WTT Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

WTT Free Dance

chloepoco

Medalist
I thought V/M were better here than at Worlds. Their scores was lower than I thought, I thought they would hit 110 at least. And....er, did Scott say what I thought he said in the kiss and cry? O_O

D/W were wonderful and clearly deserved to win the FD and overall. And they beat V/M by over 2 points on PCS!

Did he say he "hates this event"? If so, wow?! No wonder Team Canada has no team spirit!

icefan1005

Rinkside
I thought V/M were better here than at Worlds. Their scores was lower than I thought, I thought they would hit 110 at least. And....er, did Scott say what I thought he said in the kiss and cry? O_O

D/W were wonderful and clearly deserved to win the FD and overall. And they beat V/M by over 2 points on PCS!

I agree, V/M were less nervous tonight. I'm :confused: at their scores too, but D/W deserved to win overall. Scott also said that in the K&C! :laugh:

icefan1005

Rinkside
I only woke up in time for the last three teams, but I thought all three were great. If France doesn't get the team spirit award for their mummies and pyramid, there is no justice.

It was clear who the winner was and should have been. What a way to end a season for the luminous Die Fledermaus!

I think the winner for the WTT is clearly D/W, but imo V/M deserved being World Champions. D/W just peaked at the wrong event.

figuristka

Medalist
There was a noticable mistake but Charlie's twizzles seemed off at the end too. Should have been closer but I think D/W seemed to be more on fire. Still must be more difficult when you just won worlds. Wonder how Patrick will feel too. Daisuke will have more modivation i would think.

evangeline

Record Breaker
To be fair to Scott, I think he thought the camera (and audio) had panned to Meryl and Charlie at that point....he was just privately venting. It's understandable.

chloepoco

Medalist
To be fair to Scott, I think he thought the camera (and audio) had panned to Meryl and Charlie at that point....he was just privately venting. It's understandable.

If he feels like that, he should have at least declined the team captain role. It just seems he's bringing the entire team spirit down; this is a team event, after all.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Well, not all that private. He's becoming a serial Sorehead. Most unbecoming. Best when his feet are moving, not so charming when his mouth is moving.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a nice performance for Anna & Luca! I wonder whether having an enthusiastic team cheering section behind you in the KnC wouldn't be a good idea at all competitions! It seems to cut some of the tension.

I wonder whether Scott is not feeling well? he does not seem to be his usual self??? That was not their best performance. Even 2 of the lifts looked less smooth than usual. Watching Funny Face, there's one thing to be said about it..the Japanese audience can't figure out how to clap to it. It looks like if you are going to compete in Japan, that you should pick clapping music, because the audience seems to expect it :confused:

Congratulations to Meryl & Charlie! I'm sad to be saying good bye to Die Fledermaus. It was a gorgeous choice of an FD for them.

Protocols are up:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wtt2012/wtt2012_IceDance_FD_D_Scores.pdf

Meryl & Charlie

Level 4's on everything but the steps. I saw the check in the circular, not in the diagonal, but they haven't gotten the level 4 in the diagonal all year but once. This year they have been going for musicality & performance, and it shows in their PCS, but they haven't been the Meryl and Charlie of old competition faces on and getting every point out of the step sequences.

Base value 40
TES 52.87
PCS 58.31

They won the choreo, interp & timing, and performance categories with many, many 10's.

Tessa and Scott

All level 4's except for one of the step sequences, good for them. However, they skated rather carefully, and with a bit less than their usual precision.

Base 41.50
TES 51.92
PCS 55.91
TOTAL 107.83

Despite having the higher base value this time, they lost TES, because the execution wasn't as good as it usually is for them. And because tiny errors were systemic throughout the performance, their PCS suffered a bit, I thought. Not a single 10.00 from any judge, and the panel included a Canadian judge, which is telling. And there is a Canadian tech assistant on the tech panel too. *ETA there were 3 10.00's scattered around in Choreo, Perf & Interp (in different columns). I am too old to do commentary this late at night.

I&K really got hammered on levels here.

Level 1 on the spin, level 2 on the final footwork, and level 2 on that last lift that has been problematic all year for them.

It looks like Russia perhaps should have sent Bobrova & Soloviev?

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
I thought he said "hates this part" i.e. waiting for Meryl & Charlie to skate to see how they finished ?

I thought i was the only one that thought he said that too. I thought i must be wrong as everyone posted differently. Hopefully it was "part" but still love them anyway.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The problem with Russia's team is Bush and Kovtun. I/K are better dancers than they are singles skaters. B/S aren't that technically superior anyway! Maybe B/S would have done better but is it likely they would have been greater than 5th? Really doubtful so it's a wash. Bush and Kovtun was a big message of "Who Cares?" Don't want to come off as too negative against Bush and Kovtun but they are lesser than Italy's number 2 man! So they are just not at the level of really anyone else at the WTT. And Really no Russian dance team is comparable to 1 2 3 or 4.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scott was clearly upset when he saw V/M's score. I just wish he weren't so open with his attitudes. He just comes off as a swell-headed jerk.

This was a TEAM event. It's a GOOD thing to finish first OR second.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Scott was clearly upset when he saw V/M's score. I just wish he weren't so open with his attitudes. He just comes off as a swell-headed jerk.

Then he sounds just like 80% of the members on this forum whenever they are displeased with the results. :laugh: I also believe a swell-headed jerk invites his team mates to sit beside them in the K/C. What a douche he clearly is. :sarcasm:

icefan1005

Rinkside

People have the right to be displeased with something. Anyways, I thought he said he hated this "part".

wallylutz

Medalist

Really, athletes shouldn't be opened about how they feel re: scores? :unsure: Besides, it's not even what he said, it's how you think he feels that bothers you?

Well, after the disastrous Worlds, I guess finishing 2nd would indeed be GOOD considering the entire Team USA except 3 little girls disappeared after Adam Rippon's skate, it says a lot about the actual team spirit I think.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
V/M scored three tens. Not as many as D/W, of course. Glad that C/L scored so well.

I think next year we might see V/M skipping this competition.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
True. I am too old to stay up all night 2 nights in a row and see straight at the same time. There were 3 tens for Tessa and Scott and 17 for Meryl & Charlie.

Last edited: