Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall

Boeing787

On the Ice
I believe that Patrick Chan already has a new coach in mind,if not already confirmed. I also think that Skate Canada has applied some pressure to work in Canada with a coach based in Canada. There is also an issue of money,and Canadian papers have mentioned this with regard to PC. It was pointed out that while his Father is a lawyer,he is a civil service employee,not in private practice,and the money isn't too good. I can't see Brian Orser being reluctant to have more than one top level man,and as far as Barrie is concerned,Oda isn't really in the picture at present. There is also still a possibility that PC may still go to a high level US based coach,although my instinct says he will head home.

If Skate Canada doesn't fund him, then they have no say in this regard.
I am pretty sure his new coach will be either in CO Springs or Toronto. Cutting cost is the main reason for all this change. Otherwise why not just keep Krall?

Last edited:

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Chan doesn`t need a coach, he has mastered all the jumps and the judges are giving him 90 in pcs he just needs Lori to continue coreographing good programs for him.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wow I did not see this coming. Just got home from the Boston Marathon (no I did not run, just part of a support group for some friends who did run) and I check in and see this.
Patrick and Krull were a successful team. How long has Krull been Patrick's coach?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then my original thought might be right - Patrick wanted to emphasize more on artistry since he has managed all the jumps he wanted. He needs to focus more on presentation now. This might be unwanted but good in the end move.

and so you were right....

Some more details:

American Christy Krall, widely credited with helping Chan acquire the quad jump that has propelled him to the top of the podium, has resigned citing a difference in coaching philosophies.

Krall said her role had diminished while Chan's other coach Kathy Johnson, a modern dance teacher who studied dance at Juilliard but also works with skaters, had assumed a larger role.

Chan was more interested in following a “different mode of training” this season with a focus on the artistic side of the sport.

“It's all good, it works, it's successful,” Krall said. “But I was stepping out of the coaching role I was in and becoming an instructor, and I personally wanted to do more than that.

Krall informed Skate Canada officials and Lewis Chan, Patrick's father, of her decision the day after the world championships in Nice, France, where the 21-year-old from Toronto claimed his second consecutive world title on March 31.

Krall, who coaches other skaters out of Colorado Springs, also said the split was amicable.

“We will always be friends,” she said. “I always want to see him win, I will always be a small part of his career, and he and I will always remain very good friends.”

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/patrick-chan-parts-ways-with-coach/article2403867/

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chan doesn`t need a coach, he has mastered all the jumps and the judges are giving him 90 in pcs he just needs Lori to continue coreographing good programs for him.

Just like Kwan didn't need a coach because she was on top, too...

I am a bit anxious about how the balance will work, but I'm kind of jazzed that Patrick is focusing on artistry. If this new direction results in more work like that exhibition piece (with CoP compliance, of course), I'm all for it. I hope he's still got someone casting a cold eye on his technique, though. But this is the year to try something new, with two Worlds under his belt and two years to go until the Olympics.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tim Koleto twitter says that Chan has also ended his association with Lori Nichol.

So maybe this means that Jeff Buttle will be his new choreographer???

Boeing787

On the Ice
Tim Koleto twitter says that Chan has also ended his association with Lori Nichol.

So maybe this means that Jeff Buttle will be his new choreographer???

I hope it's just rumor. Patrick should stick to Lori, if not , David Wilson. Have Jeff do his ex numbers.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:eek: Surprised...

Never expected this was coming, as far as I am concerned.
Because to me it's been looking just great so far, I mean, Patrick working with Krall, and with Lori.

But as for his new chereographer, if this means Patrick is going to work with Jeff, I am all for it! :)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Well it's just twitter, it may not be true. Although the story did break on twitter so...... :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Why is this Tim Koleto guy the one to have the inside scoop and break the news about Nichols? With the gleeful

@barbiebackstage nope. Nichol is done with him too #ididntsaythat #whoops

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ I thought that tweet was so rude :laugh:
It's like he's trying to be catty or something. Well I hope Patrick the best with finding a coach and regardless of whether he says with Lori or not, it's his choice.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes, at 19, Koleto lost to a 13 year old Nathan Chen at the National Junior Men event whereas a 19 year old Patrick Chan was Worlds Senior Men Silver Medalist. So this is his opportunity to be catty with the current Worlds Champ? Lots of similar minds on the internet but as a competitive skater this Koleto is not a winner in the making. :disapp:

I'll wait for confirmation of Patrick's total bust out before I bust out LMAO!

CAS

On the Ice
Why is this Tim Koleto guy the one to have the inside scoop and break the news about Nichols? With the gleeful

Reading his tweets he made a bitchy comment about booing Patrick himself if he were at Worlds so obviously not a fan. Some tweets to Phaneuf and Gao and mention of a new program so I get the feeling he was at the Cricket Club getting a program recently (by Wilson?). So between the Cricket Club and his Colorado training base I would guess there is some fire here.

Becki

Medalist

Who is this Tim Koleto guy? I had to google him to find out....http://twitter.com/#!/timkoleto

Not exactly the most appealing profile pic. I guess he's bitter he's still a junior @ 19, while others are/were world medalists at his age.

WoW, he is very vocal about his opinions! Does he train with Patrick?

Last edited: