Will Olympic Gold skaters pull out of retirement? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Olympic Gold skaters pull out of retirement?

russell30

Final Flight
yes even Surya Bonaly liked the team format and may comeback:biggrin:

Ps Not sure if the ISU will open its floodgates again to professional skaters but who knows? the ISU are trying to broaden the sport by introducing the WTT which was a lot of fun, it might entice a lot of the pro skaters - which would be good for the sport, BUT like someone has already said there needs to be some thought how selection is used prior to the olympics.

Olympic Gold with the help of the team would entice a lot of skaters.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe skaters will have to qualify to be on the TEAM, that is, to do BOTH the Team Event and the individual singles event.

That means performing the programs twice. I'm not sure the skaters talking about returning realize that it means a full commitment, not just a 'guest' appearance.

Looking back to how returnees did in the 1994 Olympics, none of them were able to get on the podium. So even in a team effort, the oldies may not be as much value to their team as they might think.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm confused. I thought Dimitriev and his partner, Gordeeva and Grinkov, Torvil and Dean all podiumed after coming back from retirement - maybe Artur was still skating I don't know but still there were some podium placements from retirees. Also, Petrenko was just off the podium I believe.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We haven't heard of any Pairs or Dance teams considering returning for Sochi. I was referring to the SINGLE skaters who returned in 1994:

WITT (8TH)
PETRENKO (4TH)
BROWNING (5TH)
BOITANO (6TH)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
The only lady that could've come back in 1994 and medaled (and maybe even won again) was Kristi Yamaguchi. Come to think of it, she could make the US team now!