Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Parts Ways With Christy Krall

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In music and in dance, there are those that invite you to be involved, making you want to sing along and dance along, at least swaying your body to the rhyme or clapping to the beat, and there are those that awe you, taking you along an emotional journey, a story, to another world, or just plain mesmerizing beauty or weirdness. You may be a participant in emotion but not in motion or performance which is beyond your abilities. You may be awed and be grateful to have witnessed or experienced it but you may not take part physically. You can appreciate or resent the eliteness, or dismiss them as nonsense which they may or may not be. You easily relate to the former but not always to the latter all of which are not necessarily your cup of tea. Tastes vary but knowledgeable critics do at least appreciate the skills and talents in such performances.

Maybe I am just elaborating on the difference between reaching out and drawing in, not that they are entirely mutually exclusive.

Facial expressions, are they equally important and in range in hiphop and contemporary dance? Some executions do take so much skills and attention, be it break dancing or operatic singing, that facial expressions are not as focused on or noticeable, especially with quick motion performances like tumbling or full speed full body deep edged skating with many directional and vertical changes. The face just does not stay in one place long enough. But there are so many parts of the performer and performance to notice that the face's role becomes relatively small until the slow or still part of the performances. Of course, the more slow and still portions during the performance, the more the opportunities for the performer to showcase his/her facial expressions.

skatinginbc

Medalist
So Patrick needs to improve his facial expression and performance capacity because "people" complain about his PCS? It is the waxel that got "people" all riled up and it is used against his winning even though they can't complain about his tech score. Much easier to complain about PCS with criticism on "facial expression" and "performance capacity". So some people just don't like his face. What can Patrick do about it to quell the criticism?
No, you got it wrong. People not only complained about his waxel, but also his spins, his awkward three-jump combo, his eye-catching off balanced footwork during the SP, his unconvincing or relatively lack of emotional/motivational involvement in his performances, his inability to match all choreographed finesse with musical nuances due to timing issues, his staying "at a similar level throughout" (according to Jackie Wong) or, in CoP language, lack of "artistic ways of bringing subtle variations to the intensity, tempo, and dynamics of the music", his recycled SP that he skated with such boredom--His face was bored, his arms were bored and even his buttocks and the blades that supported his unmotivated body were bored.....

Facial expression is one of the ways but not a necessary or important way to show a skater's emotional involvement to the music. Jeffrey Buttle, for example, did not express too much facial expression in his competitive programs, yet his commitment to the music and his emotional and intellectual involvement were honest and evident.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
No, you got it wrong. People not only complained about his waxel, but also his spins, his awkward three-jump combo, his unconvincing or relatively lack of emotional/motivational involvement in his performances, his inability to match all choreographed finesse with musical nuances due to timing issues, his staying "at a similar level throughout" (according to Jackie Wong) or, in CoP language, lack of "artistic ways of bringing subtle variations to the intensity, tempo, and
dynamics of the music", his recycled SP that he skated with such boredom--His face was bored, his arms were bored and even his buttocks and the blades that supported his unmotivated body were bored.....

Facial expression is one of the ways but not a necessary or important way to show a skater's emotional involvement to the music. Jeffrey Buttle, for example, did not express too much facial expression in his competitive programs, yet his commitment to the music and his emotional and intellectual involvement were honest and evident.

As long it's "people" and not "we all feel", I guess you can state whatever you want as facts.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Next year, Kathy Johnson will feel her role marginalized and leave Patrick who, having mastered body movements, has been spending more and more time with his facial expression coach.

lavender

Record Breaker
Why Morozov...

I remember day when I use to hear that he was choreographing a program and I was so excited but now it's just dread.

lavender

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by SkateFiguring

Whatever criticisms and insults some people throw at Lori Nichols, she is a proven champion maker whom top skaters flock to. Why mess with a winning formula? Unless she and Krall are a package deal. Johnson did take over Nichols' role as the artistic coach.

I agree. For some skaters things just really click like Michelle, S &P, Kostner and Patrick. Not everyone can click with everyone's work (ie. Mirai). No one is at fault if that happens.

-Great soundtrack choice for Patrick.

The Mission Impossible theme has the same odd-ball 5/4 rhythm as Take Five. In fact, these are the only two songs I know that have that one-two-three-FOUR-five beat. He's got the program ready-made. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
-Great soundtrack choice for Patrick. With Morozov's trademark raunchy hip thrusting antics, Patrick will silence his critics in no time.

Don't forget the finger guns, and pulling off the rubber masks is the perfect pretext for head rubbing and face caressing.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
The Mission Impossible theme has the same odd-ball 5/4 rhythm as Take Five. In fact, these are the only two songs I know that have that one-two-three-FOUR-five beat. He's got the program ready-made. :)

Wait, did our posts just converge for a moment? Should I go see a doctor?

In all seriousness, Patrick's Take-Five isn't one my favorite performances of that song but Lori's design of the program is something to behold. Everything from the varied locations of the technical elements to the high-speed straightline step sequence down the length of the rink is great. You could take the skeleton of that program and make it work for a lot of the other odd ball songs Brubeck performed.

phaeljones

On the Ice
patrick

How to express this?

Being from Toronto, I have always felt a connection to Patrick Chan and I am really proud of this kid. He is only 21 and it has to be tough for anybody, let alone someone his age, to hold up under all the pressure and all the crap, through which no fault of his own, gets constantly thrown at him. Despite this, he has always been amazing both on and off the ice. I can't imagine how horrible it must have felt to him to have been booed at Nice. Here is someone who gives everything he has and is booed. (Only 21, remember?) As well, I don't think that the Toronto newspapers or the Canadian media really support him. With all due respect to our papers, it barely got mentioned here that he won the worlds. So after the booing, nothing back home.

Two years ago, when he left Don Laws, I was shocked. When I saw his performance in China, I was relieved. However, this year, there came that terrible article just before he competed in Montreal. Then, this year, when I flipped on the tv to watch the worlds, it seemed apparent that there was something off with his concentration. There were fantastic moments in his performance that reminded me of how good he is, but there was this "cloud" over him. It was like he was watching himself. And then when it was over: The booing.

I have no doubt that Patrick will not have a coach problem, wherever he goes. More than the coach issue, he needs more of Toronto, AND CANADA, to give him a hug, a lot of thanks and a Hell of lot more support. And all those people who are in the business who basically attack these skaters of being unworthy, and everyone in a crowd who boos a skater, I hope that they remember that most of these skaters, even the ones in their twenties, are really just kids and no person, let alone a kid, should be treated that way.

So why I am saying this here under this thread? Because I don't think that Patrick Chan's departure with Krall is problematic for him. I believe them both when they say that the parting is amicable. I do think that part of the reason why Patrick needs to come back to Toronto is so that he is closer to home, and it may be that the parting with Krall is a symptom of that need. I also think Toronto and Canada owes Patrick Chan a hug and more support, and, even secondary to his performance in the future, I just hope he feels some warmth. That will be more determinative of how well he does but more importantly how he feels about himself.

IF YOU CAN HEAR THIS PATRICK: WE LOVE YOU.

Boeing787

On the Ice
With all due respect to our papers, it barely got mentioned here that he won the worlds. So after the booing, nothing back home.

I was wondering about the same. Now looking back, I think it's Patrick's decision to decline interviews because of the coach changing issue.

Last edited: