cristina Hoyos, the woman featured in the clip below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T2cJgmlpog

Please post some links/info about clips/movies/dancers/choreographers/etc. that you like.

Thanks!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
LeReveur, I'll retitle this for you in hopes that you get some more responses here in the Edge folder, which is very skating-centric.

You will find that in Le Cafe, there are quite a few posters who discuss Dancing with The Stars and So You Think You Can Dance. You might want to start another thread over there about favorite dance videos!

Try giving links to a few of your favorites to get us started!

Last edited:
This hasn't taken off as I'd hoped, probably because people think it's about ice dancing and not dancing in general. Here's an example of what I was thinking of: I love flamenco and am a big fan of Cristina Hoyos, the woman featured in the clip below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T2cJgmlpog

Please post some links/info about clips/movies/dancers/choreographers/etc. that you like.

Thanks!

I love Cristina Hoyos too! I devoured those first three Carlos Saura flamenco movies, with Hoyos and also with Laura del Sol, and the incredible Antonio Gades. (Sigh.....) Hoyos actually had a bit of performance at I think the closing ceremonies of the Barcelona Olympics.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Among current skaters, Takahashi and Suzuki come to mind.

From earlier eras, Orser, Browning, Baiul, Bobek...

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I still think the best 'dance' program of the year belongs to Savchenko/Szolkowy.