Thread: Battle of the Blades Felled by Budget Cuts

Rogue Leader

Battle of the Blades Felled by Budget Cuts

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'd heard rumors. I'm sorry to hear they are true.

BTTB was my absolute favourite show, particularly Season 2 which was totally awesome!

However, I'm actually not that depressed about this. It seemed to me that in season 3 they were having a harder time getting top skaters to participate (although, how could they top Shae & Patrice and Katia & Val from Season 2? ). Season 3 was really for me. Maybe if they take a year or two off the skaters will be willing to give it another go, and after Sochi there may be some fresh skaters available and more interest. It is unfortunate that the many charitable organizations won't benefit from the money awarded to each week's winners.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Battle of the Blades Goes Bye Bye...

Sad to learn that the CBC is cutting the Battle of the Blades show indefinitely. Usually that means for good. The CBC cut quite a few shows from its roster this season. Too bad the Battle of the Blades is one of them even though it had good ratings and people are tuning in. Darn...

Custom Title
    I'm so sorry to hear this! I just loved watching it on YouTube. As you say, maybe it can be revived after Sochi. What wonderful quality this show had, especially compared to the two crass attempts we've had in the States. Katia's James Bond duet with Val Bure is one of the skating routines I watch periodically when I want to see something beautiful and inspiring.

Custom Title
    No joannnie yet??

So sorry to hear this!

Custom Title
    That's kind of a bad plan. They did just get their budget slashed again but it's one of their biggest shows. There's a lot of unwatched, more expensive scripted content they could easily toss out first.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    It's got nothing to do with the skaters. The CBC is run by the Canadian Government, I guess our Government deemed "Battle of the Blades" too expensive for their budget. There is a "Battle of the CBC" going on right now, so does not surprise me.

Here is info on the CBC:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...ng_Corporation

Tripping on the Podium
    No!!!! Although I'm not surprised with all the cuts.