Ladies Free | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free

gioccia

On the Ice
Well, the superinflation was not as much in the ladies fs as in ladies sp. I think the scores should have been lower there. Whether it's a new phenomenon or not with pcs, I think even if you discount skating skills and performance, the other categories should have been higher for Sotnikova. At this point it doesn't matter anymore. Just my personal opinion.

I also thing Adelina should have got higher scores in the SP. But I think they put her down to let room for Kanako in the free.

tampro1

Rinkside
Gracie is SIXTEEN. She won't turn 17 until mid-August. This was her first season of international competition, so it's unrealistic to expect a finished, polished skater with mind-blowing presentation.

Unless your name is Michelle, Tara and Oksana who were all world champions and had a fair bit of presentation skills at 15. Sasha Cohen was pretty polished too by that age. Gracie skates more like Nancy Kerrigan with more speed. She has very good technique but is a bit mechanical and tends to skate through the music. I'm hoping she's the real deal and not just a flavor of the month. We're all waiting for the next big thing after years of disappointment :disapp:

StellaCampo

On the Ice
Yes, it's very frustrating. Imai not only has UR issues but is also wildly inconsistent in the FS, worse than Kanako, her score regularly goes down into the 80s. Shoji was injured this season but she also has major UR issues. Even Miyahara has UR issues despite being so diminutive, surely as she grows it will only become worse. I really like the skating of Kanako, Haruka, and Risa but I'm afraid the URs will prevent them from really having an impact on the international stage (well, Kanako has already, but it could jeopardize her future). Seems like an unsettling trend for the young Japanese ladies skaters...
Isn't UR a problem for Miki and Mao as well? I seem to recall that that's the reason they gave up on 3x3. Is this correct? I also remember N. Morozov saying sometime ago that the Japanese ladies' field isn't that deep. If many of the up & coming ones also have UR issues, the prognosis isn't exactly bright. They'd have to rely on Akiko to carry on the good works and secure the 3 spots. Is this doable?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
DianaSelene said:
Whether it's a new phenomenon or not with pcs, I think even if you discount skating skills and performance, the other categories should have been higher for Sotnikova. At this point it doesn't matter anymore. Just my personal opinion.

Just wanted to agree here. Adelina struggled this season, but she has really good basic skating skills, speed, maturity and presence. As it is now, she should have been higher than Gracie in all categories, and in some I think even more than others.
I'm not saying Gracie was bad or anything. She didn't focus on the PCS for this season, which was the right thing to do, because the jumps come first. And I think she has a lot of potential to develop in this parts too - I'm excited to see what growth she will show till next season (and even if she's not going to be the 'next big thing', way too much expactations anyway).

An, and let's talk, it's nice to hear Adelina seems to be so beloved in japan already! Even before the SP, when her name was called I thought I heard people clapping louder for her than for the other skaters before, and I just went "huh? Am I mishearing that?". Hope that gives her confidence an additional boost!

About Kanako... I agree her jumping technic is pretty horrible. I just wish she might switch to another coach for that, because she has so many beautiful qualities to her skating. If she'd work on her posture and polish, she could get pretty high PCS too I think (if the judges would, that is), her artistc growth this season is amazing (especially compared to last season). The general potential is there, I think I can understand what the JSF sees in her... although I think their a bunch of morons in general, for keeping Akiko down all these years :disapp:
And about Ando - don't think saying she had UR problems in general is fair. Her jumps are huge, mostly nowhere near UR - just because of her 3x3... it was a 3-3Lo anyway, that's hardly the standard.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I looked at the protocol and I'm a bit surprised (unpleasantly) that Gracie Gold is SO near Adelina in PCS!***??(( I get it that technically she is stronger than Adel but in pcs...Oo
I don't get it..It seems that Sotnikova was held back=(

let`s talk

Match Penalty
It wasn't just one jump that is the problem. Even her 2A, she was so forward. Lost a lot of speed after any jump so her combo will always be problematic. ...

I honestly don't see her going anywhere with a bad team and bad technique.
Let me remind you that Adelina, except her butterflied 3L, was the only one there who got all +GOE for all elements. And no one else did.

so apparently the judges don't share your opinion.
Ouch. What a discovery. You should visit Men threads more often.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
About Kanako... I agree her jumping technic is pretty horrible. I just wish she might switch to another coach for that, because she has so many beautiful qualities to her skating. If she'd work on her posture and polish, she could get pretty high PCS too I think (if the judges would, that is), her artistc growth this season is amazing (especially compared to last season). The general potential is there, I think I can understand what the JSF sees in her... although I think their a bunch of morons in general, for keeping Akiko down all these years :disapp:
And about Ando - don't think saying she had UR problems in general is fair. Her jumps are huge, mostly nowhere near UR - just because of her 3x3... it was a 3-3Lo anyway, that's hardly the standard.

Thank you for your comment on U/R or otherwise regarding Miki.

Re kanako's jumps, postures etc, yes, she, like Mao, has potential, but with both ladies is this a case of some bad habits not having been corrected earlier on? Mao's iffy jumps now seem to date back ages ago...
I don't know if it was the way they were taught in their early teens but there seems to be a pattern...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Unless your name is Michelle, Tara and Oksana who were all world champions and had a fair bit of presentation skills at 15. Sasha Cohen was pretty polished too by that age. Gracie skates more like Nancy Kerrigan with more speed. She has very good technique but is a bit mechanical and tends to skate through the music. I'm hoping she's the real deal and not just a flavor of the month. We're all waiting for the next big thing after years of disappointment :disapp:

Nobody claims that Gracie is at the level of Michelle, Tara or Oksana -- at least I don't.

But those three also started competing in international competition much earlier and even at the senior level nationally much earlier. Gracie has had one senior event.

I understand that people have a lot more expectations of her because of her technical skills, but at the same time I don't get why everyone is rushing Gracie to arrive so quickly. I say let her develop in her own time. Being a champion or world medalist doesn't mean arriving to the destination the quickest.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah to many times we see girls who don't have the jumps to go along with their presentation skills. Gracie wanted to get her jumps in order first which is how it should be.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I agree with you regarding the choreography and interpt but Gracie does have good skating skills. If you look at Gracie's feet, she has nice edges and great ice coverage, I don't think Adelina's is far superior in that regard. Also the judges scored her and Adelina close in PCS at junior worlds too, so it's not a new phenomenon by any means.

Maybe a year or two ago I would say Adelina should get higher PCS. Now, she looks uncomfortable every time out. She has better programs, so I would give her CH, IN. Her SS deteriorated. Look at the way she gained speed by doing a bunch of cross over with her butt sticking out, kinda like Bobrova. Her posture is no where near what it was. She got some rep points for being amazing in the junior rank. If you don't know who she was, she would not get the kind of benefit of the doubt she's getting now. I think she's overscored the entire season.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Maybe a year or two ago I would say Adelina should get higher PCS. Now, she looks uncomfortable every time out. She has better programs, so I would give her CH, IN. Her SS deteriorated. Look at the way she gained speed by doing a bunch of cross over with her butt sticking out, kinda like Bobrova. Her posture is no where near what it was. She got some rep points for being amazing in the junior rank. If you don't know who she was, she would not get the kind of benefit of the doubt she's getting now. I think she's overscored the entire season.

Really?In what place? So according to you she should be where exactly?10th place? Techically, yes, she has some troubles.but her pcs shouldn't be the same with skaters who has appeared for the 1st time at the senior comp

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, it's a little Utopian of me, but I would prefer the PCS for all of them to be based on the skating they put forth on a given day, not on whether they were great last year, or this was their first competition, or that they can do better, or whatever.

On the skating on the day. Nothing else.

Never happen, I know. At least in 55 years of fandom, I've never seen it happen.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Really?In what place? So according to you she should be where exactly?10th place? Techically, yes, she has some troubles.but her pcs shouldn't be the same with skaters who has appeared for the 1st time at the senior comp

For example, she shouldn't place above YS who was amazing in the SP. She was gifted big time there.
In the long program, she was uncomfortable the entire time. No, I don't think she deserved her PCS for that kind of skate. Why should her PCS be any higher than a newbie if she's not skating better? What is this nonsense?

gioccia

On the Ice
For example, she shouldn't place above YS who was amazing in the SP. She was gifted big time there.
In the long program, she was uncomfortable the entire time. No, I don't think she deserved her PCS for that kind of skate. Why should her PCS be any higher than a newbie if she's not skating better? What is this nonsense?

because Adelina's programs apart from elements are loaded with many other things in comparison with other skaters who go from one element to another.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
because Adelina's programs apart from elements are loaded with many other things in comparison with other skaters who go from one element to another.

Then bump up her TR and CH.
For IN, was she better? I don't think so.
For PE, was she better? I don't think so.

Again, don't group the entire PCS into just SS or CH. This is the reason why Patrick Chan who was behind the music for the most part and fell and still beat a flawless Dai in PCS because his SS was better. Is this where FS is heading?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ho hum in my opinion. Gracie showed some promise but not exactly drop jaw amazing. Adelina didn`t do as well as I hoped; I was hoping to see a break through. Poor Canada even the French ladies were stronger (not Quebec but France). Really Cynthia was just horrendous; she has gotten worse and I had so much hope with Orser. Canada was lucky to win bronze with their ladies. Really embarrassing. I know they are trying hard but really what is going on. Joannie should really come up with some routines planend for the olympics. Skate at nationals go t 4cc``s and then worlds`in 2013. She`ll place maybe 8th to 10th. Earn 2 ladies spots for Canada and then use the the same routiones which will barely ahve been seen for the Olympics. She can start with the flip or lutz, maybe work on a triple salchow triple toe combo and the loop and add the other more difficult triple lutz or flip in 2014. Work on some great programs and the spins and she will earn canada two spots because right now Canada looks very weak in ladies. Lacoste is so blah and Phaneuf has no guts and all nerves. Maybe Liz Manley wants to come out of retirement.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I mean her presentation,transitions,choreo is much more BETTER.that's all I want to say..When a junior her programs were not so good...

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry for the delay to drop my review on Ladies Free, but I want to finish it as my memo anyway...

<1>
The very last comp of WTT for my husband and me, and it did not disappoint us at all!

For Canadian ladies, I just hope they regain themselves and come back strong next season.
While Canada has the strongest champions like Tessa/Scott and Patrick with a couple of world's elite pair teams, they were a bit weak in ladies discipline this season...I really feel sorry for Amelie and Cynthia; I hope that skating fans in Canada do not scream, in chorus, for JoRo's come back for next Worlds in London, Canada...

I loved French ladies! Their unique styles, among the current ladies who tend to be soft, lyrical and/or ballerina-like skaters, stand out for me. I love their HUGE jumps. Both Mae Berenice and Yretha have a solid technique in jumps: Mae Berenice's Lutz is a text-book when landed cleanly, and that Yretha's spring into jumps! :love: I hope they will work on jump consistency next season, so that judges will notice their ability and uniqueness, and start rewarding them with higher PCS.

I felt so sorry for Yretha in her Free. She was the last to skate in the first group, and she on the big screen was clearly got nervous.
When she landed her first opening combo 2A+3T+2T perfectly, it kind of got to her, you know...She probably knew if she could stay in the top ten for the free, the team's bronze medal would go to France. That thought pressured herself too much, and as a result, every takeoff into the remaining jumps got unstable...It broke my heart to see her sad face after the free and her French teammates' faces when the score came up...

The audience loved both Meite and Marchei for their musicality; we all clapped and yayed a lot all the way through their fun routines!

Honorable mention in the first group by deedee: Alena Leonova!

(okay everyone, I have learned a new usage of English word 'honorable', instead of 'honorary' which I wrongly picked up from English vocabraries in my old brain for my previous posts, thanks to Serious Business and other members here at GS. :biggrin:)

Alena for me, at this particular competition, was a big surprise in a good way.
I did not care at all for the music and typical Nikolai-sh almost non-existent choreography :p, but Alena, especially in her free program, skates much faster with fewer crossovers, more fluent and does have a presence on the ice. Trust me, she is a much better skater live than on PC screen or even TV! :yes:
---------------------------------
(cont'd)

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
<2>

When the second group of the world's top ladies got onto the ice, the temperature in the arena got higher with audience's HUGE expectations knowing this one was the last comp of the whole WTT! :laugh:, thus partly feeling sad on the fact it was about to end very soon...:cry:

First to skate was Adelina.
So gutsy of her to come in 4th in the free, but I was a bit disappointed because she did not skate as big as her SP two days ago. She appeared 'rushed' into everything; jumps, spins, and choreographies...I rather blame it Tarasova for the music choice for her free; Liebestraum just does not suit her skating. I did much prefer Bolero as a program for Adelina.

Then came Ashley, the main dish of the day!

She ROCKED THE HOUSE! :rock: and BIG standing ovation!
I'd much prefer her Black Swan at US Nationals, but still a great skate. Congratulations for winning the free, Ashley!

Btw, I love her programs so much this season. The best two programs, SP+FP combined, along with Akiko's and Carolina's for me this season. Wish her the best for a podium finish at the next Worlds!

Next to skate was Gracie.

What surpised me the most was she did NOT appear hesitant AT ALL to skate, right after the audience went crazy upon her colleage's (=Ashley) great performance. She attacked everything and did her job done in a cool manner. Such a shame about the pop on her scond 2A.
I loved the 'delay' in the air on her toe jumps!

Let me assure you, all skating fans in the US, Gracie is the STAR in the making. :cool:

Then Kanako.

Sorry about her missing most of jumps. I kind of anticipated befoerhand, though... Prior to the Worlds in Nice, her team changed the strategy and moved her 3T+3T into the second half of her Free for bonus points, and it backfired her a big time at Nice and here...

I love her musicality and ability to sell a program.
OTOH, I really hope she will hire a jump coach this offseason to correct her weird jump technique, before it gets too late. She gets < and e marks in the free at every competitions and that worries me.

Sad to say but I have a small complaint on skaters in general developed under Big Mamma Machiko over the years; e.g. Yukari, Mao, Mai, Kanako, Shoma Uno, though they are all lovely skaters in their own ways, and I admire them for that.
Bad techniques, however, shall cost skaters in point-wise in the long run, and most of all, bad techniques may evantually lead them to potential injuries or retirements at younger ages, you know.

--------------------------
(cont'd)

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
<3>

Kanako's performance did not disappoint the audience, because of her adorable 'wrinkled up' face with half bitterness and half smile.:laugh: We applauded for her efforts warmly, along with her teammates, as if telling her; "Don't worry, Kanako. You are young, you will always have next time to prove yourself. (Besides, when it comes to so-called 'team events', we've seen the worse from Daisuke~~~ :p)."

Up next was Akiko.

Great musicality from Akiko as usual.
Thanks to Akiko, Meryl and Charlie, how many times have we got to see beautiful Die Fledermaus routines this season? :love: In spite of pops at the end, everyone was enjoyed every second of Die Fledermaus one last time, by clapping and yayed along the way, with much appreciation to these wonderful skaters and a farewell to such a wonderful program. :clap: I am sure Strauss himself was also clapping with us while being in his grave in Wien! (Part of me was a bit disappointed it wasn't the Olympic year for this program, though...)

Last to skate was Carolina, and 'rightfully so' I would say personally, not only Ladies Free but the WHOLE comp of WTT.

What a gorgeous skater she is. She is the music, isn't she?
Loved the opening 3L, just effortless as if it were a part of choreography. It was not her best, but I forgot it was actually a competition until that abrupt hard fall on 3T...how gutsy of her to then come back strong by hitting 3S+2T+2T at the end!

As I told you before, I have always have a soft spot for veteran skaters. Her come back story with so many ups and downs over the years, just like Akiko's, Daisuke's and Brian's!, to finally win the world title on her 10th appearance at the Worlds surely inspires and encourages all skaters in the world. How cannot we admire and respect these champions? :love: (Hope next year will be Akiko's turn...fingers crossed!)

On the way back home, my hubby was so bubbly and busy with his talking on the train, unlike the night before. (Didn't I tell you he got jealous of Daisuke and seldom spoke to me by the time we got home?)

Thanks to every federations and its skaters who got participated in the World Team Trophy this year, we could get to see a lot of champions and world medalists and enjoyed their lovely performances!

I would like to post my overall thoughts onthe WTT in the 'Review of Mens LP' thread when I have time, if you don't mind.
(<- to doris!, thank you so much for creating that thread for me and copied my posts there!)

Last edited: