Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    One bold suggestion: Is a coach necessary when Patrick has mastered almost everything needed for a champion(Note: He has got his 4S). If Roger Federer can(could) make do without a coach, why not Patrick?
    No, no, no, no, no. A coach doesn't just motivate someone to train. Even when someone has mastered everything, a coach notices little errors that can happen almost unconsciously, and this keeps the skater working in "perfect pitch," to mix a metaphor. Tennis isn't skating. Federer can look across the net and see what he needs to do in response to (or in anticipation of) his opponent's move. A skater has only self-reference to count on, except for the coach. There are those of us who feel to this day that Michelle would not have fallen on that jump in the 2002 Olympics if Frank Carroll had been checking her every move every day.

She would've still made the bobble, IMO, but she would've gotten up and not been defeated though the rest of the program... I still think she played it just as safe in 02 as in 98, if not more so, and that's what killed her chances in the end...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    According to Phil Hersh's twitter:

Christy Krall just told me Team Chan chose to de-emphasize her role, so she chose to resign as one of Patrick Chan's coaches.
    I think it's another way to say a pay cut.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Ask Kwan, see what she says about that... 2002 didn't work out as planned.
    Kwan's split was in the fall leading up to the Olympics. I think Mao's split with Rafael Arutunian is more applicable in that it is currently in the middle of the Olympic cycle. In both splits, I think each skater initially performed well due to the emotional high after the separation but suffered as the lingering effects of the past coach's work dissipated. Mao, especially, would have benefited from Arutunian's technical expertise. It's not uncommon for sports teams undergoing coaching changes to initially perform well due to the the change in coaching atmosphere. I believe the New York Knick underwent this earlier this year due to long-time coach Mike D'Antoni leaving the team after a seven game losing streak.

Back on topic, Krall was an incredible asset to Patrick through her thorough understanding of the scoring system and technical elements. Back in 1999, she was a well-known jump instructor at a few skating clubs, such as the Denver skating club. In 2010-2011, Patrick seemed like a different skater. He was really taking advantage of the scoring system from the increased value of the quad. He also utilized the the "de-sequencing" of the half-loop combination to great affect by getting all his triples within seven jumping passes and using a double axel for the last jumping pass. I hope Patrick's able to replace her with someone who can maintain and improve his jumps and go over the rule book with a fine-toothed comb.

Custom Title
    well, i've been expecting coaching changes and partnership break up to be the 'stuff' of the off season news, but I never expected to hear about this coaching change or split. It feels so strange to say but it saddens me for some reason; I guess I've just thoroughly enjoyed these last two years of Chan's skating and this whole coaching team approach, the fluff pieces about it, and I've also enjoyed watching Krall in the kiss n cry and along the boards as she watches Chan....

It feels like an era is over somehow - a kind of masterful and respectful relationship not unlike how Orser and Yu Na appeared; I do hope Chan continues to grow and shine and wish Krall and her students all the very best.

Custom Title
    Much of the credit of Patrick's COP savvy programs goes to Lori Nichols who has been his choreographers all along as well as acting as his coach at times. Initially Nichols and Krall formed Patrick's coaching team after Laws, with Krall acting more as a specialty technical coach, and Nichols playing the main role in artistry. She was involved almost daily via video. Then Krall became the only one by Patrick at K&C and I think it might have something to do with criticism because of Nichols' consulting role with ISU judges. Then Johnson took over the artistic instruction via dance training and her dance videos of Nureyev actually gave Patrick the epiphany to master the quad overnight.

Patrick does not seem to go after the hot coach but picks what suits him and who would help him progress. He had met and befriended Orser and Browning since he was 12 years old but went with Laws in Florida after two temporary coaches in Toronto when Colson passed away. Krall was a part time specialty coach when Patrick met her and eventually chose her to be his main coach and she is now one of hot coaches. I wonder if he has already decided on a new coach since he has decided on Toronto. There is always Nichols except he needs more of a high level technical coach these days with Johnson still playing an important role in his training. I know Browning doesn't want to coach but maybe being a special consultant or a part time coach for his young buddy might interest him? Patrick seems to be aiming for performance excellence, something he greatly admires Kurt for, as well as technical finesse.

While waiting for a confirmation from Patrick, I also hope he may now be able to take some (affordable) university courses in Canada, whether in classroom, online, or a combination.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoyi View Post
    Since he wants to spend more time in Toronto,what about BO?
    Welcome to Golden Skate, yoyoyi! Post long and often!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I've also enjoyed watching Krall in the kiss n cry and along the boards as she watches Chan....
    I thought it was kind of cute how we often saw shots of Krall playing Old Maid with Patrick backstage during competitions....well, at least this parting seems amicable!

If Patrick wants to go to school, I hope he joins Paul Poirier at Trinity College

On the Ice
    I believe that Patrick Chan already has a new coach in mind,if not already confirmed. I also think that Skate Canada has applied some pressure to work in Canada with a coach based in Canada. There is also an issue of money,and Canadian papers have mentioned this with regard to PC. It was pointed out that while his Father is a lawyer,he is a civil service employee,not in private practice,and the money isn't too good. I can't see Brian Orser being reluctant to have more than one top level man,and as far as Barrie is concerned,Oda isn't really in the picture at present. There is also still a possibility that PC may still go to a high level US based coach,although my instinct says he will head home.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I thought it was kind of cute how we often saw shots of Krall playing Old Maid with Patrick backstage during competitions....well, at least this parting seems amicable!

If Patrick wants to go to school, I hope he joins Paul Poirier at Trinity College
    I am not sure how amicable it was. At 4CC he hugged Kathy first and Christy rolled her eyes. At worlds he didn't hug Christy at all.
    Last edited by Boeing787; 04-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Simoncat View Post
    I believe that Patrick Chan already has a new coach in mind,if not already confirmed. I also think that Skate Canada has applied some pressure to work in Canada with a coach based in Canada. There is also an issue of money,and Canadian papers have mentioned this with regard to PC. It was pointed out that while his Father is a lawyer,he is a civil service employee,not in private practice,and the money isn't too good. I can't see Brian Orser being reluctant to have more than one top level man,and as far as Barrie is concerned,Oda isn't really in the picture at present. There is also still a possibility that PC may still go to a high level US based coach,although my instinct says he will head home.
    If Skate Canada doesn't fund him, then they have no say in this regard.
    I am pretty sure his new coach will be either in CO Springs or Toronto. Cutting cost is the main reason for all this change. Otherwise why not just keep Krall?
    Last edited by Boeing787; 04-16-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Banned
    Chan doesn`t need a coach, he has mastered all the jumps and the judges are giving him 90 in pcs he just needs Lori to continue coreographing good programs for him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    BO has Javier, so I don't think that will work.
    Couldn't he coach both? He wouldn't be the first coach to take on more than one "star" skater in the same discipline.

Wow I did not see this coming. Just got home from the Boston Marathon (no I did not run, just part of a support group for some friends who did run) and I check in and see this.
    Patrick and Krull were a successful team. How long has Krull been Patrick's coach?

Banned
    Only 2 years not the end of the world they are some great coaches out there.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast