WTT Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

WTT Free Dance

Trewyn

Medalist
Wow. I expected a lot worse, a really ****** attitude from Scott, based on all the posts calling for his head but seeing the video the reality is very different. Lots of drama over nothing :laugh:

I understand that it was said in a moment of exhaustion and frustration. But fact remains he should not have said. Japan has put a lot of effort into this competition, not only financially. The crowd is bigger than at Worlds! It's also in part a team event, wanting to exude positivity and team spirit. What he said went against all of that. I personally don't think it's 'Lots of drama over nothing'. I would be willing to give Scott al the benefit of the doubt if this had been the first time he'd acted (seemingly at least) as a sore loser.

Anyway; I hope Scott gets himself a nice holiday to recover from this long season, he deserves it. Team Voir has done really well!

heyhey

On the Ice
At GPF he sounded angry, here he sounded tired.

But yes, next seasons FD choice is crucial. Funny Face was a very hard sell which is a credit to them because they shone in Nice. But on another note FANTASTIC camera work there for the FD, really highlights their movement, flow and smoothness. Would be nice to hire this person to do other competitions.

Well - it has been a long season both physically and psychologically for V/M both in terms of the SD being altered throughout the season and then their FD was a harder sell. I am glad that they had solid performances at WTT. After the SOI tour, they will regroup and hopefully look back and see that it was a success. For next year, I have to agree with IP that they need to concentrate on getting the levels with the Polka..then everything else will fall into place...at least Scott is not the only one who has indicated that he is not a fan of the Yankee Polka...Fabien Bourzat at the post-FD conference at Worlds was even more blunt, LOL....

all that

Final Flight
Which is probably fair. It's been their longest season ever - starting way back at Finlandia, ending at the WTT. And remember, that the off season was shorter due to the postponed worlds.

They were the ones who wanted to do 8 or 9 competitions.

Japan has put a lot of effort into this competition, not only financially. The crowd is bigger than at Worlds! It's also in part a team event, wanting to exude positivity and team spirit.

Good point! Thanks, Japan, for putting on such a delightful ending to the skating season. I didn't realize there was a bigger audience than at Worlds. That's pretty amazing.

heyhey

On the Ice

Well yes V/M had a full schedule - but I don't think they were totally unreasonable. They decided to do 2 GP events rather than the 3 - whereas WP did three and PB were scheduled to do 3. Finlandia for them was a smart decision in terms of getting feedback and it was a such a low key event.
As a side note also i think it must be mentally tiring for Scott to have to deal with Tessa's chronic condition in terms of when you push, how hard etc...so they are constantly adjusting....will be a quiet place here over the next 2-3 months....withdrawal here we come....

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Wow. I expected a lot worse, a really ****** attitude from Scott, based on all the posts calling for his head but seeing the video the reality is very different. Lots of drama over nothing :laugh:
Agree. His real drama is the way he lifts Tessa- with the face expression as if he lifts the heaviest stuff in the gym, then he just puts it on the ice, the blade hits the ice with some ugly sound. That wasn't good at all. Meryl&Charlie delivered probably one of their best performances in their career. The whole dance was one big generous fest for the honor of His Majesty Dance. Right on music, light, elegant, fast and beautifful. They got an ovation that they truly deserved and left me/us in a good spirit. :thumbsup:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yesterday's GS post-SD article noted that in contrast to Meryl, Charlie felt a lot of pressure -- and that being captain of Team USA could be the cause:
" “Maybe that’s where all the pressure comes from,” he said. “I am definitely trying to take a leadership role and do my best out there and set a trend for the rest of the U.S.” "

It is not hard to imagine that as captain of Team Canada, Scott also can't help feeling extra pressure/responsibility/frustration.

By all accounts, V/M and D/W always have loved representing their respective countries. To me, this charming photo that Meryl had tweeted before Vancouver says it all: http://lockerz.com/s/9714860

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
golden411, that is just the cutest of both Scott & Charlie.

I really think both V&M and D&W have to put more thought into their schedules.

D&W should not have done 4CC's at altitude so close to Nationals, so that Charlie was not able to go and acclimate to the altitude a few days ahead of time. Altitude seems to be particularly a problem due to his asthma.

And going to WTT did not leave Scott & Tessa, especially, time enough to rest up after peaking for Worlds, and then start training again.

All things considered, they should look at doing either 4CC's or WTT but not both. It's just too much given that in any competition they both attend, they have no margin for error.

I am sure it is both physically and mentally exhausting.

Yesterday's GS post-SD article noted that in contrast to Meryl, Charlie felt a lot of pressure -- and that being captain of Team USA could be the cause:
" “Maybe that’s where all the pressure comes from,” he said. “I am definitely trying to take a leadership role and do my best out there and set a trend for the rest of the U.S.” "

It is not hard to imagine that as captain of Team Canada, Scott also can't help feeling extra pressure/responsibility/frustration.

By all accounts, V/M and D/W always have loved representing their respective countries. To me, this charming photo that Meryl had tweeted before Vancouver says it all: http://lockerz.com/s/9714860

That picture is just wonderful!

One thing that we fans need to take into consideration is that D/W are basically carrying the American team right now, and V/M along with Chan are carrying Canada. It's a huge responsibility, and I'm sure it can be a strain at times. Add to that the fact that D/W and V/M are so close in achievement level to each other, and I imagine they all feel that they can't relax for a moment, or the other bunch will gain on them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Do they have a choice? Doesn't the ISU penelize skaters for not doing their beloved WTT?

FTnoona

Final Flight
Do they have a choice? Doesn't the ISU penelize skaters for not doing their beloved WTT?

Skaters that skip aren't allowed to do any shows and stuff like that for the time period after Worlds to after WTT takes place. It also says other sanctions can be served if applicable.

Last edited:

heyhey

On the Ice

I believe that in 2009 - there are quotes out there from skaters indicating that basically WTT is a mandatory event or else....This year has been a long year for a lot of teams and skaters and unfortunately skaters have a really short off season - so I don't blame them for fatique etc...

Doris - with regards to 4CC - I doubt that D/W had much choice in skipping the event due to it being held in the US....and I am not sure if when the next WTT is...has it been confirmed for next year since last year it was postponed?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
golden411, that is just the cutest of both Scott & Charlie.

I really think both V&M and D&W have to put more thought into their schedules.

D&W should not have done 4CC's at altitude so close to Nationals, so that Charlie was not able to go and acclimate to the altitude a few days ahead of time. Altitude seems to be particularly a problem due to his asthma.

And going to WTT did not leave Scott & Tessa, especially, time enough to rest up after peaking for Worlds, and then start training again.

All things considered, they should look at doing either 4CC's or WTT but not both. It's just too much given that in any competition they both attend, they have no margin for error.

I am sure it is both physically and mentally exhausting.

... This year has been a long year for a lot of teams and skaters and unfortunately skaters have a really short off season - so I don't blame them for fatique etc...

....I am not sure if when the next WTT is...has it been confirmed for next year since last year it was postponed?

Barely a week after the thrill of T/T's pairs bronze in Nice, Mervin Tran philosophized via Twitter, "If they say there's no rest for the wicked, then figure skating must be a nefarious sport; the reason why these past two seasons are so long."
He later elaborated, "Nothing bad has happened. Just having long seasons, but still going well." (T/T also competed at 4CC, etc.)
Seems that his good-natured comments probably could speak for plenty of other skaters too.

The coming season offers no rest for the wicked(;))/weary: The ISU has announced that the dates of the next WTT are April 11-14, 2013 ...

Last edited:

heyhey

On the Ice
Barely a week after the thrill of T/T's pairs bronze in Nice, Mervin Tran philosophized via Twitter, "If they say there's no rest for the wicked, then figure skating must be a nefarious sport; the reason why these past two seasons are so long."
He later elaborated, "Nothing bad has happened. Just having long seasons, but still going well." (T/T also competed at 4CC, etc.)
Seems that his good-natured comments probably could speak for plenty of other skaters too.

The coming season offers no rest for the wicked(;))/weary: The ISU has announced that the dates of the next WTT are April 11-14, 2013 ...

Well I guess it's great for the fans...more events....not so much for the skaters....perhaps we will see Weaver/Poje next year for Canada or even the Shibs next year for the US at WTT...because I can't see both D/W and V/M keeping up this pace....

ETA: I have met and seen Mervin Tran train here in Montreal and he is a great guy....

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Scott's wish of "Good luck" to Marina -- for D/W

Have finally looked at the on-demand video (after missing the livestream). For those who listened repeatedly to Scott in the K and C:

Am I the only one who heard him say, "Good luck," to Marina as she was departing the K and C? I presume that she was on her way to D/W for their FD, and that his words by extension were in support of D/W too.

I hope that my ears were not deceiving me. Yes, Scott takes every competition very seriously, but his instincts for good sportsmanship, friendship, and loyalty are strong too.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I hope that my ears were not deceiving me. Yes, Scott takes every competition very seriously, but his instincts for good sportsmanship, friendship, and loyalty are strong too.

He may be very "candid" with what he feels, but Scott has always been a nice guy, especially to those he trains with.

This isn't like the old days of ice dance, when Oksana Baiul and Maia Usova had a brawl.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't it Oksana Gritschuk who had a brawl with Usova? Oksana G had an affair with Zhulin, who was married to (and skating with) Usova at the time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have finally looked at the on-demand video (after missing the livestream). For those who listened repeatedly to Scott in the K and C:

Am I the only one who heard him say, "Good luck," to Marina as she was departing the K and C? I presume that she was on her way to D/W for their FD, and that his words by extension were in support of D/W too.

Sorry, but after all the dramas with Scott's off-the-cuff remarks and sour facial expressions, I'm left with the impression that to Scott, winning is paramount, and "good sportsmanship, friendship, and loyalty" are little more than an afterthought.