Ladies Free | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is 17yo. She should skate with a bit more polished. She doesn't have a program that I would go back to watch again like the other girls.

Gracie is SIXTEEN. She won't turn 17 until mid-August. This was her first season of international competition, so it's unrealistic to expect a finished, polished skater with mind-blowing presentation.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought
1) Leonova was horrible, maybe due to her illness, or she's tires, or her LP is not that good.
2) Adelina...I wish she had her stunning combo, but on the whole it was pretty good. She showed great deal of things, not just elements. Mezmerizimg to watch.
3) Ashley - I am a fan of hers this season, I hope she can keep the same level and doesn't blow next year, like Alissa and Mirai.
4) Gracie - she seemed consistent, but at the end of the program she lost focus and made errors. Overall impression - fine, made me smile, I liked her, though I don't think she can be a medal contender as there are much more gifted ladies now in the field who have much more than just solid stable jumps.
5) Kanako - I don't like her
6) Akiko - beautiful, she reminded me of Yu-Na today
7) Carolina - I'm just a fan of figure skating and I don't understand all this fuss about her...I see nothing, I've never seen, and never will. I prefer Mao, Yu-Na, Alissa (when she's on), Liza.
I agree with most of what you said except about Gracie two years is a long time in Ladies skating. Carolina will be 27 will she be able to keep up her consistency? Akiko will be almost 29. It's almost unheard of someone that age contending for a medal at the Olympics. If Gracie does the work and works on her presentation she doesn't need to be the second coming of Michelle Kwan. Her jumps make her a threat already. 110 points for a flawed LP tells me the judges already think highly of her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with most of what you said except about Gracie two years is a long time in Ladies skating. Carolina will be 27 will she be able to keep up her consistency? Akiko will be almost 29. It's almost unheard of someone that age contending for a medal at the Olympics. If Gracie does the work and works on her presentation she doesn't need to be the second coming of Michelle Kwan. Her jumps make her a threat already. 110 points for a flawed LP tells me the judges already think highly of her.

She left a ton of points on the table. She lost 4.1 points by not doing the 3-3. She also lost 6.49 points by totally waxeling it on her 3-jump combo. She could have scored closer to 120 if she skated this program clean. That is crazy to think about.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She left a ton of points on the table. She lost 4.1 points by not doing the 3-3. She also lost 6.49 points by totally waxeling it on her 3-jump combo. She could have scored closer to 120 if she skated this program clean. That is crazy to think about.

That's the problem. Look at T/T, when they are clean, they will medal/contend for medal.
When she's clean, she's still not there yet. She's more like D/C at this point.
She can be the next Joannie with the right push and the right packaging.

artsciboy

On the Ice
It shocks me how much faith the JSF has in Murakami. She skates like a feral child. Its unsettling.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocal breakdown.

Base Value

Ashley 58.35
Akiko 52.18
Yretha 51.39
Gracie 50.45
Mae Berenice 49.43
Adelina 48.26
Alena 48.67
Valetina 45.56
Carolina 45.54
Amelie 44.65
Kanako 39.74
Cynthia 38.09

GOE
Adelina 7.78
Carolina 5.64
Akiko 4.86
Gracie 3.89
Ashley 3.14
Valetina 1.04
Mae Berenice .55
Amelie .40
Alena -.24
Kanako - 2.01
Cynthia -2.18
Yretha -8.15 (ouch!)

Jumps
Ashley 42.25
Gracie 37.25
Akiko 36.89
Mae Bernice 36.46
Adelina 36.35
Alena 32.77
Carolina 31.81
Yretha 29.63
Valentina 28.73
Amelie 28.55
Kanako 20.18
Cynthia 18.69

Nonjump elements
Akiko 20.15
Adelina 19.69
Carolina 19.37
Ashley 19.24
Valetina 17.87
Kanako 17.55
Cynthia 17.22
Gracie 17.09
Amelie 16.50
Alena 15.66
Yretha 13.61
Mae Bernice 13.52

Highest combo:
Yretha 2A-3T-2T 9.50
Mae Bernice 2A-3T-2T 9.10
Adelina 3F-2T-2Lo 9.00
Ashley 3F-2T-2Lo 8.80
Gracie 3Z-2T 8.73
Amelia 3Lo-2Lo-2Lo 8.47
Akiko 2A-3T 8.30
Carolina 3S-2T-2T 7.78
Cythnia 3T-2T-2T 7.67
Alena 3F-2T 7.56
Valetina 3S-2T 5.6
Kanako 3S<-2T<<-1Lo 3.80

Highest single jump
Carolina 3Lo 6.50
Adelina 3Lo 6.41
Alena 3F 6.23
Ashley 3Lo 6.11
Akiko 3F 6.00
Valetina 3Z 5.70
Amelie 3Lo 5.60
Kanako 3F 5.50
Gracie 3S 5.42
Mae Bernice 3Lo 5.00
Yretha 3Z 3.90
Cynthia 3T 3.81

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's the problem. Look at T/T, when they are clean, they will medal/contend for medal.
When she's clean, she's still not there yet. She's more like D/C at this point.
She can be the next Joannie with the right push and the right packaging.

Why are you comparing Gracie to T/T? T/T has been on the senior circuit for two full years, Gracie's did only one senior competition.

When she does a full season, then I think we'll all have a better idea.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
but it doesn't matter this was Gracie's first seniors, remember Liza ? her first seniors was a bang though
she blew everyone away at Japan Open. she beat Rochette, Ando, Czisny and others

I think Adelina grew again, she looks taller than Gracie now, she will probably grow a few more inches
her hips have filled out and could be near done of her growing, with that said I am happy she has kept all her humungous jumps
its nice how people afar have thrown teddies after her LP :)

and I don't think Gracie needs to be an Ice princess with typical programs that others seems to be pushing her.

I agree about Gracie, but personally, I haven't been all that impressed with Adelina this season. And she is in no way taller than Gracie, Gracie towered over her on the podium at JW, Adelina is actually quite small, she only looked maybe 2 inches taller than Julia and in the Kiss N' Cry here standing with her teammates, I was shocked to notice how she is basically the same height as Alena and Vera, Vera actually looked maybe a bit taller, and she was clearly smaller than Elena who is average height at most. Adelina has long legs, but I really doubt her height is causing her to struggle, as she's likely only 5'2" to 5'3" from the looks of it. Compared to last season she is about the same height, she maybe put on some weight but I only really notice a change in her face. Therefore I'm thinking she's maybe just not a very strong competitor, she can still do her humongous 3lz-3lo combo, she's just inconsistent in competition now. People say her body has changed a lot and she had a big growthspurt but its not like she had the kind of physical transformation Mirai went through at 15, or Caroline at 16, Gracie last season, etc. She maybe grew an inch and gained 5 pounds since last season, that shouldn't be throwing her off this much. I fear something more deep rooted is causing her struggles. Tuk was much more impressive this season as was Julia and I expect that to continue next season, Liza might not grow more and Julia has such control on her jumps that I don't see puberty giving her a hard time either. Plus looking at her she is built like an elite gymnast, broad shoulders, strong arms, narrow hips, and usually elite gymnasts are very short so perhaps Julia will not grow very tall either. Plus she seems to have a lot more confidence compared to Adelina at this point, Tuk too, she seems to thrive on performing.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kanako got such a low score in the FS because so many of her jumps were UR:

3ze<, 3lo<, 3f, 2t, 1f^2a, 3t<, 3s<+2t<<-df+1lo

She landed only one clean triple.

Unfortunately, Haruka Imai also has a severe UR problem.

If Ando doesn't come back and Asada can't regain her jump consistency, Suzuki will be the top Japanese lady. She's had an amazing season with a GPF silver, a World bronze and WTT gold.

Last edited:

Tanja90

On the Ice
So many 3/3s in the SP and none in the LP.

You have to consider that in the Long program there is the rule about not repeating more than two jumps...Since almost every girl has a 3t3t combo they choose tho avoid it and do a 2a3t (which is the double-trple combo with the highest value) and repeat two jumps with a higher base value than a toeloop...

As for the free today, Ashley deserved to win the long here! I LOVE her Blackswan!
Happy for Akiko's win! She deserved it and it's nice that it happend at home!
Kudos to Carolina! I think she hardly trained at all after worlds and you could see it! But she fought hard after that horrible fall and she did two splendid jump passes! Her long this year is a piece of art!

evangeline

Record Breaker
It shocks me how much faith the JSF has in Murakami. She skates like a feral child. Its unsettling.

LOL, I laughed so hard reading this post that I almost choked to death on my drink. HA! I can totally see what you mean.

And yeah, Kanako's jump technique really is horrendous. When was the last time she actually skated a decent LP?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gracie needs to skate to more powerful music she is never going to be a ballerina like Sasha. But i wish she would give some other choreographers a look at too. She needs some fresh ideas.

I don't think it 's fair to say that a junior skater in her first senior outing needs "fresh ideas." A different idea, maybe. I personally think it is way to soon to offer any kind of advice on what direction her skating should take. I just hope she maintains her jumps and catches a little bit of the competitive spirit that Ashley has shown this season. I am tired of deer-in-the-headlight skaters and so far, am happy that Gracie does not seem to be one of them.

DianaSelene

Medalist

Yes, however I think many skaters at this event got higher scores than usual. They would get lower at other comps and so would Gold. I do think she was scored higher than she should have. It kind of annoys me that she was so close in pcs to Sotnikova who has far superior skating skills, interpretation, and choreography.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You have to consider that in the Long program there is the rule about not repeating more than two jumps...Since almost every girl has a 3t3t combo they choose tho avoid it and do a 2a3t (which is the double-trple combo with the highest value) and repeat two jumps with a higher base value than a toeloop...

It's frustrating because you see all these women capable of doing hard 3/3s and there is absolutely no incentive to do them in the long program. I wish the ISU could somehow figure a way to factor the scoring to reflect that a 3T done after a 3Z is more difficult than one after a 2A.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, however I think many skaters at this event got higher scores than usual. They would get lower at other comps and so would Gold. I do think she was scored higher than she should have. It kind of annoys me that she was so close in pcs to Sotnikova who has far superior skating skills, interpretation, and choreography.

Ashley's score in the LP here (122) was just a touch above the one at Worlds (120). I didn't think the scores were super inflated here. Maybe a touch above but not to the same level as 4CC where Ashley scored a 128.

I still think Gracie would be in the 110-115 range if she did this program at Worlds esp. with a clean program, so I don't think she benefited from inflation.

I agree with you regarding the choreography and interpt but Gracie does have good skating skills. If you look at Gracie's feet, she has nice edges and great ice coverage, I don't think Adelina's is far superior in that regard. Also the judges scored her and Adelina close in PCS at junior worlds too, so it's not a new phenomenon by any means.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Ashley's score in the LP here (122) was just a touch above the one at Worlds (120). I didn't think the scores were super inflated here. Maybe a touch above but not to the same level as 4CC where Ashley scored a 128.

I still think Gracie would be in the 110-115 range if she did this program at Worlds esp. with a clean program, so I don't think she benefited from inflation.

I agree with you regarding the choreography and interpt but Gracie does have good skating skills. If you look at Gracie's feet, she has nice edges and great ice coverage, I don't think Adelina's is far superior in that regard. Also the judges scored her and Adelina close in PCS at junior worlds too, so it's not a new phenomenon by any means.

Well, the superinflation was not as much in the ladies fs as in ladies sp. I think the scores should have been lower there. Whether it's a new phenomenon or not with pcs, I think even if you discount skating skills and performance, the other categories should have been higher for Sotnikova. At this point it doesn't matter anymore. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kanako got such a low score in the FS because so many of her jumps were UR:

3ze<, 3lo<, 3f, 2t, 1f^2a, 3t<, 3s<+2t<<-df+1lo

She landed only one clean triple.

Unfortunately, Haruka Imai also has a severe UR problem.

If Ando doesn't come back and Asada can't regain her jump consistency, Suzuki will be the top Japanese lady. She's had an amazing season with a GPF silver, a World bronze and WTT gold.

Yes, it's very frustrating. Imai not only has UR issues but is also wildly inconsistent in the FS, worse than Kanako, her score regularly goes down into the 80s. Shoji was injured this season but she also has major UR issues. Even Miyahara has UR issues despite being so diminutive, surely as she grows it will only become worse. I really like the skating of Kanako, Haruka, and Risa but I'm afraid the URs will prevent them from really having an impact on the international stage (well, Kanako has already, but it could jeopardize her future). Seems like an unsettling trend for the young Japanese ladies skaters...