Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold will go senior in 2012-2013

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    have you seen the youtube video of her 3A in the pole harness? it's HUGE and her coach doesn't pull much.

but anyways, i have to disagree with your statement about her jumps. i watched her at 2011 mids and her jumps were quite impressive. i'm not saying the QUALITY is up there with some of the senior skaters, but her jumps were very big.
    yes, saw it. Looked ok. But Sasha also did a 4S in a similar fashion. Until she's done it in competition, it doesn't mean anything. Her 2A is too small for her to pull off a 3A. In practice, she can jump 10 ft tall but in competition, her jumps were smaller.

Custom Title
    Sasha isn't even close to Gracie when it comes to jumps. Sasha's jumps were small and she always struggled with them.

Custom Title
    Who will choreograph Gracie’s new programs? Scott Brown? I don’t think Scott is a very good choreographer. Yes, I’d like to see Julie Marcotte choreograph for Gracie.

Gracie also looked REALLY nervous at the start of her program and only loosened up after the jumps were over. This IS her first Senior event and she's skating against someone she admires greatly (CaroK) and wants to hold her own in that regard.

I pulled the EXACT scores she received from Nationals because the implication was she basically received no/crappy GOE for her jumps which I didn't see. To me, like Mrs. P, "adequate" implies 0 GOE. "Spectacular" implies +3 GOE. I never said spectacular, I have always said GOOD, SOLID, and BIG; jumps first, then rotates, which are good descriptions of her jumps. Big is different than huge/Midori like and so on.

If I were a betting woman (which I am not), I would bet her programs improve greatly in terms of TR, IN, PE, and CH in the next year. As stated by me and others, this was her year to make a splash with her jumping consistency and big+difficult combinations and speed across the ice. She was skating as a JUNIOR this season and Juniors are typically immature with regard to how they cover the ice and present a program.

Just last week, I saw a lesson with Scott Brown and her and he was already really pushing the current (Senior version) LP in terms of PE. He knows the weakness.

PS Doctor2014, yes, Scott will choreograph the new programs.

Custom Title
    I would hope now that Gracie is hitting the big time she go to some of the top choreographer's because she needs to elevate her skating and a mediocre choreographer won't cut it.

I really LIKED the programs he did for Cain and Cain/Reagan. They were interesting and different and once Cain got comfortable with the programs, I thought she really sold them.

Just because someone's a top choreographer doesn't make them a good fit for a skater, BTW. I think about Lori N's programs this past season for Nagasu which were awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I really LIKED the programs he did for Cain and Cain/Reagan. They were interesting and different and once Cain got comfortable with the programs, I thought she really sold them.

Just because someone's a top choreographer doesn't make them a good fit for a skater, BTW. I think about Lori N's programs this past season for Nagasu which were awful.
    And last year he was nominated for a national choreographer award.

2011 Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year Award

Given to the choreographer that best exemplifies the dedication to artistic excellence portrayed by Paul McGrath in his career.

Josh Babb
    Scott Brown
    Lori Nichol
    Cindy Stuart
    Marina Zoueva
    Marina Zoueva and Igor Shpilband
    So clearly within in the skating world he isn't a "no-name" or mediocre. He just doesn't have the name recognition of Nichol, Zoueva and Wilson.

I loved Ashley Cain's programs too! She did a great job selling them at Nationals.

I know a lot of people did not like Gracie's SP music, but personally I thought it was better for her, given her level of artistry skill for her to skate to something like that rather than try to skate to some mature piece of music that's too big for her.

Custom Title
    True it's up to the skater to bring the choreography to life. Mirai skated like a zombie this year i don't think it mattered what Lori gave her. How well Gracie takes to her new programs time will only tell. But i am impressed by how levelheaded this girl seems to be. I bet she is watching Carolina and Akiko and seeing how they move on the ice and express themselves. It seems like when she needs to do something she will keep doing it until she gets it right.

Custom Title
    Thanks mskater93 and Mrs. P, very useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Yeah, this is true. Some of Nichol’s programs were quite boring. I didn’t know much about Scott as a choreographer. I hope he will make two good programs for Gracie next season.

Upon further thought, even if the quality of the jumps are just good for now, what is spectacular is the consistency she has done both 3-3s this season. There are few lady skaters who can say they have done not just one, but TWO different 3-3 in just about every competition this year. And not only that none of them have had edge calls or UR.

Custom Title
    Is that spectacular or just very consistent?

Custom Title
    Well with the skaters today and their inconsistency i would say it's almost spectacular. Hopefully she can keep it up since now she will be asked to do even more with her skating since she's a Senior now.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Is that spectacular or just very consistent?
    Maybe spectacular isn't the right word...

That said, it is very consistent. It's also noteworthy, if not an outstanding achievement. We're not talking about someone who has done two 3-3 combination in one competition. We're talking about someone that has hit BOTH combinations consistently pretty much the entire season. As far as I can see she has been 5/5 for the 3F-3T and 4/4 in the 3Z-3T (hopefully 5/5 after tomorrow) for both in her national and international competitions (JGP Estonia, Midwestern Sections, Nationals, JW and SP at WTT).

My point is, is yes she has stuff to work on, but let's give credit where credit is due.

Down With It
    Bah, all this won't matter next season.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Bah, all this won't matter next season.
    I get your MO is not to hype skaters too much and all, but can't people appreciate her achievements? Well, I will. And Gracie seems like such a good sport -- she clearly respects the veteran skaters like CaroK and Daisuke and it's been fun to see her enjoying the competition.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast