WTT Pairs SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

WTT Pairs SP

gmyers

Record Breaker
Why should they? Even if they can't go to the Olympics, T/T are basically guaranteed literally every plum international assignment they can get by virtue of being literally Japan's only elite pairs team. Also, I'm sure the JSF with all its money can comfortably fund them much more than the majority of other federations. If T/T go to Canada, they'll have to duke it out with D/R (who have beaten them before), M-T/M, D/W....a bad day at Nationals can cost T/T a spot on the World team and other international assignments.

Maybe Azerbaijian will have them? But the Azerbaijani skating fed will probably forget to fill in the proper paperwork on time and it'll all be for naught in the end....

Well you basically say that Japan can fund the team so it's not really a financial question. Obviously for other people they would need to goal of Olympics to raise money for the team. The Japanese federation is just like using these skaters "Look we have a pairs team!" but they can't reach the top - can't even go to compete at the top - which is the Olympics. She doesn't want to give up her Japanese citizenship for figure skating and he can't get Japanese citizenship. I think she could try to get a Japanese partner of her talent.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well you basically say that Japan can fund the team so it's not really a financial question. Obviously for other people they would need to goal of Olympics to raise money for the team. The Japanese federation is just like using these skaters "Look we have a pairs team!" but they can't reach the top - can't even go to compete at the top - which is the Olympics. She doesn't want to give up her Japanese citizenship for figure skating and he can't get Japanese citizenship. I think she could try to get a Japanese partner of her talent.

Err, they can participate at W, 4cc, GP. All is well. They will continue to spoil the podium prediction from time to time. So what if their goal don't line up with everyone else's.

Nena

Rinkside
The Olympics is just one competition. They can still win World medals. I hope Takahashi/Tran stay with Japan. Besides, wouldn't they have to sit out one season if they switch countries?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If T/T start dating, can boy T get Japanese citizenship through marriage? Amelie wouldn't be too happy, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
...but they can't reach the top - can't even go to compete at the top - which is the Olympics...

Well, that's your opinion. I've never thought "the top" was the Olympics. That's just a once-every-four-years rumble. For me, Worlds is the premier plum. Their best career shot is sticking with representing Japan, foregoing one competition in 2014 (maybe one more in 2018) isn't all that big a deal to me, assuming it isn't to them (which so far seems to be the case).

gold12345

Medalist
Bazarova/Larionov don't usually jump that out of sync... I expect better in the LP. Their PCS are high because they really do have some of those gorgeous Russian pair qualities. I wish they would emote more, but it almost seems like they are shy or something. Hopefully they will try to address it.

I'm sure the Olympics are very important for Takahashi/Tran, but there is really nothing you can do about major citizenship issues. What a shame, for them and for Japan, especially with the introduction of the team event. Japan will go from being a huge favorite for a team gold medal to not even being able to field a team at all. :scowl:

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Bazarova/Larionov don't usually jump that out of sync... I expect better in the LP. Their PCS are high because they really do have some of those gorgeous Russian pair qualities. I wish they would emote more, but it almost seems like they are shy or something. Hopefully they will try to address it.

I'm sure the Olympics are very important for Takahashi/Tran, but there is really nothing you can do about major citizenship issues. What a shame, for them and for Japan, especially with the introduction of the team event. Japan will go from being a huge favorite for a team gold medal to not even being able to field a team at all. :scowl:

I think if T/T win the pairs competition here, and if Japan maintains its lead overall, people may start pushing for Mervin Tran to get citizenship.

Nena

Rinkside
I think if T/T win the pairs competition here, and if Japan maintains its lead overall, people may start pushing for Mervin Tran to get citizenship.

It is not possible for Tran to get Japanese citizenship in time for Sochi.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Even if she marries him?

Most countries don't give automatic citizenship through marriage. In the U.S., it makes you eligible for a permanent residency (i.e. green) card. It makes the path toward citizenship easier, but not necessarily faster.

I'm sure it's similar in Japan.

I'd say that their best chance is to make some sort of appeal to the government and see if they will bite. And that is if Tran wants to have dual citizenship or give up his Canadian one. Actually, has he even been quoted about the citizenship thing? What is his stance?

redwing

Rinkside
To be even considered for naturalization, you need to live in Japan for at least 5 yrs and be in good standing with the government. Realistically it's around 10 years. It's my understanding Tran lives and trains in Canada so noone is going to give him a free pass.

You also need a very good reason why you wish to abandon your citizenship and acquire a Japanese one. Don't know if representing Japan at the Winter Olympics will be good enough.

Marriage is a different matter but as other people said, it's not instant citizenship. Doubt they are going to marry just for a chance for a gold medal if they don't love each other.

Most recent citizenship granted was to an 89 yr old British scholar who has lived in Japan for 38 years... so yeah...good luck with that.

chloepoco

Medalist

samba

On the Ice
To be even considered for naturalization, you need to live in Japan for at least 5 yrs and be in good standing with the government. Realistically it's around 10 years. It's my understanding Tran lives and trains in Canada so noone is going to give him a free pass.

You also need a very good reason why you wish to abandon your citizenship and acquire a Japanese one. Don't know if representing Japan at the Winter Olympics will be good enough.

Marriage is a different matter but as other people said, it's not instant citizenship. Doubt they are going to marry just for a chance for a gold medal if they don't love each other.

Most recent citizenship granted was to an 89 yr old British scholar who has lived in Japan for 38 years... so yeah...good luck with that.

Maybe the Emperor can grant a special treatment :laugh:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Maybe Takahashi can skate for Canada.

For Narumi to represent and skate for Canada at the Olympics, it simply means she has to give up her Japanese citizenship because Japan does not allow 'duel citizenships'.

Yuko did that years ago. Even for Yuko, who seemed to have a decent chance on the podium at Vancouver as the Russia's No.1 pair team, she needed certain time to consider and weigh it with her family: whether it would have been worthy to give up her Japanese citizenship for the opportunity to compete at the Olympics.
I feel a small pain in my heart everytime I see her name as Yuko 'Kavaguchi', instead of her original family name 'Kawaguchi', to reflect more in Russian pronunciation. She sacrificed so much just to compete at the Olympics: her Japanese passport, her family name, learning Russian language, adjusting her way of living and/or sense of values to be more Russian way.

I would think it must be a bit easier for Mervin to get Japanese citizenship, if only both Mervin and JSF will go all for it and plead the government for a special treatment to relax (=lower) its requirements in his case.

I remember Rugby National team had 10 players who were originally non Japanese to compete for the Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand, and five of them were registered as the naturalized Japanese citizens.
Other example I can think of is Sumo. We have many Sumo wrestlers who were originally born in Mongolia, and are now officially naturalized Japanese. I do not believe all of these rugby players and sumo wrestlers actually filled in all the requirements, such as to speak perfect Japanese and/or write decent Japanese. With the strong back-up by its federation, there must be some exceptions applicable for a sport, maybe?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry for the dealy to report on Pairs short program...

2nd day on WTT kicked off with Pairs short on Friday afternoon. The Arena section appeared full house, 90% full on the lower deck and half-empty on the upper deck, same as the day before.

I was particularly looking forward to see Stefania/Ondrej live for the first time, and loved their performance!
This team may not be strong technically, but I fell in love with them last season for their programs; Piazzolla's tango Four Seasons and Romeo & Juliet.

Loved Caydee and John, too. They looked elegant ad lovely together with that beautiful music, East of Eden. Especially Caydee looked a new skater to me; she now skates very differently from her days when she skated with Barrett, does not she?

But my vote for MVP goes to Narumi and Mervin.

They were best among the six teams in interpreting the music and great in synic and unison, in spite of the minor error on SBS jump.
Vera and Yuri in general was the strongest technically, maybe. Vera had good posture and lines, but they did not fully interpret the music. They went for element after element. And to me, who saw them from the upper deck, they appeared like two single skaters, skating the same choreography side by side. Not perfect in unison or relating each other.

Honorary mention by deedee: Meagan and Eric was the FASTEST among the six.

But the audience, including myself, were a bit surprised to find out they actually beat a clean Caydee/John in TES with 2 falls.