Gracie Gold will go senior in 2012-2013 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold will go senior in 2012-2013

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think her best option would be to do 3lz-3t in her SP and FS, then move the 2a-3t into the second half of her FS along with a 3-jump combo and the second 3lz. That would be a great competitive layout - 7 triples (2 lutzes), 2 double axels, 2 combos (a big money one and a 3-jump one) in the bonus section. Especially where she got that weird edge call on her flip here, the 3lz-3t combo is probably a safer bet.

A FS layout like this:

3lz-3t
3lo
2a
x 2a-3t
x 3lz
x 3f
x 3s-2t-2lo

Would be very competitive, if she can handle doing a 3lz and 3f in the 2nd half along with 2 combos and doing the 3-jump combo with a triple jump to open (I put salchow b/c loop seems to give her trouble and she doesn't want to risk losing points on a big combo by doing it with the 3f) to maximize points. And a 3-4 layout would be very competitive. Again this is theoretical but I think a layout like this would be a better idea than trying two 3-3s, one with a 3lo, if she is not comfortable with it. This layout is something well within her skill level but the construction of it would make it easily one of the most difficult programs being attempted, with a high BV, and this way she can do 3lz-3t and her 2a-3t without trying a 3-3lo combo.

louisa05

Final Flight
1) I think she could still fill out. Many girls do between 16 and 18. Looking the same across 15-16 doesn't mean much. Trust me. I taught kids that age for years. Gracie has no hips whatsoever. They could show up and throw her jumps off. As many have pointed out, we have seen that weight gain, coming of the curves occur with several skaters in that age range including Flatt, Nagasu and Meissner.

2) There is work to be done on her artistry. Watching her and Wagner back-to-back on the World Team feed, the difference in presentation and performance quality between her and Ashley was huge. Not that she should be expected to be at the same level as a senior national champ with several years experience on that level, but if she is so good that the internet is crowning her the 2013 national champ and a 2014 Oly. medalist...she has a ways to go to get to that level. Nats is only nine months away. I was a bit surprised, given all the hype, to see pointed elbows and hyper-extended arms and shoulders in particular. Those two things really need fixed.( I know a ballet teacher who would fix it in a week. But the travel would be a bit of a distance, LOL.) An easier fix is the bad music and choreo. Hopefully, as she moves to senior, USFSA will be giving more input and that will be improved.

3) I don't see a 3A happening. I swear I read somewhere that she said herself she is nowhere near doing it without a harness. And does she really need an additional combo? I'm asking seriously. I never can keep track of rules on combos.

4) USFSA needs to proceed carefully. As some have pointed out, we've seen girls come up with all the hype of the next big thing and do well for awhile, then the pressure begins to show. They need to promote more than one girl right now. Given the national title being completely up for grabs (no repeat champion since Kwan seven years ago!), throwing all the PR machine into one athlete seems silly. Promoting several girls including Gold and Wagner would help ease the pressure and up the chance that their newest face of skating can actually win the title.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gracie doesn't have any hips but she does have a chest so maybe she has more of a typical "gymnast build" and won't get hips? That doesn't mean she won't continue to fill out, just pointing out that it could be something to do with her build, fuller through the shoulders and chest but narrower through the hips. Idk. The build she has currently likely helps her get such great height on her jumps because she does have a higher center of gravity compared to some other skaters.

macy

Record Breaker
if gracie does fill out more, i think she will be able to get through it mentally and with her jumps. she went and got help before when she went through the first growth spurt and got her confidence back so she most likely knows how to figure her jumps out if they give her trouble and where to go if she needs help psychologically.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
One thing Gracie can work on in her existing jump arsenal is her 3Lo. She's been flunking that jump more often than not in the last bunch of competitions. It's costing her quite a bit in points. I'm not sure if she's ready for putting the 3l on the end of a combo yet, or if training for that throws off the timing for her solo 3l.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm not sure whether training the 3A isn't doing damage to her 2A either.

That's youngsters for you.

Work in progress.

I continue to remind everyone that Irina Slutskaya and Victoria Volchkova, two of the best natural jumpers, had both curves and beautiful springy jumps. Feel free to add your own examples to this list.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, Gracie doesn't need the 3A anyway, as long as she can do those huge 3/3s.

For ladies, 3A's a gimmick jump that very few have managed to do consistently in performance. Usually, it's been the smaller ladies that have been successful with it, such as Midori Ito and Tonya Harding (when she was slim). Mao Asada was able to do 3A when she was 14-15 and less than 90 lbs, but once she grew taller and started to fill out, she wasn't getting her 3A ratified any more.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Ratification was very inconsistent. 2011 4CC saw one of Maos best 3A's ever. But I do not think I will see Tuktamisheva or Gold ever do a 3A in competition.

macy

Record Breaker
One thing Gracie can work on in her existing jump arsenal is her 3Lo. She's been flunking that jump more often than not in the last bunch of competitions. It's costing her quite a bit in points. I'm not sure if she's ready for putting the 3l on the end of a combo yet, or if training for that throws off the timing for her solo 3l.

she can do it on the end of a 3+3+3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrnyABvzdiM

Trewyn

Medalist
4.) USFSA support — just throwing this one in there — With a solid placement at WTT, it will be interesting to see what kind of USFSA buzz/support she will receive. She should be in the Team B level of support for funding due to her silver medal at Jr. Worlds. She previously received NO funding until she was selected to compete for JGP, so this will be a great boost of funding for her.

She was in Team C for the USA this season. Does that mean she got no funding? Do only teams A and B receive funding? (I'm curious.)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
4.) USFSA support — just throwing this one in there — With a solid placement at WTT, it will be interesting to see what kind of USFSA buzz/support she will receive. She should be in the Team B level of support for funding due to her silver medal at Jr. Worlds. She previously received NO funding until she was selected to compete for JGP, so this will be a great boost of funding for her.
Gracie Gold was added to the Reserve team envelope (no funding) when she was assigned to the JGP in Estonia this past fall and then was moved into the Team C envelope AFTER she won a medal (gold) in her international debut. So she received partial Team C funding for this season.
She was in Team C for the USA this season. Does that mean she got no funding? Do only teams A and B receive funding? (I'm curious.)
Team envelopes A-C receive funding. Gold has qualified for the Team B envelope for 2012-13 due to winning the U.S. junior title and winning the silver medal at Junior Worlds.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope with her performance at the WTT she gets two GP events. Time to invest in the future.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gold should definitely get SA host pick. I think Wagner & Zhang have earned consideration as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie Gold was added to the Reserve team envelope (no funding) when she was assigned to the JGP in Estonia this past fall and then was moved into the Team C envelope AFTER she won a medal (gold) in her international debut. So she received partial Team C funding for this season.

Team envelopes A-C receive funding. Gold has qualified for the Team B envelope for 2012-13 due to winning the U.S. junior title and winning the silver medal at Junior Worlds.

Thanks for the correction, Sylvia. But still the funding she will get should be a nice boost.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie should get one invite for her JW silver medal. If she doesn't get a second event, then USFS should save a TBA at SA for Gracie.