Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 87

Thread: Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev switch to Zhulin

  1. #61
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Going to Zhulin may have improved them somewhat but when he had both P/B and I/K he gave pretty good stuff to P/B but horrible things to I/K which included giving Illynik a tutu that made it difficult for I/K to skate close together which is demanded. So his judgment with that was really awful and bad and it affected the Russian team and not the French team which may have to do with Russian federation factors. And his work the past season with the Azerbajaini was old style.
    I absolutely agree on this.The Azerbaijani couple had a good FD,but it was old school and that's why it was very popular among the eurocentric fans.But it didn't do well at Worlds,with a less eurocentric panel.He did a good job with P/B,though in the beginning with their Circus FD it took him half the season to put it on track.I give him the benefit of the doubt though because P/B brought the choreography to him and he had to adjust.
    With B/S and Zhulin it would certainly be extremely interesting.I don't believe they're his style,but then again he did a good job with N/K who also weren't his style.I see Zhulin more suitable to "shorter" teams,with sharp footwork,and that's where he puts all his artistry.More or less what he was doing with Maia Usova.
    The only thing he could offer to B/S would be better costumes,a makeover and some clever ideas,but most importantly some of his fans inside the country.I'm sure that if I/K weren't coached by Zhulin they wouldn't be so instantly loved by the coach's fans.Same happened with the Azerbaijanis and Monko/Khaliavin.He has his own fans and they follow him and his teams.
    Someone who is supposed to be an insider, posted about B/S in one of the russian forums today,basically saying that the rumours are that they are indeed leaving Kustarova but not for Zhulin,nor Linichuk,but someone outside Russia. It's almost a soap..
    I also believe that the Russian Federation had its saying to all 3 top couples' programs this season.Maybe the season before as well.It seemed that they collectively opted for the super-drama,an attempt to go back to what the Russians do best and it backfired to all of them.They seem to search too much for the perfect formula while there is no perfect formula and as a result their teams suffer from following a completely wrong approach.
    If they had someone that knew a couple of things about marketing,they'd have their top 3 teams packaged and promoted in a completely different way than they one they follow now.R/T would be the artistic team,I/K would be the young team with the fresh dancey programs,and B/S would be the classics with good lines.R/T wouldn't be the "heavy" team with undanceable music that emphasizes how slow they are,I/K wouldn't do Ave Maria playing the grown ups and B/S would never do Faust,hiding what they do best.But alas....

  2. #62
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,242
    Tarasova, I understand, blames everything on Piseev's wife Alla.

    Is it her fault?

  3. #63
    Huge Scott Moir Fan Macassar88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I always thought he gave I&K the tutu exactly because they skated far apart, and the tutu was an excuse for it. It was a good cover up for a problem, like having Bobrova skate as a demon for Faust, so that funky posture was just part of the show.
    Totally agree. But I thought she played a witch
    Maybe Meryl and Charlie should people who are chasing each other so they can skate apart as much as possible and capitalize on their speed.

  4. #64
    Huge Scott Moir Fan Macassar88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by alithia View Post
    I absolutely agree on this.The Azerbaijani couple had a good FD,but it was old school and that's why it was very popular among the eurocentric fans.But it didn't do well at Worlds,with a less eurocentric panel.He did a good job with P/B,though in the beginning with their Circus FD it took him half the season to put it on track.I give him the benefit of the doubt though because P/B brought the choreography to him and he had to adjust.
    With B/S and Zhulin it would certainly be extremely interesting.I don't believe they're his style,but then again he did a good job with N/K who also weren't his style.I see Zhulin more suitable to "shorter" teams,with sharp footwork,and that's where he puts all his artistry.More or less what he was doing with Maia Usova.
    The only thing he could offer to B/S would be better costumes,a makeover and some clever ideas,but most importantly some of his fans inside the country.I'm sure that if I/K weren't coached by Zhulin they wouldn't be so instantly loved by the coach's fans.Same happened with the Azerbaijanis and Monko/Khaliavin.He has his own fans and they follow him and his teams.
    Someone who is supposed to be an insider, posted about B/S in one of the russian forums today,basically saying that the rumours are that they are indeed leaving Kustarova but not for Zhulin,nor Linichuk,but someone outside Russia. It's almost a soap..
    I also believe that the Russian Federation had its saying to all 3 top couples' programs this season.Maybe the season before as well.It seemed that they collectively opted for the super-drama,an attempt to go back to what the Russians do best and it backfired to all of them.They seem to search too much for the perfect formula while there is no perfect formula and as a result their teams suffer from following a completely wrong approach.
    If they had someone that knew a couple of things about marketing,they'd have their top 3 teams packaged and promoted in a completely different way than they one they follow now.R/T would be the artistic team,I/K would be the young team with the fresh dancey programs,and B/S would be the classics with good lines.R/T wouldn't be the "heavy" team with undanceable music that emphasizes how slow they are,I/K wouldn't do Ave Maria playing the grown ups and B/S would never do Faust,hiding what they do best.But alas....
    This
    Although I think that B/S do sad/passionate drama really well. I actually really liked their 2010-2011 season FD (in spite of the fact that it was pretty one note)

  5. #65
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nontario
    Posts
    246
    Bobrova and Soloviev seem to be in need of The Three C's, coaching, choreography and costumes. I'd like to see them try something stunningly modern, maybe they wouldn't have to stand her up right away.

    My spider sense is tingling, and I think the heavy hand of the Russian Federation is hampering all their top teams. It seems to me their decisions are made by a committee.

  6. #66
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784
    Mmm...a committee... or maybe a very influential couple..OTOH, Tarasova seems high on Morozov , and I can't share her opinion. I pretty much detest anything he does choreographically, whether in his generic, wishy washy mode (e.g. Miki's 2011 FP ) or his more flamboyant, sexy mode ( you know the ones I mean ).

    I really think the Russians make themselves look dated by trying to adhere to not just a Russian look , but in program content ( passionate angst ) over and over and over again ,when the athletes themselves are probably capable of far greater range.

    They make me think of good old Edgar Allen Poe, who could write a pretty mean poem , but sort of limited himself , because he thought the topic most worthy of poetry was the untimely death of a beautiful young woman..

    What can be a good thing on occasion , becomes mundane if repeated ad infinitum.

    I've been wondering if the Russian Fed might have another try at the Z/S experiment that came to nothing because of Fedor's injury... but I've been hoping that R/T would be the ones to test it out.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 04-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.

  7. #67
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,610
    When it comes to B/S they do need lots of help. If it is not Zhulin and not Linichuk but outside Russia I would assume it would be Cam/Kry or zev/spili but maybe they are thinking of someone else in Europe. Someone not US based and not Russian but totally different but also respected. When Alla Shestekova lost her race to be Ice Dance chair you would have thought that would have lead to more radical thinking and just going to whoever was getting results. But I don't think that has happened at all and everyone needs to just say that Russia as a federation can't make results happpen due to power. There is a thinking like that among Kustravoa. Her comments about "we are doing level 4 but its not being called level 4!" She really said that! That's her thinking. There needs to be so much work done on technical elements to! Not just the three C's. They must all in on whatever the prevailing thought process is. Not try to do what they are doing. All The Russian teams presenting a unified front at competitions with similar dances in an effort to make those dances look correct. That's what it seems like they are doing. Where is a Russian Funny Face? Or Russian Die Fliedermaus?

  8. #68
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    Bobrova and Soloviev seem to be in need of The Three C's, coaching, choreography and costumes. I'd like to see them try something stunningly modern, maybe they wouldn't have to stand her up right away.

    My spider sense is tingling, and I think the heavy hand of the Russian Federation is hampering all their top teams. It seems to me their decisions are made by a committee.
    They can skate to Pina!

  9. #69
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Totally agree. But I thought she played a witch
    Maybe Meryl and Charlie should people who are chasing each other so they can skate apart as much as possible and capitalize on their speed.
    They already did POTO. They have been working on their problems rather than just trying to disguise them the past two seasons.

  10. #70
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    243
    I don’t understand why aerobic dances by V/M with round shoulders and D/W with unfinished moves would be any better than classical dances by I/K and B/S.

  11. #71
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    I don’t understand why aerobic dances by V/M with round shoulders and D/W with unfinished moves would be any better than classical dances by I/K and B/S.
    I/K's classical dances done with messy edges, deploable chreography and lack of holds? Or B/S's atrocious posture, dance steps that have no relation to the music, mediocre transitions and just generally underwhelm?

  12. #72
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,610
    Such criticism of mediocrity! It's like treating Chinese dance teams harshly. I don't want to insult Chinese Ice Dance it just presents something outside of common thought really. Too bad these teams are Russian. If they weren't they might be seen as just above average and not insults to their country and Ice Dance.

  13. #73
    Custom Title Mattieu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    170
    Bobrova and Soloviev's move to Zhulin is now confirmed!!

    http://mn.ru/sports_figure/20120425/316488913.html
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...medium=twitter

    Zhulin says the first thing he will change is their hairstyles

    So the old saying "No smoke without fire" is true in this case.
    Last edited by Mattieu; 04-25-2012 at 06:28 AM.

  14. #74
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattieu View Post
    Bobrova and Soloviev's move to Zhulin is now confirmed!!

    http://mn.ru/sports_figure/20120425/316488913.html
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...medium=twitter

    Zhulin says the first thing he will change is their hairstyles

    So the old saying "No smoke without fire" is true in this case.
    Or we say "No wave without wind".
    This is the best news so far. But I wish it was S/Z. I hope both S/Z and I/K move to someone else than what they have been with.

  15. #75
    Huge Scott Moir Fan Macassar88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    979
    Hopefully Bobrova and Soloviev leaving Kustarova will be a wakeup call to Sinitsina and Zhiganshin who will be in Bobrova and Soloviev's position.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •