Thread: Gary Beacom - A Skating Genius

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Gary Beacom - A Skating Genius

Probably one of Canada's most controversial skaters was Gary Beacom. He drove the judges and the Canadian Figure Skating Association (Skate Canada) crazy! Yet, this guy was a genious on ice. This is one of my favorite programs Gary did later in a pro competition:

It's skated to "I'm Your Man" by Leonard Cohen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjHpnsI9Xh8&feature=fvsr

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuPwy...eature=related

I have to add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJLl...89RVAAAAAAAAAA
    Last edited by Ladskater; 04-20-2012 at 12:30 AM.

On the Ice
    This is brilliant:

http://youtu.be/-iJLlBn8-pE

Oops...I added the same routine! It is brilliant. How he does those moves is beyond me. Gary reinvents as he skates.

Custom Title
    My absolute fave! He also did an interesting one to I Think I'm Losin' My Marbles (Mendelson Joe) with his former partner Gia Gudat(sp) but it wasn't on youtube last I looked.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Oops...I added the same routine! It is brilliant. How he does those moves is beyond me. Gary reinvents as he skates.
    Sorry this is the one I meant as my absolute fave.

Rinkside
    He is probably my favorite skater from those times. The best twizzles I've ever seen. Is that true that he tought skating himself, without coach? And never had any serious injuries during his career?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tempika View Post
    He is probably my favorite skater from those times. The best twizzles I've ever seen. Is that true that he tought skating himself, without coach? And never had any serious injuries during his career?
    No, he almost always had coaches but he changed coaches often. I can well imagine he was very frustrating as a student. Beacom has always marched to his own drummer.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    No, he almost always had coaches but he changed coaches often. I can well imagine he was very frustrating as a student. Beacom has always marched to his own drummer.
    Towards the end of his career, he coached himself while getting a degree in physics from the University of Toronto (which, I understand, is like the Harvard of Canada!)!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Towards the end of his career, he coached himself while getting a degree in physics from the University of Toronto (which, I understand, is like the Harvard of Canada!)!
    Not even close. U of T is the top ranked Canadian University but it's 23rd in the World. Harvard is #2.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I'm not saying it's ranked as high as Harvard in the world. I'm saying that it's like the Harvard equivalent. Besides, 23rd isn't anything to sneeze at.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    tempika, welcome to Golden Skate! Post long and often.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Beacom has always marched to his own drummer.
    This is soooo true. But he was/is and incredible spinner. I remember watching him actually gain speed in a spin and it ws as if he would just spin forever and ever. VERY interesting guy though.

Yes, Gary was his own coach for many years as he likely did not get along with being coached. He definitely "marched to his own drum." I think he loves skating for skating's sake and it shows when he performs. What Gary does on the blade is unique.

On the Ice
    His use and command of edges is second to none. I heard or read that he has many different pairs of skates, some with almost no support in order to use edges in new and innovative ways.