Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Will Olympic Gold skaters pull out of retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    1. Heh - Duhamel could compete, but she'd have to qualify - get the minimum score etc.

2. Sawyer had to take down Reynolds for a spot before - and did so, with Alice in Wonderland. Reynolds is certainly no lock for the Olympics.

3. After Plushenko (no longer speculation, imo), I think Rochette, Ando and Lysacek are the most likely to return. Granted, most likely means "slim chance of" in this case, but Wier, Buttle... even slimmer.
    yeah, Sawyer was amazing at 2011 Nats, too bad he didn't get to use his Worlds spot because of the postponement! (although I know it was his choice to skate the CSOI tour instead).

Am I the only one who dislikes this event? I mean, there is absolutely no tradition of a team competition in figure skating, and it is nothing like gymnastics.

I'd rather have, say the top 10 from the previous synchro worlds compete for Olympic medals. Include all figure skating disciplines!

My dream is for Michelle Kwan to comeback

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    I'd rather have, say the top 10 from the previous synchro worlds compete for Olympic medals. Include all figure skating disciplines!
    Too costly and too much additional housing to use.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFigures View Post
    Am I the only one who dislikes this event? I mean, there is absolutely no tradition of a team competition in figure skating, and it is nothing like gymnastics.
    I'm with you. The selection process doesn't seem strategically compelling at all. It would just be your top 2 skaters in each discipline. If I come in 2nd at Nationals and get to do singles but not team, I'd be pretty mad... especially if my team is likely to medal and I am not. I also don't know if I would want to watch the same programs again over a 2 week span.

Custom Title
    yes even Surya Bonaly liked the team format and may comeback

Ps Not sure if the ISU will open its floodgates again to professional skaters but who knows? the ISU are trying to broaden the sport by introducing the WTT which was a lot of fun, it might entice a lot of the pro skaters - which would be good for the sport, BUT like someone has already said there needs to be some thought how selection is used prior to the olympics.

Olympic Gold with the help of the team would entice a lot of skaters.
    Last edited by russell30; 04-25-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Custom Title
    I believe skaters will have to qualify to be on the TEAM, that is, to do BOTH the Team Event and the individual singles event.

That means performing the programs twice. I'm not sure the skaters talking about returning realize that it means a full commitment, not just a 'guest' appearance.

Looking back to how returnees did in the 1994 Olympics, none of them were able to get on the podium. So even in a team effort, the oldies may not be as much value to their team as they might think.

Custom Title
    I'm confused. I thought Dimitriev and his partner, Gordeeva and Grinkov, Torvil and Dean all podiumed after coming back from retirement - maybe Artur was still skating I don't know but still there were some podium placements from retirees. Also, Petrenko was just off the podium I believe.

Custom Title
    We haven't heard of any Pairs or Dance teams considering returning for Sochi. I was referring to the SINGLE skaters who returned in 1994:

WITT (8TH)
    PETRENKO (4TH)
    BROWNING (5TH)
    BOITANO (6TH)

Custom Title
    Browning never retired actually

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    The only lady that could've come back in 1994 and medaled (and maybe even won again) was Kristi Yamaguchi. Come to think of it, she could make the US team now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2