Ladies Free | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Isn't Russia probably going to unleash Plushenko for Sochi? Even if Plushenko's knees won't hold up til then, I'm sure Gachinsky would have easily done better than Kovtun and Bush here.

I/K were pretty bad, but that's because they didn't train much after Worlds...

1 per discipline right ?
so can it be another team/individual from the actual individual event and for the TE ?

so it can be like V/M and W/P for TE
or S/Z and I/K for TE

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Akiko won!!!:love:
Yes, yes, yes, yes!! I looooooove this event now!:points:

Really hope she enjoys this to no end and takes that as a confidence boost for next season. The figure skating world needs her passion and joy on the ice, and I never get tired of seeing it.
Good for Carolina to keep the only (?) fall this season for an event like this. Her skating was still beautiful, but the season was long and that can happen.
Ashley on a podium again is good to see! I'm very curios what kind of prgramms she will skate next season - this FS was perfect for her, hope she can keep it up.
Sooooo glad for Adelina finishing 4th!!:love:
Aside from the first big mistake, things were looking better again. I really hope she'll take her time in the off season and sort some things out. So much talent, so grogeous to watch.
Gracie did a good job overall. For her first time in seniors and a re-worked programm she held herself very well. Wish her all the best, hope she can continue to live up to her talent.
Sad that Kanako messed up so badly, but that might be the long season affecting her too. I'm not so sad to say byebye to her FS this year, it never really fit her, I hope she gets a better programm next year again!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not too sad to say goodbye to any of these programs :laugh:

Can't wait for next season :clap:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Overslept and missed the ladies and pairs. I did watch the medal ceremony tho.

Congrats to Akiko, Carolina and Ashely!

Congrats to Team Japan, Team USA and Team Canada!

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^ can you clarify your question and I will give you an answer??

I mean, will there a different set of individuals for the actual olympics individual event and team event

like examples:

Olympics Ladies - Gracie Gold , Carolina Zhang, Ashley Wagner
Olympics TE - Alissa Czisny

Olympics Ladies - Julia Lipnitskaya, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Adelina Sotnikova
Olympics TE - Alena Leonova

Olympics Ice Dance - Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, Ivan/Bukin, Ilinkyh/Katsalpov
Olympics TE - Bobroba/Soloviev

is that how this TE will work
you can have different set of skaters ?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. Think about it this way, if you are fighting for an Olympic medal would you send your B team??? Heck no. Esp if they B team is composed of headcases, weak links, etc. They have to choose from those who qualify to the individual events.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would hope so. It would be terrible to ask the competitors of the regular events to have to skate in the teams events also. Can you imagine if one them gets hurts in the team competition?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No. Think about it this way, if you are fighting for an Olympic medal would you send your B team??? Heck no. Esp if they B team is composed of headcases, weak links, etc. They have to choose from those who qualify to the individual events.

but wouldn't that be too much ? investing in two event competitions
some skaters might get disadvantaged suffering pressure and fatigue already :disapp:

I would hope so. It would be terrible to ask the competitors of the regular events to have to skate in the teams events also. Can you imagine if one them gets hurts in the team competition?

exactly
not a good idea getting the options from the same qualifiers

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Supposedly they can substitute, key word here is supposedly. For example Chan can skate the SP and Reynolds the LP.

Don't know if this is true yet, but the team must come from those who have qualified for individual events. The Olympic committee don't want to build more housing so they want to keep the number of athletes the same...which is probably why Synchronized skating isn't an Olympic sport.

What should happen is to just get rid of the exhibition and move the team event there and then move all the individual events to start sooner so that everything fits in the schedule.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No. The number of entrants that qualify for the Olympics doesn't change. For example, if the Olympics were next year, Canada would have three men and dance teams, two pairs, and one lady. The skaters who did the main competition and the team event would have to come from that. So, example, presume this is Canada's Olympic team.

Men: Chan, Reynolds, Rogozine
Ladies: Osmond
Pairs: Mt/M, D/R
Dance: V/M, W/P, G/P

One from each discipline would participate in the team event short program. Then Canada could substitute skaters in up to two disciplines for the free. IF a qualifying team DOESN'T have a participant in that event (lets say that the Canadian lady bombed at Worlds a la Chen Lu in 1997 and didn't qualify for the Olympics at Nebelhorn/whatever), they do get a slot for one skater, but the ISU wants the top skaters to compete.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^OK this was just a great explanation. Thank you!!! Lord knows I wouldn't want to send my B team. Just saying....

I might have to steal this post if someone asks again :biggrin::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Random depressing observation: Phaneuf's TES in the LP was lower than Kostner's or Susuzki's TES in the SP. Canada might be wise to give up it's single ladies slot to a pairs team (oh, if we could!)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Random depressing observation: Phaneuf's TES in the LP was lower than Kostner's or Susuzki's TES in the SP. Canada might be wise to give up it's single ladies slot to a pairs team (oh, if we could!)

Ksenia Makarova will solve this problem :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Gracie didn't quite kick butt like i was hoping in the LP but at least we didn't see her look petrified like Alissa or Mirai do and she kept fighting even though things weren't going her way. No 5 falls for this girl. :laugh:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Gracie Gold did very well in her senior debut. She was just a fraction of a point behind Adelina. If she had done her triple-triple, she would have been in fourth, easily. I also liked the fact that she didn't seem to have the fear that both Alissa and Mirai always seem to have before they skate. I am not saying it should have happened, but if Gracie had gone to Worlds instead of Alissa, the US would probably have three spots next year.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gracie looked a bit rattled before the skate, but she never gave up. Her score of 169+ would have put her ahead of Mao Asada at Worlds, in 6th place. Combined with Ashley's 4th place finish, Gracie would have been seeded in the GP for 2 events, and the US would have 3 ladies spots.

So while I wanted Gracie to deliver the skate she had at Jr Worlds or US Nationals her, that was an excellent debut skate for a US lady these days, and for a girl who didn't even make it to Nationals last year.

Yoyogi full of screaming fans, with all the weight of possibly medalling or possibly helping your team win was a bit overwhelming in the LP for all the ladies. Maybe Meite & LaCoste skated nearly their best. No one else did.

hurrah

Medalist
Came back from Yoyogi stadium and just some random thoughts.

My first time to see Alena and of course it was her off day but I saw what it was that could make her win on a good day. She has this ability to accelerate into her jumps which I did not see with any other skater. In all other aspects, I did not see anything particularly superior (compared to the other elite skaters that are her competitors, that is). I thought her stroking was not that great, particularly compared to Carolina's whose stroking had this smoothness to it that was beautiful to behold, but even compared to others, I thought her stroking looked awkward (which made me think that former ice dancers don't know how to teach stroking very well).

Both Adelina and Gracie Gold were very nice, speedy, big skaters. Gracie's jumps looked so stable and textbook compared to Adelina's, though. It really bothers me that Adelina lifts her leg too high when she lands jumps because it seems to break the flow. I thought Adelina had some other jump issues that needed resolving. In terms of skating skills and spins, Adelina was better. I disagree with some posters who think that Gracie would have done just as well at Worlds. Her teammates, I think, really helped her get into the competition with their cheering, and it was really a perfect way for her to debut as a senior skater. She might have given a far poorer performance if she had been thrown into Worlds.

Kanako's jumps were really scary. I thought she was going to fall every time she took off and it's amazing that she landed some. It's a shame because Kanako showed so much potential. Yamada Machiko really doesn't know how to coach jumps and she should realize her limitations and get Kanako a proper jump coach. Also, Kanako bobs up and down too much when she is stroking around.

I have other things I saw and thought but it would take too long to write them all out so that's all regarding the skaters.

Regarding the stadium, there was this camera hanging from the ceiling on two crisscrossing strings (if you look carefully, you can sometimes spot it in the background of the skaters) and the camera was following the skaters around the whole time they were skating. The footage was hardly used, I think, but I think it must have been this camera that was also picking up the sound of the skater's blades?? Anyway, I thought it was really neat.

The Italian and French teams showed alot of team spirit and comradery, followed closely by the American team. I think the Russian team today made an effort to show team spirit as well. The Japanese team were very supportive as well but they are Japanese after all and it was not in them to act so rowdy as the Italian/French/American. The Canadian team was fairly quiet. They were dressed mostly in black as opposed to the other teams who were dressed up in color. However, Tessa and Scott were in their seats well before their other teammates and in this way were trying to show their respect for the event, I guess. I saw Patrick snacking alot! I guess he was hungry.

Just some random observations.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I was pleasantly surprised to see how many gifts and flowers Adelina got. I think only Japanese and Carolina got more. And Adelina has never skated in Japan before. She has the highest and longest jumps among all participants, but the quality of landings and other stuff didn't make them be perfect. Yet. Still she won over her main competitior at this event, she got her seasonal best and this I am sure left her in a good spirit. Gracie's skating is only jumping, posturing and too many cross overs. Compared to her Ashley in her cast iron skates was like a prima-ballerina of the Bolshoi theatre. All this Gracie's ice princess image is fine, but it can't work forever. She should do something and her current coach team is not going to help her much. I know she is still young, but. What I am saying is she doesn't look as promising as Mao or Yuna looked at her age. In the warm-up Kanako did everything she wanted to do. But then in skating she just failed to deliver. Caro almost could make me sleepy but the supportive and cheerful audience wouldn't let it happen. In general Ladies event was well-attended with both bowls full (Saturday).