Gracie Gold will go senior in 2012-2013 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold will go senior in 2012-2013

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just something to note from a recent IN article:

Gold intends to compete on the senior international circuit this fall, including at least one Grand Prix event.

"That's the hope and plan," the Chicago area teen said. "I'm getting two new programs, and Scott will be doing both again. We haven't actually started yet, though, because of World Team Trophy."

This is great news!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yeah I think she has a great opportunity to win a national title next year if she can even skate like she did this season. At her age and skill level there's really no upside to staying a junior.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She is amazing.And she hasn't even reached her full potencial!She has things to improve and even with that her score is big..She has a great future) American next star indeed

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The US ladies who refused to go to WTT, and thus let Gracie go, will rue the day, I predict.

Trewyn

Medalist
The US ladies who refused to go to WTT, and thus let Gracie go, will rue the day, I predict.

Haha, maybe. I do hope Ashley will finish highest from the US on Saturday, but I'm biased :) Either way this competition should be a confidence boost for Gracie who will no longer have 'first time as a senior' jitters in her GPs. (I'm pretty sure she'll get 2)
Her going senior next year is yet another piece of non-news together with the 'muscled Ashley' thread :p But off-season is coming, so I guess we all need to find stuff to talk about. Of course she's going to go senior, if she wants to go to Olympics, it's time skate on the senior circuit.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gracie should go to T&T's coach/choreographer and ask for programs. They make stunning programs for T&T year after year.
My opinion about her hasn't changed. When I saw her at Nats, I remarked her jumps were just adequate. Sure, she can do hard combo, has no edge problem. But the quality isn't there. Look up the protocol at Nats, she had little GOE on her jumps (even at Nats)
She will have no trouble keeping up on the TES side because her BV is higher than other girls.

I suspect with the same skates next year, the USF will put Ashley/Alissa way ahead of Gracie. Gracie needs to assert herself as US #1 on Saturday.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Haha, maybe. I do hope Ashley will finish highest from the US on Saturday, but I'm biased :) Either way this competition should be a confidence boost for Gracie who will no longer have 'first time as a senior' jitters in her GPs. (I'm pretty sure she'll get 2)
Her going senior next year is yet another piece of non-news together with the 'muscled Ashley' thread :p But off-season is coming, so I guess we all need to find stuff to talk about. Of course she's going to go senior, if she wants to go to Olympics, it's time skate on the senior circuit.

This thread is more to update everyone on her intentions. As I said earlier, at Nationals she was pretty noncommittal on her plans. It's not a surprise she is moving up, but still worth noting and confirming.

As for the Ashley muscle thread--it's all in good fun! :)

Trewyn

Medalist
I didn't know she was noncommittal about her plans for next season, though I guess she wanted to wait until after Jr Worlds to commit to anything.

True :) The forum should definitely be fun :) Next to all the drama sometimes ;)

mskater93

Record Breaker
When I saw her at Nats, I remarked her jumps were just adequate. Sure, she can do hard combo, has no edge problem. But the quality isn't there. Look up the protocol at Nats, she had little GOE on her jumps (even at Nats)
She will have no trouble keeping up on the TES side because her BV is higher than other girls.

I suspect with the same skates next year, the USF will put Ashley/Alissa way ahead of Gracie. Gracie needs to assert herself as US #1 on Saturday.

I disagree about her not "getting much GOEs for her jumps, even at Nationals". Don't forget, that even a +3 GOE across the board does not equate to 3 additional points unless it's a 3A or higher now (Yuna Kim rule). The only jump across two programs that netted a negative GOE was the 2A she fell on near the end of her LP when she had a lapse in concentration.

She still scored decently in PCS at WTT, even as the first skater overall and with very limited international experience. She HAD to be nervous - it's her first Senior event...this will affect how she presents the program.

Here's a look at the protocols with regards to jumps from Nationals for Gracie for anyone who cares to join this discussion (including judges' breakdowns):
SP
3F+3T: Factored GOE:+0.8 (2, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1)
3Lz: Factored GOE: 0 (0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0, -2, -1)
2A: Factored GOE: +0.64 (2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1)

LP
3Lz+3T: Factored GOE: +1.6 (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 2)
2A+3T: Factored GOE: + 1.3 (2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1)
3Lo: Factored GOE: +1 (1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 1)
3F: Factored GOE: 0 (0, -1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0)
3Lz: Factored GOE: +1.2 (2, 1, 1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1)
2A: Factored GOE: -1.5 (Fall) (-3, -3, -3, -3, -3, -3, -3, -2, -3)
3S+2T: Factored GOE: +0.7 (1, 0, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

I see a lot of + GOE all over the place with a smattering of negatives for something judges felt necessary to dock (a couple shakier landings and the fall).

Flattfan, I don't understand your dismissive attitude of Gracie's skating - Gracie's got a LOT going for her and will only improve as she gains more experience and sets her goals for 2013 and beyond. If her trajectory continues, others are going to be looking up at her as the one to beat. I don't see Alissa's PCS staying high. Benefit of the doubt will be gone...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The hype she got prior to Nat and after Nat was ridiculous.
You can go back and read the SP thread after Nat. People were gushing "Tonya-esque" "huge" "Midori" on her lutz.
My reaction was: No no no, she was just adequate

Nothing's dismissive about what I said. She's the best going forward, but she's certain no Miki, let alone Midori, when it comes to jumping ability. Read my posts again, I didn't say I would put the other girls in front of her, right? I'm just afraid the US judges will. Why are you so defensive? Goodness.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The hype she got prior to Nat and after Nat was ridiculous.
You can go back and read the SP thread after Nat. People were gushing "Tonya-esque" "huge" "Midori" on her lutz.
My reaction was: No no no, she was just adequate

Nothing's dismissive about what I said. She's the best going forward, but she's certain no Miki, let alone Midori, when it comes to jumping ability. Read my posts again, I didn't say I would put the other girls in front of her, right? I'm just afraid the US judges will. Why are you so defensive? Goodness.

I don't think mskater93 is being defensive. She is just responding to your claim using the protocol sheets.

I certainly don't agree with over-hyping a skater, but you do come off a bit dismissive of what she brings to the table.

Come on, Gracie only has adequate jumps? You made a big deal about how small her 2A was, when in fact the judges scored hers as the fourth best of the night, just a touch behind Kanako's.

And from where I sit she had great ice coverage on her 3F-3T. I hardly call the combo average.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The combo was clearly not average.

It was the highest scored element in this competition. Much better than average. Epic? maybe not.

Gold: 3F3T Base 9.4 GOE 0.9 score 10.3
Kostner: 3t3t Base 8.2 GOE 1.6, score 9.8
Murakami: 3t3t Base 8.2 GOE 1.3 Score 9.5
Suzuki: 3t3t Base 8.2 GOE 1.0, Score 9.2
Wagner: 3F3t Base 9.4 GOE -0.3 score 9.1
Silete: 3t3t Base 8.2 GOE 0.3 score 8.5
Sotnikova 3t3t< base 7.0 goe -0.4 score 6.6

Kudos to LaCoste for trying 3lo3lo which has a higher base value than 3f3t, but it was so underrotated that she only scored 5.4 with it.

So, Gracie competed with the top 5 girls at Worlds here (Kostner, Suzuki, Murakami, Wagner and Leonova) and she had a better combo than all of them.

Referring back to Worlds SP, there was exactly one higher scoring combo, Elene Gedevanishvili who did a 3lz3t for 11.10. At Junior Worlds, no competitor got a higher score on an SP combination.

So that's definitely better than average.

Good luck to her in the LP!.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I do agree with FlattFan that Gracie will need help from the ladies in front of her to win. Even with a fall Ashley is just a bit behind Gracie, and probably Alissa could make an error and score ahead of Gracie. I don't think she is going to run the table next year. But I do think she is going to be a solid #2, probably behind Ashley. Difficult jumps can make up for mediocre PCS (as we saw from Flatt in the past) but she might improve those next year, especially once she gives up that atrocious SP music.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't think mskater93 is being defensive. She is just responding to your claim using the protocol sheets.

I certainly don't agree with over-hyping a skater, but you do come off a bit dismissive of what she brings to the table.

Come on, Gracie only has adequate jumps? You made a big deal about how small her 2A was, when in fact the judges scored hers as the fourth best of the night, just a touch behind Kanako's.

And from where I sit she had great ice coverage on her 3F-3T. I hardly call the combo average.

Still don't see what the big deal is. I was just disputing the hype that she was the next Midori Ito in term of jumps. Her jumps are just adequate. They have no weakness, but they aren't spectacular. You can look at Miki lutz or Yuna lutz and compare that to Gracie lutz and see there are a huge difference. And these two girls aren't in the same level as Midori.

Is the state of figure skating so terrible now that you have to inflate "adequate" to "spectacular"?

I saw her doing 2A along with several junior girls and her 2A was maybe 3rd best in that group. It wasn't good. So the talk about 3A is pure "hype"

Her air position on that combo wasn't good. Ride out wasn't good. It was an adequate combo.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I do agree with FlattFan that Gracie will need help from the ladies in front of her to win. Even with a fall Ashley is just a bit behind Gracie, and probably Alissa could make an error and score ahead of Gracie. I don't think she is going to run the table next year. But I do think she is going to be a solid #2, probably behind Ashley. Difficult jumps can make up for mediocre PCS (as we saw from Flatt in the past) but she might improve those next year, especially once she gives up that atrocious SP music.

I think it's pretty much established that Gracie needs to improve in presentation. As mskater93 said, it's not realistic to overhaul of artistry with weeks between JW and WTT.

She does have decent skating skills/speed and transitions. The mark she will need to work on is the IN/CH/PE mark.

Still 59/60 is a decent score, which what she's received all season long. That would have put her in the final group if she would have received the same score at Worlds.

I have never been in the mindset that she needed to burn a hole in the world, but to show steady progress over the next few years.