Ladies Free | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free

Selene

On the Ice
I stayed up until almost 6 am to watch this. My impression was that the ladies competition was a hot mess. Not one lady impressed me technically. Wagner won the free skate by default. She wasn't that great - two double-footed jumps & a flutz. Gold disappointed me as well, missing her 3Lz-3T combo for the first time this season (I wasn't that surprised about the popped axel - she seems to mess that up a lot.) Her PCS was actually higher than her TES, which seems ironic given all the talk about her abilities as a skater. This competition didn't do much to change my impression that the ladies field is really weak right now.

sisinka

Final Flight
Lenonova did not give up, good for her!

I agree, Alena was very brave. She overcame herself today. Due to press, she fell ill a few days before the competition. She skated with fever, sore throat, she overall felt tired and weak. With this handicap she was able to land triples in the second half of her free skate, that’s admirable. I remember few skaters to skate with illness and no doubt that it is much harder to land any triple being sick.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I stayed up until almost 6 am to watch this. My impression was that the ladies competition was a hot mess. Not one lady impressed me technically. Wagner won the free skate by default. She wasn't that great - two double-footed jumps & a flutz. Gold disappointed me as well, missing her 3Lz-3T combo for the first time this season (I wasn't that surprised about the popped axel - she seems to mess that up a lot.) Her PCS was actually higher than her TES, which seems ironic given all the talk about her abilities as a skater. This competition didn't do much to change my impression that the ladies field is really weak right now.

For some of these skaters it was their 7th competition this year. Also it's hard to get up for this after Worlds which is what every skaters points too to peak at.

sisinka

Final Flight
For some of these skaters it was their 7th competition this year. Also it's hard to get up for this after Worlds which is what every skaters points too to peak at.

Or 8 competitions - Leonova took a part at: 3 GP, GPF, Russian Nats, Euros, Worlds, plus World Team Trophy (almost competive Test Skate in September with whole programs and Open Japan where she skate only free program).

Trewyn

Medalist
More than 8 for people like Carolina who also did 3 GPs and stuff like Challenge Cup.

Yeah, Ladies wasn't as exciting as men.

Trewyn

Medalist
How the heck did Canada get on the podium?

I know, right?!! It was France's spot all this time until after Yretha skated and they suddenly dropped to fourth. I guess it's not *that* much of a surprise; they do have the silver medalists in Dance and Men and Pairs.

evangeline

Record Breaker
LOL, the bouquets they're handing out during the medal ceremony are so cute, all pink and purple! But the fuzzy ones they had in 2009 were even cuter :)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well to be fair, it wasn't totally Silete fault the French pairs team helped as well by finishing dead last. lol

Trewyn

Medalist
Something about last place skaters getting medals doesn't seem right.

Was thinking the same thing. Ah well, that's the way it goes in a team event.

I've heard there's supposed to be individual medals (per event) as well, but maybe it's more like a small medal ceremony during press conference??

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think the US had the best all arounbd team no skater came close to last place. Men bombed though and Pairs isn't great.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Ah, so great to see a full house at a skating event for once, with such enthusiasm! Were there more people in the audience here at the WTT than at Worlds?

Also, LOL @ the fact that Team Japan appears to have adopted Daisuke's Blues final pose as their signature pose :D

christinaskater

Medalist
The Sochi event is going to be amazing. Hope Akiko stays to join that team :) and hopefully win gold

Russia is surely going to fight for that gold!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia will have to get a LOT better in Mens and Ice Dancing to have a shot. Japan won't have a Pairs team.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They have Plushenko who else do they need.

And I heard Japan can still compete with only 3 disiplines but with others competing in all 4 and with that dance team a medal is impossible.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Russia will have to get a LOT better in Mens and Ice Dancing to have a shot. Japan won't have a Pairs team.

Isn't Russia probably going to unleash Plushenko for Sochi? Even if Plushenko's knees won't hold up til then, I'm sure Gachinsky would have easily done better than Kovtun and Bush here.

I/K were pretty bad, but that's because they didn't train much after Worlds...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes and Gachinsky will have home field advantage just like worlds last year. If he skates well, he'll be up there with the best. Just look at Euros. So the Russian men are not going to be a problem.