Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to an article by the Canadian Press Chan has announced that he is no longer working with Krall.

The article states that the split has been made "with sincere best wishes to one another for the future."

Chan will continue to work with Kathy Johnson, another of his existing coaches. He will also continue training in Colorado Springs and make more frequent trips to Toronto.

Thoughts???

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-parts-ways-with-christy-krall-147616205.html

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I see this as a sign of Chan moving into more artistic direction.

But good god, this is a little sad and uneasy for me.

Ravensque

On the Ice
He did mention in an interview that he would be spending more time in Toronto. This is probaby a good move, as he will be closer to his father who is still living there and it will be easier on his mother too who was living in Colorado with him. The family was split apart. He said he needed a bit of a change.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Chan hugged Kathy Johnson but not Krall after Worlds LP which made me very puzzled at that time. I wish both Chan and Krall well!

Maybe Chan thinks what he needs now is not the jumps but the artistry.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmmmmm ... Krall resigned from Chan's team, according to Skate Canada press release (emphasis added below):

4/16/2012
Coaching Change for Chan

OTTAWA, ON: Christy Krall and two-time World Champion Patrick Chan have concluded their coaching relationship, following Krall’s indication of her decision to resign from Chan's coaching team, which was accepted. While the two have parted ways, it was with sincere best wishes to one another for the future.

Krall, based in Colorado Springs, CO, was a valued member of the team which coached Chan to his two world championship titles in 2011 and 2012.

Chan will continue to work with Kathy Johnson, as he revamps his coaching team. He will maintain his current training base in Colorado Springs, CO with more frequent return visits to his home in Toronto, Ont.​

Yipes! I'm a bit in shock. I'm always anxious when something that seems good changes.

He's still with Johnson and still at least partly in Colorado, though, which seems good, right? For now I'm curious as to how this makes the really intense Chan fans feel. I know that as a Michelle Kwan uber, I was extremely unsettled when she left Frank Carroll, but part of the tension arose from the fact that it was done practically on the eve of the Olympics. This is just at the halfway mark in the cycle, and Chan is keeping some of his team intact.

I hope you Chan experts keep your ears to the ground and tell us what you find out!

Boeing787

On the Ice
Chan hugged Kathy Johnson but not Krall after Worlds LP which made me very puzzled at that time. I wish both Chan and Krall well!

Maybe Chan thinks what he needs now is not the jumps but the artistry.

I noticed that too. Maybe because Krall has taken in too many students and had less time for Patrick? At least spending more time in Toronto is good for the parents. :biggrin: Anyway, good luck to both of them!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
We often see skaters leave their coaches but rarely see coach resign. This must have been talked about two weeks before the worlds. No wonder why Chan was almost in tears and was so low on emotions before the worlds. I hope this won't hurt him too much.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Maybe because the coach wants toget paid more but Patrick cannot afford it. It happened to Joubert.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Maybe because the coach wants toget paid more but Patrick cannot afford it. It happened to Joubert.

Whatever the reason/reasons, I'm very sad.

Chan and Krall made each other famous. Now they have to part.:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
I too felt he was out of sorts at worlds.
Read somewhere that Slipchuk and Kurt had to shake him up just before worlds because he was not landing his jumps like he should and recall that he had bad practices.

If this trouble was brewing then of course that explains his lack of concentration.

When he had announced that he would be training more in Toronto going forward I thought it was a family reason and he would likely have some kind of dual arrangement.

Didnt see Slipchuk coming by and hugging Krall after Chan's program but thought that maybe it just wasnt shown. In fact noticed Slipchuk wishing Chan before the aware ceremony!

Boeing787

On the Ice
Whatever the reason/reasons, I'm very sad.

Chan and Krall made each other famous. Now they have to part.:cry::cry::cry:

Just like what happend to many famous couples. :) Hey, cheer up, things happen. This is NOT the end of the world. The best is yet to come, to Patrick and his fans.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Icenetwork is also reporting that Krall initiated the split and that Chan is now looking for a new primary coach......

slipslidin

On the Ice
We often see skaters leave their coaches but rarely see coach resign. This must have been talked about two weeks before the worlds. No wonder why Chan was almost in tears and was so low on emotions before the worlds. I hope this won't hurt him too much.

It's interesting that this fabulously talented young man has had two coaches resign. Patrick came through with flying colours the first time, and I don't expect him to be badly hurt this time.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Just like what happend to many famous couples. :) Hey, cheer up, things happen. This is NOT the end of the world. The best is yet to come, to Patrick and his fans.

The good thing is that there are many great coaches out there. I'm sure Patrick will continue to thrive. Krall has many students now and she'll be ok too. Who would have thought that Patrick went to Krall was a good move at first?

Boeing787

On the Ice
It's interesting that this fabulously talented young man has had two coaches resign. Patrick came through with flying colours the first time, and I don't expect him to be badly hurt this time.

Because the Chan family are too nice to fire anyone.

Boeing787

On the Ice
The good thing is that there are many great coaches out there. I'm sure Patrick will continue to thrive. Krall has many students now and she'll be ok too. Who would have thought that Patrick went to Krall was a good move at first?

I suggest he train with Doug Lee. He has had Lori and Kathy to help him on the artistry side.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
By the way, earlier this month, the US Olympic Committee announced that Krall is a finalist for one of its Coach of the Year awards. The awards are for all sports; the other finalists in her category are from bowling and cycling. The specific category is the "Doc" Counsilman Science Award, "for a coach who utilizes scientific techniques and equipment as an integral part of his/her coaching methods or has created innovative ways to use sport science."

The USOC's announcement of the finalists noted that Krall's work "became manifest in 2011 world champion Patrick Chan" - without mentioning his nationality ;).

The award recipients will be announced on June 19 in Indianapolis. (As an aside, Zoueva is a finalist in a different category, National Coach of the Year.)