Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No Koleto will be 21 in June. He trains at Broadmoor SC under Tom Zakrajsek and Becky Calvin.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I am a bit anxious about how the balance will work, but I'm kind of jazzed that Patrick is focusing on artistry. If this new direction results in more work like that exhibition piece (with CoP compliance, of course), I'm all for it. I hope he's still got someone casting a cold eye on his technique, though. But this is the year to try something new, with two Worlds under his belt and two years to go until the Olympics.

Yeah, I'm more excited and curious as opposed to anxious.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, at 19, Koleto lost to a 13 year old Nathan Chen at the National Junior Men event whereas a 19 year old Patrick Chan was Worlds Senior Men Silver Medalist. So this is his opportunity to be catty with the current Worlds Champ? Lots of similar minds on the internet but as a competitive skater this Koleto is not a winner in the making. :disapp:

I'll wait for confirmation of Patrick's total bust out before I bust out LMAO!

Koleto is actually almost 21, he's 6 months younger than Patrick, and he's coached by Tom Z (no wonder he's bitter!). Also, he skated right after Chen and finished about 45 points behind him. He and Tom Z were chuckling when Nathan got off the ice, as if it was some kind of joke that the kid is so good, it was condescending for sure, it ticked me off so bad, but then Koleto had a meltdown and got creamed by 12 year old Chen whose shorter than his leg. I don't get why he's so catty, honestly, he's in no place to be.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
probably about $$$$ or Chan just wanted to be close to home

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Idk, I personally think Chan seems like a nice kid, but from some of his comments, and from what I've heard about his mother, it wouldn't surprise me if he was a difficult student to coach...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Video featuring Krall's explanation. Not something new.

So far my original idea of how this split came about seems to fit. Patrick is on his own path with his own goals. However he has been judged this season, formally or informally, he is pleased with his progress on the artistic front. He will only stay skating if he finds the challenges and the motivation, or, as Krall has said, he would leave skating on a dime. So far he has progressed from focusing on and honing basic skills, to jumps, and to artistry, seeking out mentors for each phase of his pursuit. He has also grown from a keenly learning kid to a young man taking charge of his own destiny. Coaches have different styles and methods which a fast growing student may simply outgrow. Patrick needs a system that lets him grow without containing his talents. I hope he finds the perfect system and environment for his current pursuit of excellence. I am happy to go along on this ride watching his journey.

Boeing787

On the Ice
probably about $$$$ or Chan just wanted to be close to home

I think origianlly the Chan Family just wanted to cut Krall's pay when they were going to renew next year's contract since Patrick has mastered all the jumps needed and will have fewer training sessions with her. There was no intention for him to leave CS and train somewhere else. After all it has worked out perfectly for him there. They even bought a condo in CS. However, Krall decided to resign which makes training in CS kinda awkward. That's why they decided to move Patrick back to Toronto where the living cost will be low and training condition is relatively good. I am pretty sure this has been going on since the begining of this year, it can't be a last minute decision.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^ This is your speculation, right? Or do you have some new info about the situation?

I get a very different feel for the situation. I saw a warm and affectionate relationships between Patrick and his coaches, as late as 4CC time when the short documentary video was firmed. I think Patrick was respectful and they adored him. However, Johnson at the K&C surprised me a little since she was not strictly a skating coach but Patrick was acknowledging her significance in his training and learning. It could be the transition then which carried over to Worlds. Patrick interviewed he had a terrible time leading up to Worlds, when he had felt almost like quitting but was glad he got over whatever it was and competed well enough. (That waxel was likely caused by his losing his focus because of the relief at being almost finished with the program and the long hard journey.) The official resignation came right after Worlds but obviously it had been discussed and the decision had been made.

I doubt it was a money issue since Patrick and his family have not skimmed on whatever he needs to achieve his goals and this year the Chinese community has raised more and promised more for his training. Patrick has also been earning quite a bit more this last year.

I also don't think it has to be a terribly awkward situation for him to train at CS. They seem to have parted with good personal feelings for each other even though it evidently caused Patrick a lot of sadness. But it sounded like he was already losing some fire and passion which Krall was quite concerned about. I think she was professional to realize she was not very successful in helping him mentally then and also she was not going to compromise her method and philosophy which was no more the best fit for Patrick. They both agree Patrick needs a change of environment to keep his training fresh. All in all, I feel Krall still has Patrick's interests at heart and he has respect and gratitude for her. There is a friendship that will last I think.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yagudin left Mishin who taught him basic technics and all the jumps, and went to Tarasova. He didn't lose his jumps. Instead, he gained artistry, and became one of the best all around skater. The future is bright for Patrick. Think positively. I think there is a great chance that Jeffrey Buttle would choreograph at least one program for him. The big question now is who will be his next coach? I don't think Patrick would go to Brian Orser. Even if Orser wanted to have Patrick, Spain wouldn't allow it to happen to their only top skater Fernandez.

I think origianlly the Chan Family just wanted to cut Krall's pay when they were going to renew next year's contract since Patrick has mastered all the jumps needed and will have fewer training sessions with her. There was no intention for him to leave CS and train somewhere else. After all it has worked out perfectly for him there. They even bought a condo in CS. However, Krall decided to resign which makes training in CS kinda awkward. That's why they decided to move Patrick back to Toronto where the living cost will be low and training condition is relatively good. I am pretty sure this has been going on since the begining of this year, it can't be a last minute decision.

I don't think it's about money. I think Krall was de-emphasized because Patrick is seeking the new challenges. Patrick needs constant challenge, or else, he'd feel bored very soon. This time the challenge is artistical expression. But Kathy Johnson cannot be his only coach. Otherwise, it'll be disastrous. He has to have a primary skating coach.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
sigh! How can you guys/gals be so naive! It's all about business! Yes, Patrick has made more in the past two years, but not enough to cover his cost. Yes, the Chinese community raised funds for him, but it is the kind of money one feels uncomfortable to take. His parents were in debt before to support his training, I am not sure if they have paid it off now. What make you think they have the money to burn? Especially when it is not necessary?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^ My first clue was when Patrick hugged Johnson first after the scores went up and then turned to Krall.

I read a Chinese fan's account of her experiences at 4CC and Patrick seemed fine then. She was a Takahashi fan but noticed a big difference at practice where Patrick looked very much the winner. She was distracted and had to chase after Daisuke to give him her gift but was stopped by the security. She pleaded desperately to no avail when Patrick came by and volunteered to take the gift to Dai. He caught up with Dai and pointed back at her. The fan was so grateful and impressed that she consider becoming Patrick fan! She then waited for White Valentine's Day to tell of seeing Patrick's girlfriend. :)

Boeing787

On the Ice
I saw Patrick's mom sit with Kathy Johnson during the gala. He was evidently closer to Kathy than to Christy based on my observation. I think back then he had known the professional relationship with Krall would end after the season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I didn`t know Chan was having such a rough time but I am afraid for him; if he loses Lori Nchol his programs which propelled him to the top will sag. Brian Orser or Doug Leigh who might be a bit long in the tooth now would be good choices. Brian can coach two top notch skaters and I have to say Brian owes his country (not because he blew Oly gold) but it wold be nice for him to put something back in not ironically coach skaters who cost Canadian medals YuNa and now Fernandez. I am afraid this could be the end of Patrick. What got him there was hardwork improved jump technique and great programs and to lose «Lori and Christy that would be a travesty. Sadly had Oly`s been in 2011 or 12 he might have gold; I fear he has burned out and we won`t see him on the podium in Sochi. Wow from world champ to...in two weeks. this is discouraging. I guess one can hope but I don`t find much good about this other than for Dai, Hanyu, Fernandez, Joubert, Kozuka, Abbott and all.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really hope we see him actually use this to improve but I fear the worst! I know money is a huge issue. I think I read somewhere his dad makes $160,000 a year which with Patrick`s training costs and by a lot of standards not that great (although he will get a good pension). Hence the Lewis clan was very happy that «petro Canada or whoever paid for the families of olympians to attend in Vancouver. Tessa Virtue`s dad is a very successful lawyer and can make over $300,000 to $400,000 plus she lives in a much cheaper city. No pension but that is not an issue right now. That kind of income is more helpful to cover costs. I think Tara Lipiniski`s dad was some big American executive and Sarah and Emily Hughes dad is a huge tie NY lawyer. You need money unfortunately to compete.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I didn`t know Chan was having such a rough time but I am afraid for him; if he loses Lori Nchol his programs which propelled him to the top will sag. Brian Orser or Doug Leigh who might be a bit long in the tooth now would be good choices. Brian can coach two top notch skaters and I have to say Brian owes his country (not because he blew Oly gold) but it wold be nice for him to put something back in not ironically coach skaters who cost Canadian medals YuNa and now Fernandez. I am afraid this could be the end of Patrick. What got him there was hardwork improved jump technique and great programs and to lose «Lori and Christy that would be a travesty. Sadly had Oly`s been in 2011 or 12 he might have gold; I fear he has burned out and we won`t see him on the podium in Sochi. Wow from world champ to...in two weeks. this is discouraging. I guess one can hope but I don`t find much good about this other than for Dai, Hanyu, Fernandez, Joubert, Kozuka, Abbott and all.

The rough time was self imposed due to his natural desire to grow instead of being satisfied and stagnant. I think he has found satisfaction in his achievements competition wise with his Guinness records and Worlds titles, with an OGM as a possibility and ambition. He is finding his own motivation and challenges, like moving goal posts, in order to continue. Patrick is such a complete package of extraordinary talents, grits, work ethics, learning attitude and aptitude, as well as strong parental support that he is not going to fall off his game because of a coaching change partly initiated by himself. This is his journey to greatness, not without some pain and drama along the way.

eta. I admit, there are times I put myself in his shoes and feel rather discouraged with all the negativity against him for all his lifetime of hard work and sacrifices from the whole family, as well as financial and emotional debts to bear. The public reaction to the China comments was particularly ugly and I admire how he faced it and kept himself together for the GPF. As I recounted earlier, he was so stressed at every competition this season that I picture few people could have survived with the kind of result he had to show. I hope he has a good time at WTT and enjoys some downtime after.

Last edited:

tampro1

Rinkside
Just like Kwan didn't need a coach because she was on top, too...

We all know how that worked out for what turned out to be her last opportunity to win the Olympics :bang: At least he has two years before the Olympics and not a few months. Also in this case, the coach resigned rather than the athlete left. Change could be good for Chan.

figuristka

Medalist
Here was a profile on Patrick at his training base if it was missing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBUMs9kkk8

I agree there seemed to be too much negativity towards him by some. Whether its Daisuke or Patrick or other top skater they have to be respected for all their hard work, and great talent. They must go through so much throughout the year. I think Patrick is improving as an artist and wants to improve that way. Hopefully its the right decision. We're lucky to have him in the sport.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope that Chan would fully concentrate on his training and move to a place with his parents not too far off. "Constant" travelling from one country to another to visit parents must be very distracting considering anyone´s training. Especially if the goal is to become an Olympic champion, one has to make practical and wise decisions which will help one in reaching that goal.

Last edited: