Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will Olympic Gold skaters pull out of retirement?

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar

Will Olympic Team Gold pull skaters out of retirement?

I remember in 2008 Summer Olympics how happy Roger Federer-(professional single tennis player) was to win an olympic medal even though it was only in doubles.

Plusenko, Evan, and Weir have already announced plans of comming back. Could Miki Ando, Joannie, Jeffery Buttle comback too?

Team Canada would realy need Joannie for a chance at Gold. Jeffery buttle can give Chan a rest and skate the short program.(based on substitution rules)
    Last edited by enlight78; 04-25-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Banned
    Kevin Reynolds is improving i think he could skate a good short program his scores will be higher by then for ladies who knows maybe Kaitlyn Osmond or Joannie she has talked about maybe coming back for team competition.

Custom Title
    Emmanuel Sandhu!

Custom Title

Post Joannie Rochette is considering it

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/debats/chr...les-petits.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joannie Rochette
    «C'est peut-être faisable. Ma carrière est complète, mais j'aimerais aller aux Jeux olympiques pour m'amuser, vivre des Jeux positifs. La dernière fois, je ne m'étais pas amusée...»

Translation: Maybe it's possible [re: going to Sochi]. I have accomplished everything I want in my career but I would like to go to another Olympic Games to have fun and to enjoy the experience. I wasn't able to enjoy it last time...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/la-tribune...haque-jour.php

Quote Originally Posted by Joannie Rochette
    «Je change d'idée chaque jour! Un matin, je me lève et ça me tente de participer aux Jeux de 2014 à Sotchi et le matin suivant, je ne désire plus m'embarquer là-dedans : dans le stress et l'entraînement. Aujourd'hui (samedi), j'ai vu les résultats du championnat du monde et je suis comme en feu! Ça me tente de reprendre l'entraînement! Je dois réfléchir à tout ça et ce ne sera pas une décision prise sur un coup de tête.»
    Translation: I change my mind every day! I can wake up one day totally determined to go to Sochi, then the next day, I feel deflated about the idea because of the stress and all the training that is required. Today, I saw the results of the World Championship (Nice 2012) and I felt like I was on fire! (implying that seeing how poorly Canada did in ladies, it makes her mad) It was like I want to re-start training now! However, I want to carefully consider this and this will not be a decision taken during the heat of the moment.

In addition, she also said she will make that decision within a year, leaving the door open for a possible return in either the 2012-13 season or the 2013-14 season. For what it is worth, this time last year, Joannie already ruled out returning for the 2011-12 season. So this represents an "improvement" if you will, to the possibility that she will put on her war cloth again.

I hope she comes back in the 2012-13 season seeing that the Worlds will take place in Canada. Given how miserable Canadian women are without her, there is very little doubt in my mind Skate Canada will beg her to come back to bridge the gap between now and 2014, until some of the younger talents are fully emerged.
    Last edited by wallylutz; 04-21-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Custom Title
    If Joannie does not return for the 2012-2013 season, she will put too much stress on herself trying to get back in competitive shape less than a year before the Olympics. She will be 27 in January 2013, and it will be a tough job gearing herself up to do the hard jumps consistently in a long program after having been away from competition for nearly 4 years.

Sasha Cohen tried to do just that at a younger age, and would up injuring herself.

So if Joannie really wants to go to the Olympics, she had better make up her mind in the next month or so.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=wallylutz;639364]http://www.cyberpresse.ca/debats/chr...les-petits.php

Translation: Maybe it's possible [re: going to Sochi]. I have accomplished everything I want in my career but I would like to go to another Olympic Games to have fun and to enjoy the experience. I wasn't able to enjoy it last time...

Translation: I change my mind every day! I can wake up one day totally determined to go to Sochi, then the next day, I feel deflated about the idea because of the stress and all the training that is required. Today, I saw the results of the World Championship (Nice 2012) and I felt like I was on fire! (implying that seeing how poorly Canada did in ladies, it makes her mad) It was like I want to re-start training now! However, I want to carefully consider this and this will not be a decision taken during the heat of the moment.

Thanks for the quote and the translation. I decided to try reading the French first, and I got a lot of it on my own, but there were shades of meaning that I missed, and your translation was so beautifully smooth (far more than the one I was thinking) that it conveyed Joannie's "voice" very effectively.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That's probably true.

Unfortunately, I believe that you have to have qualified as a non team skater to skate for the team gold, similar to the Gymnastics competition at Olympics. However, unlike gymnastics, the team event is not used as a qualifier for the individual medals. If it were, it would be a good thing, but fewer countries would be able to compete, which would be bad.

Some thought should be taken now at exactly how they are going to run this event at Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Unfortunately, I believe that you have to have qualified as a non team skater to skate for the team gold, similar to the Gymnastics competition at Olympics. However, unlike gymnastics, the team event is not used as a qualifier for the individual medals. If it were, it would be a good thing, but fewer countries would be able to compete, which would be bad.
    Sorry for veering off topic, but have they changed the gymnastics qualifying procedures for this year? In the past the teams always had to qualify but the individuals on those teams did not have to qualify to the Olympics (only to their respective teams).. Also, the team finals (medal round) haven't been used as a a qualifier for individual events since compulsories were dropped after 1996. Team preliminaries were used as qualifiers to individual events and team finals. Did they change this? Maybe I need to look it up ... haven't been paying attention. Maybe I should just look it up

I think it would be nice if qualified teams were able to use different skaters in the team event if they wanted to. Or to enter an extra skater or team if only one qualified in their individual disciplines. This would give it a bit more of a level playing field, although I can't think of many situations where teams might actually take advantage of that other than Joannie.

What do they do in sports with relays, like speed skating? Do all of the participants need to qualify individually or can teams bring athletes just for the relay? Just curious.

I think the team qualifies, and then the federation selects its team members, just as before.

Then the team event qualifies a gymnast for the final, but there are a couple of new twists that were used at Worlds, and I presume will be used at Olympics?????

However, these days, at least at Worlds, some outstanding individuals from weak teams do qualify to World allaround or individual events without being part of the team event. I'm not sure how this qualification works, because I don't follow gymnastics as closely as I once did.

If Joannie comes back, hopefully she is as good as she was before, but on the other hand it probably won't take much to be better than Lacoste or Phaneuf. I am crossing my fingers that Lacoste has some improvement in the next two years though, as she has shown SOME improvement since the last Olympic cycle.

I think the idea that Jeff Buttle might come back is kind of like a when-pigs-can-fly thing, lol. I'm hoping for a return of Shawn Sawyer, but I'm pretty sure he's done (plus I know he'd have to take on Kevin to get the spot).

I think the Canadians should have Megan Duhamel skate the WTT if Joannie doesn't come back. She's a better singles skater than Phaneuf is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I think the Canadians should have Megan Duhamel skate the WTT if Joannie doesn't come back. She's a better singles skater than Phaneuf is these days.
    Is that allowed, with her already (probably - barring a meltdown at the 2014 Nats) competing in pairs?

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    If Joannie comes back, hopefully she is as good as she was before, but on the other hand it probably won't take much to be better than Lacoste or Phaneuf. I am crossing my fingers that Lacoste has some improvement in the next two years though, as she has shown SOME improvement since the last Olympic cycle.

I think the idea that Jeff Buttle might come back is kind of like a when-pigs-can-fly thing, lol. I'm hoping for a return of Shawn Sawyer, but I'm pretty sure he's done (plus I know he'd have to take on Kevin to get the spot).
    Actually, I forgot, Canada MAY have three mens spots for the Olympics if we do as well as we did at Worlds this year.

Custom Title
    1. Heh - Duhamel could compete, but she'd have to qualify - get the minimum score etc.

2. Sawyer had to take down Reynolds for a spot before - and did so, with Alice in Wonderland. Reynolds is certainly no lock for the Olympics.

3. After Plushenko (no longer speculation, imo), I think Rochette, Ando and Lysacek are the most likely to return. Granted, most likely means "slim chance of" in this case, but Wier, Buttle... even slimmer.

I think if Buttle was gonna come back he would have came back in 2010 when the Olympics were actually in Canada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast