Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: "Tatiana Tarasova outraged at refereeing of the World Championship of Figure Skating"

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,609
    Tarasova is entitled to her opinions, but her opinions do not carry any weight with me, especially considering her ridiculous remarks about Joubert´s scoring, LOL. If anything, Joubert was overscored and did not deserve a bronze medal (and Hanyu did), in my opinion. Tarasova apparently has difficulties in getting it, that the 6.0 scoring is long over.
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-18-2012 at 04:27 AM.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    I dunno doris, I think she's trying to sneak a little I/K boost in there. Interesting, given how thoroughly she hammered them and Zhulin at the beginning of last season. More generally, complaining about the massive influence of another federation could certainly be read as the diminishing influence of her own (the Alla comment)

  3. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I dunno doris, I think she's trying to sneak a little I/K boost in there. Interesting, given how thoroughly she hammered them and Zhulin at the beginning of last season. More generally, complaining about the massive influence of another federation could certainly be read as the diminishing influence of her own (the Alla comment)
    Her influence was diminished abruptly right after Vancouver Olympics. I remember North Americans (Sasha, Kwan,Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz, Timothy Goebel, Johnny Weir,etc) thronged to get the choreography from her. All over the world, Eurpeans and Japanese also wanted eagerly to get programs from her. What glorious days for her. Now,,,,, Who's gonna want the programs from her except Russians?
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-18-2012 at 06:34 AM.

  4. #19
    Simply the best. l'etoile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny 80 View Post
    Her influence was diminished abruptly right after Vancouver Olympics. I remember North Americans (Sasha, Kwan,Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz, Timothy Goebel, Johnny Weir,etc) thronged to get the choreography from her. All over the world, Eurpeans and Japanese also wanted eagerly to get programs from her. What glorious days for her. Now,,,,, Who's gonna want the programs from her except Russians?
    You may be forgetting something, Tat is indeed a chief staff for Russian figure skating team heading for Sochi and it's now unknown that Russian federation is reserving top Russian coaches' time and energy for their skaters.

  5. #20
    Simply the best. l'etoile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Tarasova is entitled to her opinions, but her opinions do not carry any weight with me, especially considering her ridiculous remarks about Joubert´s scoring, LOL. If anything, Joubert was overscored and did not deserve a bronze medal (and Hanyu did), in my opinion. Tarasova apparently has difficulties in getting it, that the 6.0 scoring is long over.
    ITA. Wouldn't add a word to what you said there.

  6. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    160
    She is entitled to her own opinion i think she is pissed that V&M were able to win over the european judges with a very broadway american type of program something not even Torvill and Dean could do in 1994. Not everyone agrees both Krylova and Zhulin felt V&M deserved it as did the Italian Commentators anyway it was not close in the end V&M beat them on TES the three times they faced they had the more difficult program.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    103
    Tarasova: Takahashi [otkatal] simply best program in his life. It has phenomenal program and the unique technology of glide and rotation.
    I agree with Tat that Daisuke’s program is phenomenal, but what does "unique technology of… rotation" mean in that sentence? Does it refer to rotation of jumps? So Tat thinks that one of Daisuke’s biggest merits is his unique jumping technique that he rotates marvellously in the air? Well, I really like Daisuke, but I wouldn’t say he has best jumping techique, especially compared to Patrick and Hanyu. Daisuke himself also admitted his weakness is quad and he’s going to work on it. There are many other beautiful things about Daisuke’s skating, and one can make a long list of them. I’m just not sure why Tat emphasizes his “rotation.”

    Tarasova: But Joubert literally rose from the ashes, such things must be also evaluated. But completely young person from Japan Yuzuru Hanyu could still stand in the fourth place, because Joubert did everything.
    So Tat thinks: “Joubert didn’t do well for the last 2 years and he finally ‘rose from the ashes’ in Nice. Good for him and when scoring him the judges should not have just looked at his performance on March 31 but should’ve also evaluated his ‘rising from the ashes,’ so he should’ve podiumed. OTOH, this ‘completely young person from Japan’ whom I hardly know ‘could still stand in the fourth place.’ In other words, this kid is still young and he’s a complete stranger to me, so the judges should’ve made him wait his turn. How this kid skated on that particular night was irrelevant as long as Joubert gave everything Joubert had.”

    Tat and Joubert have been good friends for quite some years, so she thinks her friend Joubert’s “rising from the ashes” deserves some extra points. This is just her personal bias. She doesn’t even bother to compare what Joubert did and what Hanyu did on that particular night to justify her opinion. “Rising from the ashes” and home advantage already helped Joubert to be overscored on PCS, but Tat doesn’t bother to take a look at the huge 12.82-point gap between their TESs.
    Last edited by doctor2014; 04-18-2012 at 09:09 AM.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Tarasova also thought that Frank Carroll should have slipped a bottle of Vodka to the judges under the table before 1998 Olympics for Michelle Kwan.

  9. #24
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Tarasova also thought that Frank Carroll should have slipped a bottle of Vodka to the judges under the table before 1998 Olympics for Michelle Kwan.
    Tarasova may or may not have stolen that bottle and drunk it herself!

  10. #25
    ...and a bag of chips
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    On the complaints of politicking, it is interesting that she is complaining on behalf of Takahashi, Davis & White, and Joubert, not about the scores of Russian ice dancers and men's competitors.
    With ice dance, of course she wouldn't be complaining about I/K's scores. She needs to complain about V/M and the PCS because she's desperate to change the PCS judging to something that will favor I/K by Sochi. See Alla's comments about how the present judging system does not work well for Russian teams.

    I don't follow the men's discipline enough to comment about it.

    ETA: You know, if PCS judging does change, D/W stand to get hurt by it as much as, if not more than, V/M. If this swing happens *because of politiks*, D/W will get dropped for the same reason the swing happens.
    Last edited by all that; 04-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    776
    Disagree with Doris about Tat's politiking. She was doing this IMO in the entire article which I read in translation. She is the consummate politician.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    With ice dance, of course she wouldn't be complaining about I/K's scores. She needs to complain about V/M and the PCS because she's desperate to change the PCS judging to something that will favor I/K by Sochi. See Alla's comments about how the present judging system does not work well for Russian teams.
    It worked well enough for Dom/Shabs.

    Perhaps what TT should be looking at is the dreadful packaging of the current Russian teams. B&S have programs straight out of the 1980’s and their technique is suspect. I&K have work ethic issues, and he is not a good match for her. They will not be able to compete against the top North American teams unless he improves and again, they get better programs.

    The belief that it’s all politiks as usual may mean that the Russian skaters will not work on their shortcomings, thinking their federation can politik a medal for them.

  13. #28
    ...and a bag of chips
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    It worked well enough for Dom/Shabs.

    Perhaps what TT should be looking at is the dreadful packaging of the current Russian teams. B&S have programs straight out of the 1980’s and their technique is suspect. I&K have work ethic issues, and he is not a good match for her. They will not be able to compete against the top North American teams unless he improves and again, they get better programs.

    The belief that it’s all politiks as usual may mean that the Russian skaters will not work on their shortcomings, thinking their federation can politik a medal for them.
    To me, it looked like Alla was saying that Russians don't have the time, the proper facilities/resources, nor teams that have been together forever, to get to the state of skating V/M are at right now. Changing the PCS weights to things that can be achieved more quickly, such as rewarding fast skating over proper body positioning, would help get teams like I/K up faster. Doing it the way V/M did it would mean no medals in Sochi.
    Last edited by all that; 04-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Daisuke's skate was the most thrilling for me ,and I would have been very happy to see him win.

    But you'll have to excuse me if I harbour something of a suspicion that equally, if not more important in her noble indignation, is the ridiculous point she tries to make about I/K. They've long deserved to be third ? ( if this translation is to be trusted )..No. I would not be surprised if this was the real thrust behind her efforts. Elena is a beautiful girl, they are talented ... but they don't make a convincing couple to me ( and I'm not referring to the idea of romance between them ) There is no sense of togetherness. They may achieve that yet, but let them do it first . There are no marks awarded for promise.
    What I understand from the previous post is that TT thought Russian skating fed didn't prepare( train ) I/K enough. I/K's talent has not been developed. Otherwise they would have been on podium. I don't feel that TT meant I/K should have been on podium with their current status.

  15. #30
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    17,093
    Yes, that's how I understood it. And that she blames Alla S. for everything that has happened to Russian ice dancing in the past 10 years, rather than blaming politicking.

    She feels a properly coached I&K could be winning the bronze by now. Who knows? Maybe they should have been sent to S&Z

    However, that would require an I&K that would actually either work hard or have been coached or pushed to work hard, on the pattern dance parts of their SD's. Both their Golden waltz and rhumba were kind of subpar for the last 2 seasons. It should be remembered that they are very young. Elena is not yet 18, and as early as when they won Jr. Worlds, already people were talking like they were going to win gold in Sochi. That is a heavy burden to land on the shoulders of a young teen, particularly when the burden is as huge as the history of gold medals in Russian ice dancing.

    TAT and everyone else should cut them some slack. They are talented kids.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •